Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ad's

jcmcn

I've been shooting IPSC for about a year. I was DQ'd over the weekend for an AD. It the first time for both. It was stupid and careless, made worse by the fact the shot went over the berm. I hung around for a half an hour to see if the cops showed up praying it didn't hit someone.

The point is that to say I was embarassed and humiliated doesn't even begin to describe how I feel 24 hour later. My question to the forum -- I have been told that this happens even to the veterans from time to time,and I have seen one veteran do it, but that's it and part of me is saying that if I am so bad after one year of doing this that I can make a mental mistake like that, perhaps I should take up golf.

I'd appreciate hearing from some of the veterans here. If you want to call me an idiot who brings disgrace to the sport, feel free to, though I've already called myself that enough times. What is the frequency of AD's?

JCMCN, it will most likely be your last. It will most certainly be your last one for an AD as you have learned that hard lesson WELL.

I DQ'd out of my first area match after taking a week off of work to build and man a stage for it. I only made it through the first two stages and then let one go during the reload.

I am VERY aware of my trigger fingers position due to that event.

As I said, it is a hard lesson but one that sticks with you.

JCMCN, it will most likely be your last. It will most certainly be your last one for an AD as you have learned that hard lesson WELL.

I DQ'd out of my first area match after taking a week off of work to build and man a stage for it. I only made it through the first two stages and then let one go during the reload.

I am VERY aware of my trigger fingers position due to that event.

As I said, it is a hard lesson but one that sticks with you.

Thanks for the reply. As you wrote -- it has been very hard lesson, and a difficult 24 hours.

I know it's easy to say, but don't be quite so hard on yourself. You're going to be mad at yourself, and that's a positive thing because it means you'll be safer, but don't let it interfere with your enjoyment of the sport. It can happen to anyone. We're demanding perfection, and humans aren't perfect. You probably won't ever let that happen again, and that's what the rule is there for. Learn from it, but realize it has happened to almost everyone out there at one point or another.

It is said there are two kinds of shooter's: the ones who have had a ad and those that will. With the remorse you are showing in your post you will be very conscious of your trigger control from here on out. Hang in there, Kevin

I guess the luck wasnt with us this weekend because i had my first DQ /AD also.sure isnt fun. drove up 7.5hrs for the match piad 100 bucks and i shot 20 rounds. after that i was bag hauler and mag loader for the girl friend.

Edited by newshooter

Two things that you can do as a result of your AD:

Make sure EXACTLY where your finger is while moving, reloading and clearing jams and be aware of your muzzle direction at all times. If your muzzle never clears the berm, an AD will not leave the range and cause the hours of worry that you experienced.

Allow this to be a learing experience without fixating on the AD.

One of my service buds, in a unit that has older shooters, got DQ'd for the pistol leaving his hands. If it can happen to him....you know the rest. As stated already we are all human. It's good you are taking it serious. It shows you care about people around you and how your actions affect them. I know its humbling and gives you a sick to your stomach feeling.

Examine your reload to make sure its dialed in, that will help give you some confidence back.

Learn from it and move on.

Good Luck,

TRyan

Hmm. I had an AD/ND on Saturday while practicing with my MP40. Must be the weekend for ADs. Mine hit the target but was a definate AD.

Then there was the IDPA match that I dumped a round into the ground about 2 feet in front of me. Man, that draw was wicked fast. :o I taped and shagged brass for the rest of the match. Gave me some time to think about being in control vs. hauling ass on the ragged edge.

Now we come to the .40 hole in the headboard of my bed. After I put it there with a very stupid ND, I sat around waiting for the cops and contemplating the loss of one or more of my guns.

The point of all this is that these things can happen. We can reduce the possiblity by adhering to and understanding the 4 rules of safe gun handling and by learning lessons from our mistakes.

What you don't need to do is allow a past mistake to affect your future actions. Spend an appropriate amount of time to understand what allowed the incident to happen, create a plan to correct the issue and the put it behind you and drive on.

The past is past and you need to look to the future.

Gringop

ADs happen, but as long as the gun is always in a safe direction they can be mitigated. I see people reload all the time with the muzzle elevated way over the berm. If we really want to be as safe as possible the gun should never be elevated over the birm... ever.

You learned from it to the point you were thinking of golf. Now put those feelings away and make damn sure you do your best to keep it from happening again. Remember, if you never elevate above the birm you will never have to worry about where the round went.

Edited by JThompson

happened to me too last month on our local match ...gun never left the holster and blew the platform off never even had my trigger finger in it.. caught up on the triggerlock and when i pushed down...BANG...switched to a Blade tech after that and had a pretty decent match after :P .....

happened to me too last month on our local match ...gun never left the holster and blew the platform off never even had my trigger finger in it.. caught up on the triggerlock and when i pushed down...BANG...switched to a Blade tech after that and had a pretty decent match after :P .....

What make holster?

I'm happy at this point to say it has never happened to me. (I've been shooting USPSA for about 2 years.) But I can tell you from "another shooters" point of view that it does happen and to some really good shooters. Learn from your mistakes and truck on. I think you are missing one important factor. NO ONE GOT HURT. The rules we live by in this sport overlap. You need to do several things wrong at the same time in order for the incident to be truly dangerous. Put this incident down as a lesson learned and blaze on.

I had a ND last night at an IDPA classifier. There were serveral contributing factors (read excuses). The bottom line was that I was trying to shoot faster than my ability with that gun. It happened during a slide-lock reload and I allowed my trigger finger inside the guard. As I released the slide with my weak side thumb, I pressed the trigger and boom! The gun was pointed downrange, so thankfully there no injuries or property damage. I stopped, turned my head to the RO/SO and said "I'm done, right?" He said yes, unload and show clear, slide forward, hammer down. I appologized, packed my bags and went home to reflect on the incident. I have been shooting actively for about 3 years and competing in IDPA for 1.5 years and USPSA for about a year. The gun in question was a full size steel 1911 with which I had not recently practiced. I'm a high SS in SSP with my Sig and decided that I was going to up my classification in CDP without a whole lot of practice/dry fire/gun handling. Poor decision. My goal for this year is EX in SSP and B in production. Once I achieve those goals, I may go back the 1911 platform and with a lot of practice use it for competition.

• 4 weeks later...

jcmcn, if you wouldn't mind...could you describe exactly what happened?

Was it during a reload or LAMR?

I've had unintentional discharges at matchs before, mine were during courses of fire. When I was still getting used to the trigger on my glock, I would reset the trigger in between shots using the pressure it took for my SIG, and I'd fire the round prematurely before I had the sight picture.