Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oakley shooting glasses

gunner40sw

Mo Zee,

The www. link on my posting will take you to my website, where you will find other Rudy Project links as well as information on what I consider the better styles for shooting glasses.  To make sure shooters get what they need and are actually looking for and avoid a bunch of returns, I discontinued my online purchasing, but an email or phone call is all it takes to get the glasses on the way to you.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though alphabetically in the USA I come up first in a nationwide search of the RP website, I appreciate the steer to local retailers over firearms industry retailers.  

my web address is:

http://www.aps.3av.com

Chris,

I really like the new Freeon frames, especially for 3 gunners they are just awesome, one piece lens, skeleton bridge and very light weight.  They fit the bill great.

The Kerosene frame is the most popular all around frame and lends itself to shooting sports very well.  Beaucoup lens color choices make it possible to fit any light condition and any range backdrop condition.  

The new Rydon is a very nice frame, Matt Burketts choice, also lightweight, and huge field of view.

If you like the full frame style like the newer oakley's, we have the graal and graal foyl, both good frames with good fields of view, several colors and lens colors are also available.

My all around favorite for all but RX needs is the Freeon, hands down.  In the "Golf" package they come with 2 lenses, Racing Red and Smoked black for only $160.00 plus shipping.

dvc40jim,

I managed to come right with a few stockists in South Africa, thanx for the help.

This leads to my next question. I have read your last post regarding the frame and different types of lenses however I really like the Ekynox. What do you think about them in comparison to the Rydon. What is the difference in weight and field of view.  Also does it offer interchangeable lenses?

Thanx

Mo,

My personal choice between the Rydon and the Ekynox, would be the Rydon.  However the Ekynox is also a phenominal pair of glasses.  They have a more substantial frame especially in the nosepiece area, and that in and of itself might cause some troubles 3 gunning, but just pistol you will be fine.  You still have all of the lens color choices to select from so that there is no lighting condition that you can't adapt to.

New this year for the Ekynox is the SGV conversion kit, allowing you to quickly change from standard sunglasses to a goggle suitable for skiing or any other activity favoring goggles over glasses.

• 1 month later...

I have found that Oakleys with Iridium coatings scratch very easily.

Conversely, Oakleys with gray or clear lenses are quite scratch resistant.  

I've been wearing M-frames for 10 years, and they are excellent for activities like running, because the M-frame has good purchase with most people's heads, so they remain firmly planted.  Oakley lenses are excellent for not having distortion, in my estimation.  

That said, M-frames can be delicate, I've broken many frames, and Oakley will offer a warranty for the frame for one year if my recollection is correct.  They do not warrant scratched lenses.

I tried a pair of Wiley X sunglasses and they were very bad.  The nosepiece closed my nostrils and they were quite annoying, like a cheap pair of safety goggles.  

I'm also an avid fisherman, and I had a pair of Oakley polarized XX (twenties), but like the proverbial liar's fish, they were the ones that got away.  I haven't seen them in a few months, and they cost an outrageous $160.  I'm still hoping I stumble across them somewhere in the house.

I haven't seen the Rudy glasses, and I'm not a competition shooter, but I'm always game to try new things.  I'll have to check them out.

Mark  

FWIW...I bought a set of Rudy Kerosene Golf glasses with Rx insert from Jim late last year.  

In my various trips to the range since I got these glasses set up with the Rx I have really grown to love them.  I have tried on Oakleys, Gargoyles, and so on and so forth and nothing is as comfortable as the Rudy's.  I am REALLY tough on glasses (I wear titanium alloy frames for day-to-day use because I destroy most other frames quickly) and nothing I have done yet has phased the Rudy's in the least.  

Jim was great to deal with and he got my order out really fast.

My optometrist was impressed enough by the Rudy's that he is considering carrying them in his office.

No affiliation with APS or Rudy Project or anything...just a very satisfied customer.

Cheers!

Kevin

I'm not familier with the V50 test.  ANSI 86.1 they pass, they exceed the standard written for ANSI 87.1, the European as well as the Australian equivilant.  The only test they fall short of is the certification as welding goggles according to the owner of Rudy Project USA.

I excited that you like them, they will without a doubt give you an edge.  Now if we could just get the rest of the world to believe instead of being hooked on inferior products!!!  The world would be a much better place, and I would make a little money to boot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife got some Freeon frames with the Laser Blue glasses in them and I think they are the best glasses for shooting. The are the only one that don't hit the gun when shooting the rifle. Now How the h**l do you keep them from foging up every time it gets cold. I will say that all my other shooting glasses (Revo, cheep stuff, and others) foged up worse than the RP's. At our 3-gun this week when ever you have to sprint from one place to the next carring the gun and trying to shoot they keep fogging up.

Does anyone have any ideas on products that work for keep the glasses from fogging? Living here in snow country whenever we ski or snowmobile we use vented gogles but you can stop and clear the glasses, It is harder when your shooting, with the timer running and try to make the hits to stop and clear your glasses.

Scott Peterson