Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading For Missoula

XRe

Starting to think about ammo for the Open Nats. Never shot at that elevation before. Any thoughts on what I should expect going from Texas to Montana, as far as ammo performance. I know the theories, but I'm wondering if anyone has real world details - like chrono differences at those differing altitudes, etc???

Current load made 173PF at both FL Open and DoubleTap, so....

Cool.... I think I can get my match ammo loaded up out of the current lot of powder I'm using - saves me from having to go through load development before then on a new lot (cause God knows if I'm going to have time for that... ;)

ETA - if I go minor, I can blame you guys.... :lol:

Edited by XRe

If anything, you'll be higher velocity than usual. Less dense air=less drag.

The distance from muzzle to chrono is so short though, the air density should have little effect. You should worry more about temperature swings than altitude I would think.

Edited by TDean

I was looking for better details when I saw this post.

I am getting ready to load for my first trip to Nationals and was wondering about elevation and temp as well.

Any ideas what the high and lows for temp is for that time of year?

But I do have a new batch of 4756 so I need to chrono soon before I start loading match ammo.

+1 on sticking with your load. It would be one thing if we were shooting pistols at distances in the hundreds of yards but there is very little that will change ballistically in 25-50 yds let alone in the 15 ft to the chrono.

With only 10-15 feet of air to bash through before getting to the chrono, altitude per-se will have no measurable effect on PF.

Going from a pure vaccum to sea-level air would only drop a few fps even with a full wadcutter .45 bullet.

The average temperature decreasing with altitude is a concern, but with 7625, you should be golden.

Missoula is the highest city in North America. 14k feet in alitude, so bring crampons. :P

Where'd you hear that?? Missoula International Airport is at 3205'....

I find for me that 7625 is the least temperature variant powder I've used.

Its definitely not bad about it - and (at least, around here) we seem to consistently find that it gets faster as the temperature gets cooler... still can't explain the physics, but... there it is... ;)

Missoula is the highest city in North America. 14k feet in alitude, so bring crampons. :P

:lol: Missoula is a little shy of 3200 ft altitude ... a bit up there from Coeur d'Alene (at 2150 ft) but hardly a record for even the lower 48! :D

Be careful what you ask for because you might get it and then they will all be blaming you.

Leroy, let 'em bitch!!! More advantage for me!!! :D

P.S. 39 degrees Sunday morning

I'm expecting it might be a tad warmer in June, eh??

"I'm expecting it might be a tad warmer in June, eh??"

No, in June it is even colder in Montana...mornings will be in the low 20's.

Edited by Sandoz