Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lock Reloads

Loves2Shoot

I've recently shot my first IDPA match and realized that the way I grip XD's and Glock the slide doesn't lock open. They are totally functional, but my thumb keeps them from locking back. Is this going to be problem with RO's? I never really thought about it in IPSC because none of the Open or Limited guns lock back and I would rather not have to think about re-doing my grip, but will if I need to to be IDPA complaint.

...if its a fast pace, the RO will likely not notice.
Actually, s/he'd better notice. It's the SO's job to watch the gun. The SO will notice that the slide didn't lock back, and also that when the shooter racked the slide, the shooter didn't eject a round, showing that the shooter didn't do a speedload.

Actually, s/he'd better notice. It's the SO's job to watch the gun. The SO will notice that the slide didn't lock back, and also that when the shooter racked the slide, the shooter didn't eject a round, showing that the shooter didn't do a speedload.

I know how many rounds are in the gun when shooting 10 round mags, that is not a problem, it is just the locking open thing. On the XD the gun tells you there is no rounds with the loaded chamber indicator.

Will any RO's care?

The SO should notice since it's his job to be watching the gun. If the shooter reloads the gun with the slide down I watch to see if he has to rack it to fire. If the shooter racks the slide the SO should watch to see if a round is ejected. If the SO is watching what he should be, he will see that your gun just didn't lock back.

I would do what it takes to get it to lock back when it should, it's going to cost you way too much time racking the slide and counting rounds trying to keep up with where your at and risking the SO not paying attention and giving you a procedural for a speed load.

I got interupted typing the same remark as you were posting. Too may SO's watch the targets and the hits rather than the gun, sometimes your position will allow you to see both but the gun comes first.

As an SO, I watch the gun. If someone's slide doen't lock back and they do a reload, then fire a shot without rechambering a round by pulling the slide back, a procedural is then issued. As we get a lot of people from other shooting sports who have ground down their slide stops so as not to function in the way they had been designed, we see this quite frequently.

As an SO, I watch the gun. If someone's slide doen't lock back and they do a reload, then fire a shot without rechambering a round by pulling the slide back, a procedural is then issued. As we get a lot of people from other shooting sports who have ground down their slide stops so as not to function in the way they had been designed, we see this quite frequently.

If you reload and rack the slide (with an empty chamber) there is no issues then? That is what I think you are saying.

This has everything to do with how I hold the gun, and not modifications done to them. They still function as designed.

I'm not concerned about the time involved, just that I do something to get me that nasty 20 sec subjective penalty.

If you reload and rack the slide (with an empty chamber) there is no issues then? That is what I think you are saying.
That's correct. We're just trying to keep people from dropping the mag (without retaining it) and reloading with a round in the chamber. As long as there's a round in the chamber, you have to hang onto the mag, even if the mag's empty.

You are good to go with the rules.

If it were me, I'd say something to the SO ... "My gun usually doesn't lock back, so I'll be doing my empty gun reloads on a closed slide and racking it" so that there is less chance of a "subjective penalty".

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed in the Matt Burkett IDPA video that his gun slide doesn't stay open on the last round. During the classifier chapter where a mandatory slide lock reload is specified, he had to rack the slide back to load the chamber.

You are good to go with the rules.

If it were me, I'd say something to the SO ... "My gun usually doesn't lock back, so I'll be doing my empty gun reloads on a closed slide and racking it" so that there is less chance of a "subjective penalty".

i just SO'd a BIG match this weekend on 2 days and saw this alot...almost all the S_I guys guns were set up to do this .....thats ok...everyone of them racked the slide also..they know.... :o

I think the answer is to practice your JJ Racaza Reload - slide lock, drop mag, reload, catch the empty before it hits the ground, hit the slide release with your strong hand thumb, stow the empty, and continue.

great advice so far let me add that the other problem will be your round count, i know you stated you are aware of this but believe me it will catch up to you when it is most important, you will fire on an empty chamber sooner or later, i would get it fixed asap, in it's current config you would be better served if possible to rwr, remember some matches are won and lost by 1/100 second

great advice so far let me add that the other problem will be your round count, i know you stated you are aware of this but believe me it will catch up to you when it is most important, you will fire on an empty chamber sooner or later, i would get it fixed asap, in it's current config you would be better served if possible to rwr, remember some matches are won and lost by 1/100 second

There is nothing to fix. I simply thumb the catch with my grip, and I shoot too many styles of guns to worry about it if I won't get dinged.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• 4 weeks later...
That's correct. We're just trying to keep people from dropping the mag (without retaining it) and reloading with a round in the chamber. As long as there's a round in the chamber, you have to hang onto the mag, even if the mag's empty.

As a relatively new IDPA shooter. (doing it 1 year so far just expert rating) I think this is stupid rule. It teaches people to hang onto empty magazines. As a police officer that could induce some very bad muscle memory. I know this is a game but it would be nice if the rules did not force you to do bad things like putting empty mags in your pockets when you should be worrying about shooting.

Pat

Administrator note:

The original question has been asked and answered (contact me to open the thread if any more vital info becomes available).

We don't need to re-hash the way IDPA does their reloads.