Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Guy

privateer

Hello. Not really new to shooting, but have never competed before. Just always enjoyed shooting. Thinking of IDPA to start and go from there. I have mostly Beretta 9mm pistols and a couple of 1911s, including one in 9mm. I plan to try IDPA and IPSC (production) at my local club, but need to practice shooting from a holster and at speed.

Any suggestions on belts and holsters that would work for these applications? I actually have a Gilmore Speed Leader that I picked up as a package deal, but it is way to complicated for me at this point and I don't think it is legal for anything I want to do right now.

Any advice is appreciated.

If you already have a stiff leather belt that will do. If not, a Wilderness 5 stitch or CSM belt would do you well for the game and for everyday, depending on what you wear.

As far as holsters, look for injection molded plastic from someone like Blade-Tech or Uncle Mikes or ones made from Kydex from folks like Kytac, Blade-Tech, CompTac or Blade-Tech (again). Kydex is more expensive - both are good. Mag holders from any of these will do you just fine. The Tek-Lock (sp?) feature that Blade-Tech has is pretty slick for easy on/off.

Last of all - welcome. There is a ton of info here. You can dig out most of it by using the Search function. We've discussed this topic at length more times than most of us can count to so you'll have no shortage of reading material.

Good luck and, again, welcome.

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you get an inexpensive Kydex holster like Uncle Mike's etc and use it until you know which gun or guns your are going to shoot. You may really get hooked and buy a new gun. After you compete for a while you will have a better idea of what you like/want.

Most people are more than willing to let you try thier equipment. That is the best way to see what you really like.

Hola and welcome to the Enosverse!

Let me start by suggesting you read as much as you can in these boards. There is a wealth of knowledge here as well as many great shooters always willing to answer questions and provide guidance. Get familiar with the SEARCH OPTION here since many of the questions that you may ask, have maybe already been asked and answered.

Find the club closest to you that hosts a local USPSA or IDPA match and go to a match. For the first one, if don't feel comfortable competing right out, go to look and ask questions about gear, rules, etc.

Become a member of USPSA and learn about the divisions, the equipment allowed in each one of them and become familiar with the rulebook.

Find training material, videos and books, and watch and read. CLICK HERE for a great source of these materials.

You have good handguns. Your Berettas are very good Production Division guns and your 1911s fit in the Provisional Single Stack Division (PSSD) as well as in Limited-10. How many magazines do you have for each? I'd recommend you have at least 5 mags for your production, single stack and L10 guns.

The holster you refer to is the Gilmore race holster, right? In Production and PSSD divisions, race holsters are not allowed. It needs to be something more similar to a carry holster. Most of us use some type of Kydex or injection molded plastic holster. Get magazine pouches, a belt and OFF TO THE RACES!

Most important about the shooting is to HAVE FUN! :D

Enjoy!

Any kydex holster is recommended. Better check with IDPA though. They have some strange holster requirements that will exclude some holsters. If you don't already have a regular gun belt, picking one up would be a good idea. You can use it everyday and use it in IDPA. You can also use it in USPSA to start. Eventually, you will probably want a CR Speed belt for USPSA. CR Speed mag pouches are also good - not sure if they are legal for IDPA.

I shoot Production and have CR Speed belt, a hybred Blade Tech Drop Offset / Chris Stewart holster and Guga Ribas mag pouches.

Welcome to a new dimension in shooting!

Tons of information on this forum. Also check out the new competitor information via USPSA Home Page. See if a local club puts on a new competitor clinic. Good way to work into it safely.

Unless you have money to waste, study first and go slow with the new gear.

This is a fun sport. Do not forget to have fun! Enjoy the company of your fellow competitors! Safety First!!

If you are serious about speed, don't worry about it at this point. Work on fundamentals and mechanics first. Practice and discipline will take you there the right way. You will find this forum can introduce you to many avenues of practice that can be used to build up speed with discipline. Speed with bad habits are blind alleys.

In the package deal I also received some Safariland 1911 Mag holders. Looks like a folded over piece of leather with a small roller securing the open side. Also has a loop or slot to slip a belt through. Is this mag holder legal for IDPA or USPSA Production?

Anyone want to trade a belt (better make it an oversized 36 waist) and an IDPA and USPSA Production legal (1911 or Beretta Brigadier) holster for a way-over-my-head Gilmore Speed Leader?

Dillon 550 - Picked up a used one last week in a distress sale. Couldn't resist. That's how I ended up with the holster and mag holders. It came as a package but I had to order a few items from Dillon. Now I have to figure out how to reload too! What is the best resource for learning how to reload 9mm and .45?

Buy at least one good reloading manual. Maybe Hodgdon or Speer. Then get all of the free ones you can from each powder company online. Cross referencing is important.

You can also find plenty of help here by searching or asking a specific question.

Just remember one thing: When you obtain data online or from a friend, be sure to check your data manual to make sure it is safe. Most loads will be listed by someone, somewhere.

About the only exception is some of the major power factor loads for open pistols, like .38 Super and major 9. Most manuals don't list loads like that. For those, you really need to know what you are doing to monitor pressure.

Oh, and Brian has reloading videos here.

Edited by JD45