Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Schuemann AET

Jason Quick

I will be ordering a SVI single stack in the next few weeks and would like some feedback on the Schuemann AET barrels.  It will be a bushing barrel .40 S&W, used primarily for IDPA shooting minor loads.  I will also be using it for Limited 10 (major loads) until I save up for a BIG beautiful SVI Limited gun.

-Jason

Personally I think the AET barrel is great in 40.  No funtion problems and it's super accurate.  Also, my gunsmith has fit up quite a few of these and had no complaints about them from that aspect.

The only down side I have encountered is the chamber fluting.  I run my brass through and EGW sizing die, which is a little tighter than a standard 40 die.  I've had a few peices of brass split after the had been shot in the fluted chamber and then resized.  I guess it takes away a little from the life of the brass, at least in my gun.  But that has been minimal, and a very very small price to pay for all of the good things about the AET.

Matt

A40855

yes, the chamber is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE! That's good news (reliability!) and bad news (case life). Otherwise, I like mine, except for the price tag. Last time I checked (1 y ago) it was still about $ 100 more expensive than Wil's other barrels...

--Detlef

• 4 months later...

hmmm... I have about 30k of Montana Gold .40 FMJ 180s thru mine, and no visible signs of wear on the barrel. The case life *problem* turned out not to be a problem at all, I just watch not to reload more than about 10 times (which I would anyway). The only thing that would keep me from buying another AET is the price. Accuracy is good indeed, but not visibly better than the standard Schueman's. It just doesn't seem to be worth the extra $100. Keep in mind that Montana Gold is not the most accurate bullet I could find, it's merely the cheapest (about $50/1000).

--Detlef

I thought i posted something to this effect recently but I can't find it?  A local GM told me at nationals that AET barrels are keyholing after a few thousand rds!  He knows of at least 4 shooters that are having serious problems!

His thoughts were "you can't get something for nothing....those barrels have too many NEW things to be considered reliable..what's wrong with conventional rifling...?"  

That combined with Chuck's experience......well, it's definately something worthy of  investigation/consideration.

I've been having an extraction problem with my .38 Super Tribrid AET.  I'm loading for a 5" Tribrid so I've got 9.2 grains behind Montana Gold 125's.  I've got the extractor so tight that sometimes the gun won't close and sometimes the rim is partially torn off by the extractor and still the cases stick.  I called Wil and he told me that my problem was the powder 3N37 was too fast and the Starline Brass was no good.  The cases come out of the gun in the shape of the chamber, fluted. The gun works o.k. if the load is light but at major PF the cases stick tight.  I tried polishing but that didn't do any good.  His suggestion was to use slower powder 3N38, AA7, WW541 and regular Winchester .38 Super +P brass.  Unfortunately my gun is set up for rimless brass so switching brass means buying a new breechface.  I can shoot this load in my other open gun with a 5" Clark barrel and Dawson cone comp and they work fine, 190 PF but the gun runs. My .02

On the WSXIII trip, I had occasion to ride in a car from the range with 3 GM's of big name status.  (No, I won't tell you who.)

The conclusion was that the benefits are small, and are outweighed by the costs/potential for problem.

Grtanted, in the scheme of things, an extra $100 cost on a near-$2000 blaster isn't much.  But when we already know how to wring less than 2 inches at 50 yards out of them, how much more do we need?

FWIW, I had extraction problems with my .45 AET. Like, *serious* extraction problem...and not just with my crappy practice reloads, but with my match 200-grain Cor-Bon round noses. To make sure I wasn't having a Senior Moment, I ran the same mix of ammo through my Significant Other's out-of-the-box Kimber Match Target, my ancient Gold Cup and an LDA I've got lying around here on T&E. Not a bauble. Chamber must be 'way tight!

MB

• 2 months later...

I just don't understand the purpose of the AET chamber (why is it fluted like that).  Nor have I seen any explanation for the design.  What are the benefits?  Is there really a significant difference between this barrel and a standard?  Enough to make the additional cost worthwhile?  I just don't get it.  I would appreciate someone explaining the idea to me.  Thanks.

Jack

I think the theory may be if one had less bearing surface between the chamber wall and the case, that the extraction would be less problematic, however, you have to remember that when the case expands, it forms to the chamber.  I would expect the case to start fire-forming to the flutes.  I think the AET stuff is mostly gimmicky BS.  My opinion.

I replaced a regular Scheuman with an AET in my .40.  I went with the AET because I was assured that I would not have to ream the chamber.  This turned out to be false.

The old barrel was better than I can shoot, and the new one is no worse, so thats all I have to say about that.

I have noticed better feeding with the AET.  It used to be that I had to maintain a particular attitude on the top round in the mags.  If I let the lips of the mag get out of tune, We be Jammin'.  Now I find that if the rounds feed up, they will chamber.  The angle of the top round is almost irrelevant.  

For IPSC, almost any barrel has enough accuracy.  Better reliability is where I think the AET has the edge.

there are apparently several generations of AETs around. The chamber in my .40 is *huge*, reliability unprecedented, and accuracy as good as in a very tight-chambered regular Schueman.

As I wrote before, I probably would shy away from it only because of price.

--Detlef