Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotshell Reload Times

PCC-1

What is your best reload time for 4 shotshells. Time starts from the split of your last shot with either a locked back action or in battery action, until the first shot after reload. I have done it in 2.8 seconds but I have not been able to reproduce it consistently. I can consistently get 3.5 seconds but thats about as fast as my fingers will go.

It depends on if my fingers get stuck on the wad guide, or not, on the good old Mec reloader :D

I haven't timed a "4" for a long time, but my bestest ever ever 8 round load was 5.23. that would be a port arms start fire one load and fire one on 10" plates at 12 yards, so I guess the time for 4 would be 2.565 for an average, but there was an extra grab in there for the 8. NOW the average, can do every time, is in the low 6s for 8 and that is fast enough, now I just need to shoot faster cause if you are a .10 behind on each split you are now .8 of a second behind for 8 shots so there went the "fast" reload advantage. KURTM

P.S. I learned that from Raine, TVERHO! :lol:

Apriav, we ARE talking about tactical! and I grab 4 shells at a time out of a Choat speed stripper/ California comp works holder. In playing with my shotgun over the weekend I found 2.12 seconds to be the fastest I could do 4 in. to a non locked back gun 2.77 from locked back empty.....and NOW I KNOW Kelly and Benny are just a smidge faster. :lol:

Mike I AM sure kelly can do it in the alloted and mandatory .1 faster only because you and I "fixed" that fine Benelli he is now weak-hand loading. :D

because you and I "fixed" that fine Benelli he is now weak-hand loading.

Yeah.... remind me once more why we helped him out again ........?? :blink:

He e mailed me tonight with general abuse - this is gonna be a great June !! :D

Alex. talk is real cheap, when you can't be here to back it up :lol: technically wouldn't it take you about 3 days to get 20 rounds into your shotgun from where you are right now :P

be safe and keep an eye out for rear pincer movements...................................Trapr

Trapr,

Lets see, four hours to Frankfurt, nine hours to Chicago, five hours to...about a day and a half plus 2.6 seconds :)

If I could figure out a better way to carry the second drum (and was closer to my shotgun), that would be faster :lol:

Rear pincher movements? I'm not in the Navy! :ph34r:

Alex

Checked my time the other day & to shoot one, reload 4, shoot one went up to about 5 seconds & about 9 seconds for eight. Also split times jumped to .35. Might as well give up on shotgun this year. Just an old has been right now.

hey benny, look at the bright side..............yer not gonna outrun the gun :huh:

its amazing what lack of muscle memory and practice will do. i've got the same problem with pistol and shotgun reloads, due to an elbow injury a few months ago at work. but i'm working on it!!!!!

Trapr

i've got the same problem with shotgun reloads

Bigbrowngamer

'Cowboy Up' mate, stop being full of excuses for the show down in 4 weeks !!

Kelly has already claimed the USA supremecy medal - live the dream amigo ! :lol:

Benny, when that leg gets better you will be back to your old form mate, these things take time. Shame you cant come over, more cider for us I guess ! :D

Being the Gamer, i'm subtly lowering your expectations of me and letting you lower your guard. Kinda like a cobra mesmerizes you with its slowly swaying movement, and then when you least expect it, i'm going for ALL the BLUEBERRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you notice that i didn't list my times for this reload,...........................why would that be???? maybe because someone lifted, stole, borrowed and didn't return my timer, who could that be?.......hmmmmm. can I get an ATTY. help me on this one, maybe one with a new out on her own practice, that knows how the British mind works???? We can litigate while we're over in the UK. :lol:

See you soon, Mikey.

33 days and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw one of the Army Marksmanship Unit guys demonstrating tactical reloads on TV and he said if you can do 1 second per round you're doing good. Now if only I could do 1 second per round. :(

I'm really old fashioned and still load one by one from an elasticated loop belt at waist level. I'm totally convinced that Kurt's method is faster and arguably the fastest of any of the various methods. One day soon I'm going to have to commit to making the change but hate the thought of going backwards for a while and I have quite small hands which makes it tougher for me to grab 4 shells at a time.

I haven't tried the drill posted here but can give some times for some other drills.

Starting with the gun at waist level - Load 6, shoot 6 plates in 6.32 is my best but 7 to 7.5 is fairly standard.

This pans out to load 10, shoot 10 in 10.8 with first shot at 8.3. I'm sure I should be doing this sub 10 seconds but I don't have any other records.

Trouble is for me is I'm not shooting enough now and I'm slowing down but that's life! :(

Edited by Neil Beverley