Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10rd mag help

Run n Gun

I have a problem that I hope some of you more experienced 1911 shooters can help me with.  After a 20 year hiatus from shooting handguns I bought a Kimber Gold Match (.45), joined a local club and took up Action Shooting.

The consensus at our club is THE mag to have is anything made by Chip McCormick.  Several of the guys have bought Mitchell Arms 10rd that are identical in everyway to McCormick except the name.  Mine came in the mail Friday night and I loaded each of them with the same 7-8rds, cycled them through the gun… worked perfectly.  The next morning, at the match, I loaded them to capacity and went to the first stage.  At LAMR when I dropped the slide… jam, second and third mags, same thing.  They where kind enough to let me re-shoot with my 8 rounders… McCormicks too.  

After the match I looked at both the 10s and 8s to see what the difference was.  I noticed on the 10s that the feed lips (the straight part, down by where the rim rides) were slightly rough.  A few light quick file strokes and they would feed the first (and second) rounds without the nose-diving AS MUCH as before and hitting the frame below the ramp.  Seating my 200 gr SMC out to 1.255 OAL helps also but I’m still having the occasional problem. HELP is there anything I can do?  I’m the only one at our club that has had any problems with this mag.  I’m sure it’s not the gun because it’ll load empty cases just fine.

Sorry for the long post, but this is driving me CRAZY.                

Sometimes new long mags need to be left loaded for a while to allow springs to " settle in " ( a week or 2 ). If they feed properly when loaded with 7-8 rounds, but not when loaded to 10, then that could be the problem. Wilson mags are excellent and worth the price.                 Travis F.

DT will be along shortly and suggest that you worship at the alter of Wilson.  :)

But, you want to make the mage you have work, right?

As suggested, do the swap thing with some of your buddy's guns, mags and ammo.

Most likely though, the new springs are too tight.  Load them up to capacity a nd leave them set for a few days.  Or, download them to 8 for the matches for a while.

Good luck.  Let us know how it turns out.  

Thanks Flexmoney!

I just got back from a bowling pin shoot (used my 8 rounders) and the consensus among those shooters, and the advice they offered was the same… we’ll see.  I’ve got them loaded up to capacity and it’s two weeks until my next shoot...  

Quote: from Flexmoney on 3:19 pm on Feb. 16, 2003

DT will be along shortly and suggest that you worship at the alter of Wilson.  

It's been long enough.  I've tried others and they've failed.  I've yet to have a Wilson mag fail!  Of course it's kind of hard for mags to fail, when they get used a few times a year ----- but back when I shot my single-stacks more, Wilson mags never failed.  

Wilson mags work great, if they don't they will make them right. I bought some used on the internet and they were an old design and dind always work wth 10 rounds. I told them this and after I sent in my old mags they sent me back 4 NEW 10 round mags. I like companies like this.

I also have a Kimber Gold Match, and I initially had problems with the 8 round "Shooting Star" magazine that came with it.  

I bought some Wilson 10 round and 8 round mags, and have had no problems whatever, except with some funny plated bullet handloads some guy gave me.  Those had a couple failures to feed all the way.  

My handloads (coincidentally, 200gr LSWC at about 1.255") feed just fine from Wilson mags, as do factory 230 gr FMJ and LRN, handloaded 230 gr LRN at 1.270, 200 gr LSWC at 1.260, and 180 gr. LSWC at 1.250.  

Wilson mags WORK.  Chip McCormick's are less expensive, and claimed to be just as good, but I've never had any need to try them after using Wilson's :)

DD

I have about nine Wilson mags and 6 McCormick mags, one King mag.

The Wilson's required I load them up and store them for a while before they were perfect, same with the McCormick mags.  Now they run like a champ.  

The McCormick are a tad bit easier to clean between stages when they get to full of sand.

I actually purchased two Kings but took one back because it would  not fit in the gun.  The King is a real pain because it was not meant to be disassembled so I rarely use it.

Wilson's are definitely worth the money and their service is outstanding.  I called about a mag a purchased at a gun show, it turns out not to be the one I wanted.  Wilson exchanged it free of charge!!!  

"The McCormick are a tad bit easier to clean between stages when they get to full of sand."

Just out of curiousity, how could that be? Last time I looked at the CMC mags - and I could stand to be corrected on this - I remember them as having the standard welded baseplate. The Wilson's OTOH feature a removable baseplate and are designed to be easily disassembled for cleaning.

Wilson mags are great , I have several mostly 8 rders. However, as it seems the lone dissenter, I have  8 ten round McCormick mags (some are Mitchell) that work flawlessly. I've used them in 5 different .45s, 2 Kimbers and custom Clark model, as well as an old Mitchell. Never a problem that was mag related in any of them. Except an old Briley built Colt.... 10 rders of ANY make wouldn't work in that gun until I put in the special JP Ent mag release that raises the mag slightly, then once again, that gun worked 100% with the 10 rders.

So I'd try tuning any that don't function 100% before throwing em in the trash. And maybe trying that JP Ent mag catch if its chronic, they work.

i've tried the chip's, wilson's, and ed brown's and none of them gave me any problems.  at the range however guys would tell stories of the wilson's metal strip breaking.  i witnessed the ed brown  one break on another shooter.  but they all have good warrantees.

Thank you Flexmoney.  On your advice I loaded the new mags up and left them that way for two weeks.  I used them at the match today and the only problem I had was shooting a hostage... twice.

The mag catch at jprifles.com looks promising, at the first sign of trouble I'm ordering one!