Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Scope-true 1x

outerlimits

Reticle looks small at 1x dude. Otherwise, it looks like an option.

At $350 though, I'd have to pass for something known.

Rich

at 1x, it's just like a damn dot-which is all i need. will be curious if the BDC is as accuaret as the maker claims. guess i'll find out next month.

Who and when will they be sold. I really like the reticle.

This is the website for the person that designed and will be selling the scope: http://www.grsc.com/

My understanding from the info in the Arfcom thread is that he's going to sell the first 500 for $350 and then the regular price will be something like $450. I think they stated that the first batch will be delivered in June.

I liked the reticle as well and for $350 I thought about giving it a go even though it's brand new.

Did not read all of the posts on ar15.com about this, but this scope has been talked about for several years. Hope it works out, more options are nice.

In looking at the reticle, it appears that the center dot is 1.5 - 2 MOA. My concern is, from looking at the pics only, is that the dot / circle combo ( probably for 200 and 300 yard holdover) underneath the center dot is going to cause confusion. As you mount the scope, your brain is going to get confused as to whether it wants to focus on the center dot or the much more prominent dot / circle below it. The focus point ( in this case, the dot) that is used the most should be the easiest to focus on, having the dot / circle there seems like it will cause some issues. Hopefully, the center dot illuminates ( really brightly) and the dot / circle does not. that would make it easier to focus on.

This would take some getting used to so that it is used properly.

reticle.jpg

Edited by Cactustactical

probably no more than a TA11 BAC. need to remember what targets and distance you are engaging in order to use the BDC properly...actually, thatr's true with all ACOGs, i would think. again, the close, hose down stuff seem to warrant the 1x...after 100 or so, i'm dialing it to magnification depending upon target distance and then figuring out what part of the reticle to use-just like and ACOG. the only "i wonder" on this scope is the BDC accuaracy with the FFP.

Does this mean a new tattoo Butch?

For the close stuff, I switch back and forth between the ACOG (TA-11) and my JPoint. Just depends on the actual targets. The JPoint handles most out to about 75/100 and I don't feel I'm slower at all when a transition between the two is needed (again...shooting mostly Open).

Rich

Thanks for the intro on this website, I'm really busy right now as usual, I'll try to answer a couple questions that have been posted. The scope is 1X, the whole reticle is illuminated not just the horseshoe. On the production model the M4-62 will not be illuminated. The reticle is bright enough to see during the daylight in most situations.

Wow.

If the execution is decent (glass, holds zero, etc.) I think this would be a better scope than the Meopta at half the price.

Does this mean a new tattoo Butch?

For the close stuff, I switch back and forth between the ACOG (TA-11) and my JPoint. Just depends on the actual targets. The JPoint handles most out to about 75/100 and I don't feel I'm slower at all when a transition between the two is needed (again...shooting mostly Open).

Rich

i have a doctor on the side as well, but would prefer to use just 1 scope for everything...

as far as the tatoo goes, BAC reticle is gonna be the only one on me... :P

Keep in mind that it will be a 1st focal plane reticle, so the reticle will appear to 4 times bigger at the highest magnification, idea being it will be an "aiming blob" at 1x for close tagets, even to 100 yards, but open up and be much more defined as the magnification increases. The reticle design is one Ed has been working on for 20 years or more and a lot of thought has gone into it. Not for 3-gun though, his target market is combat shooting. The horseshoe is sized to bracket a typical man torso. From what I have seen, and from range reports, it works well.

Ed is working with a large optics manufacturer in China. Far from the early junk, there is a lot of high end consumer optical glass coming out of China now. Take a look at all the new consumer camera lenses from Nikon. A lot are made there now. If the quality is consistent, this will be a nice scope. We plan to T&E some from the first batch inbound.

This reticle is an interesting evolution of the original CQB reticle on the Valdada 1.1-4 scope that came out going on 4 years ago. Verdugo had a bit of input into the design of that reticle. We were involved in the field testing of the pre production run of scopes that came out.

This reticle ( and the earlier ones) can also be used quite successfully in short to mid range stages in 3 gun matches that use IMGA rules. I have one of the first run scopes still mounted on 1 of our guns and use it in a lot of matches. If you see a target inside the horseshoe, pull the trigger. Damn fast, you might get 2 D zone hits, but with the rules, it works. I was able to make the transition to the center dot instinctively at about 75 yards with no issues because the center of the horseshoe was not "busy". I think that my prior use of the reticle is what is driving my concern about the dot, dot / circle combination. Time will tell.

One other piece of feedback we got numerous times was that the thickness of the horseshoe ( 4 moa) occluded your vision somewhat when transitioning from target to target at mid range distances. A minor point, but we heard it over and over. That was why the thickness of the horseshoe was reduced quite a bit on both the 2nd and 3rd gens of the reticle.

This reticle (CQB) is quite interesting. People seemed to either love it or hate it. People either bought multiple scopes or they could not wait to sell what they had bought. There was no middle ground. I expect this newest evolution to be the same.

The price point is nice, it makes it not such a risk for a person who is not familiar with the cqb reticle concept. Coming from China is not a risk ( as long as you can wrap your mind around buying Chinese) as long as the engineering specs demand a quality product. The chinese will make anything, from junk to stuff that will work under any condition.

Got on the waiting list yesterday.

Ed is a very friendly guy, and definitely had soldiers in mind when developing this. I don’t know, but I think this scope is what killed the Mueller 1x plans.

He mentioned they’d be in country in a few weeks, then they had to put them on a vibration test bed to make sure nothing shook loose!

He also isn’t pleased with the illumination level’s on the prototypes, one reason the doughnut got brighter. It’s supposed to be better on this first production batch, but won’t know until the rubber hits the eyesocket.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm 420 on the list of 500 and they are suppose to be shipping in 2 weeks.

might ship to ed in 2 weeks, but then he's got a tin of testing for all those scopes b4 he releases them to us. hope to have it in time to use it in tulsa. :):)

ed has a special jig to do all the testing, so yea, it's once they get here...

I heard from Ed too that he was going to do tests on this batch before he shipped to make sure they are up to snuff before he starts shipping. I think I was some where in the 320's we he called me to confirm my place in line. Looks like he's going to sell out the first batch no problem; hopefully it works out and the scope is as good as it appears to be.

Little add'l info, Ed posted the FOV on ARFcom.

At 100 yards its:

23'@4x

97'@1x

Edited by j2fast

• 8 months later...

Man I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I talked to the inventor of that scope about two weeks ago. He was very honest and said his manufactor was having a dificult time getting the reticle level in the scope. I to like the scope, and he confirmed it would be a great 3 gun optic, but as of now he was waiting for some new prototypes. He said he has approached many of the larger scope makers and they wanted nothing to do with him. He said all of the ones he had on hand had some problems, and he was trying to get the bugs worked out. Hopefully in the near future that scope will be a reality. Personally I can't wait and am going with a Leupy 1.5x5 with the SPR reticle.