Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prod. mag pouch placement?

Trey

After watching Matt B's new videa, I was wondering about the placement of mags for production.  

Would it be better to angle the mags so that the index finger stays inline with the arm or keep the mags straight up?

I run straight up right now with my BT mag pouches and I've only seen straight up at matches.  But I'm working on getting a safariland belt and mag pouches.

I usually carry 4 mags on my belt.  I use the last mag as a "barney" mag and put it back there in case I need it during a stage.

Thanks!

For what it is worth, I read a article by Dave Spaulding "a firearms instructor and then some" and he stated that mag. pouches behind the hip line"Production rule type" where faster for him if they were angled forward.  I don't think you could carry 4 single pouches angled forward unless you are realy round.

Hmm...maybe try two angled and one double mag holder for those of us who are horizontally challenged?

I honestly did not think you could run with those, thought it was just the standard straight up and down, but I think I'll give that a try!

I like to angle my pouches bec. when I pull a mag from a straight up position it always seem to drag a bit.  However, going to a SS 1911 seems a bit with a problem with me with my 33 waist and five mags.  :)  Maybe I can keep some mags in my pockets... hmmmm.

This place makes us think a lot!

If angling is legal and okay, why not a quadruple mag holster?  A double double, so all the mags are in the same area - all you do is reach down a touch further as opposed to reaching back more?

Thanks everyone.  It's good food for thought.

Erik,  that's a good idea as it places the mags all close together.  It's simliar to the set up I now use but they are all straight up.  Two single and one double behind it.  Did you see any other configurations @ FGN that you would recommend?

vluc, The only double puch holder (that I've seen) that's adjustable for angle is safariland 177.  You can see it at http://www.holsters.com under competition products.

When I reach around behind the hip during a speedload, my wrist and finger angle seems to naturally position for straight up and down mags. But then I carry the mags further forward than a lot of people, with the front mag right behind the seam in my jeans leg. I can't for the life of me understand the guys who've got the mag pouch six inches back around behind their body. I played with the angled forward stuff a few years ago. It's not very concealable, and, for me at least, not as fast. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW I did just see my first quadruple mag holder.  looked like a box on the guys hip...outer mags were higher, inner lower...seems cumbersome, though.

i do like the option matt just mentioned above with the front two angled rearward

• 1 month later...

I shoot IDPA, so any adjustable mag pouch would be considered "competition" gear.

For production i use a whole bunch of different pouches, 2 wilson singles in front, then a bianchi accumold, and finally an uncle mikes(because its all i had left). The bianchi holds the mags a little below normal placement so its a little easier to get to.

i think once you get to about the 3/4th mag angled slightly forward would be better from natural body placment. however the mags would interfere with the others there and the front mags need to be angled strait up or slightly backwards.

Just my thoughts.