Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure To Eject

hugh

Hi,

I have experienced the same type of stoppage TWICE now in duty related shootings.The extracted shell fails to clear the slide and is trapped in a horizontal "stovepipe" as the gun chambers a new round.

This has happened now with 2 Glock 17's,one firing 127 Talon +P+,the other Winchester 115 +P+.The first,a GEN II with about 1000 duty loads run thru it.The second,a GEN III with about 750 duty loads fired.The GEN II was stock except for a captured ISMI guide rod with a 15lb spring.The GEN III was stock.

Both guns jammed during a rapid fire burst(@.15-.17 splits)after firing 5 or 6 shots.#1 at a pit bull that died at my feet.#2-just this week-on a chow/shepherd mix that was chewing on a toddler.

Both guns were tested using this protocol:With all duty mags,100 rounds of duty ammo were fired into the backstop(in addition to several hundred ball)while moving left,right and backwards.The weapon was held loosely and rotated thru 180 degrees(ejection port up to ejection port down) while burst firing.Firing was done half strong hand only and half weak hand only.No malfs were experienced.

I carry Glock by choice-for durability ,serviceability and,well...reliability :blink:

Advice?Recommendations?I already carry a BUG and 2 knives.

No offense intended, but my first guess is technique. The only common piece to the puzzle is, well, the shooter. I've come across folks that claim their gun jams in this way or that, but I couldn't reproduce it. A little reworking of their grip and the problem disappears. I think that the lightweight polymer framed guns can be susceptible to limp grip syndrome. It's conceivable that in the frenzy of a crisis situation, you just aren't getting a good solid grip on the gun. I've not fired any +P+ ammo through my Glocks, so I can't comment on how well it runs in them. I'm sure recoil is pretty stout!

Thanks for the replies,

1911 is a no-go in my department

No lights or extended slide stops

Limp wristing?Maybe...but both incidents were fired freestyle.Besides,when testing duty ammo I intentionally try to induce stoppages(see original post)

I've had 3 other incidents,with no jams.The first was with a G35,the other 2 with this same G17.One shooting was 8 rounds of Winchester white box 115.I think it was the muzzle blast that stopped that pit.That led me back to hotter ammo... :( .

What gets me is:2 different guns and 2 different loads-same stoppage!

Frak!

Grip on the gun is paramount with the stoppage you describe. I had the same exact problem last year with my G35. If your hands are average size or larger you may find your stong hand thumb pulling tight into the slide. This will slow it down just enough to cause an extraction that doesnt quite get out of the ejection port. A friend of mine had the same problem with his G34 open gun. Once you know how the stoppage occurs youll be able to duplicate it again. I usually let my strong hand thumb ride slightly outwards, away from the slide. You still maintain a firm grip while doing this. I tried all sorts of fixes until I read it in this forum somewhere, tried it and found this to be the cure. Occasionally if I get over eager and bear down on the gun with my grip, the stoppage will reoccur. Hope this helps.

"...but both incidents were fired freestyle."

Frak!

Frak! is right!

Given what you've shared so far, I would look at the possibility that your adreniline-induced grip may have had you riding the slide, as PharaohBender suggested. I have no good suggestion of how to have someone scare the shit out of you before the next testing session, short of having your wife/girlfriend come after your nads with a Ginsu. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Being the same problem in two different guns with two different loads leads me to believe it is shooter induced. I see it all the time as a civilian firearms instructor. Improper grip will lead to malfunctions and consistent accuracy problems with a Glock. I shoot the 127+P+ Ranger in my carry/duty gun also and have performed extensive testing.....both ballistic and reliability testing. Personal and departmental testing. The round is good to go both in lethality for a 9mm round and reliability in a multitude of platforms. My persoanl carry gun that gets carried day in and out is either a G19 or G17. Duty gun is a sig 229R DAK. BUG is a Kahr PM9. All have digested a couple thousand rounds of the Ranger without a hiccup. I would work on that grip and make sure the support hand locks in forward of the strong hand with a camming motion. Grip as high as possible on the gun. The thumb knuckle of the strong hand should be fatigued a bit if gripped as high as it should. Stance has alot to do with grip as well. Alot of controlling recoil is in a good solid stance. I am a firm endorser of the isosceles. This is harsh but a big reality. I see some of the worst shooting and form from LE.

Being the same problem in two different guns with two different loads leads me to believe it is shooter induced.

One other thing...it might be shooter's gun maintenance. Same shooter - same gun - same maintenance. Glocks do not need much lubing, but it also can't be dry.