Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yet another race holster question

Andy

I have read almost every post I can find on the topic of the best race holsters and I still have a few questions:

Are the Ghost and Limcat basically the same when it comes to retention in unlock mode?  (does the pistol just balance within the holster with very little stopping it from doing a swan dive into the DQ pool)

Why does the 012 need a strap to retain the gun between stages?  Does it not "lock" the gun well like a Ghost?

It the Limcat at a real disadvantage on stages with movement prior to the draw?  How easy is it unlock the limcat from a hands up start?

Any info on the 012 and or the limcat would be much appreciated.  THX

On the Ghost (with the pin installed), it's not just 'balanced' in there-- you do need to lift it up off the pin before it'll come out forwards, though a strong bump might remove it.  The Limcat has a slightly different retention method, but it also requires a ~1/8" lift before the gun will just fall forwards.

I used the Hogue(man do they SUCK A&&), 011, and now the Limcat. The 011 has the same retention device as the 012. It is a couple pieces of plastic that just "clip" around the trigger guard. Never had it fall out but just didn't feel comfortable bending over for brass and taping targets without a strap. I ordered the Limcat after talking to Dave Olhasso at a match. It came in on a Wed. I got it after a 3-11 shift. It took about 25 minutes of getting everything adjusted and positioned right. I shot the MASC on that Sat. with it. It retains the gun without any fear of dumping it on the ground. It is easy to unlock. If you don't lock it in it is still retained as well as the 011/012. I don't lock it for the stand and shoot speed shots. The lever can be locked and set 90 degrees from your leg so that you flip it off during the natural draw stroke. It is still locked just easier to unlock that way. I've been using it for a year and a half now and haven't seen anything that is as good. It is small enough that it doesn't get in your way when sitting or moving.

I have used the 011, Limcat, and Ghost.  I like the 011, but like others have said, it doesn't have a positive lock.  I do use a strap when not shooting.  When I start a stage where I have to run before drawing, I run with a hand on the gun.

The Ghost and Limcat both offer great retention.  When locked, something would have to break before the gun fell out.  The lock lever on each is easy to reach and natural to disengage during the draw. (unless there was some required movement, I would start a stage with the gun unlocked.)

The problem I've found with both the Ghost and Limcat is that they bind up and don't release a steel framed gun if not drawn just right.  I had a couple of hang-ups at Nats last year because of this.  

This problem does not seem to exist on guns with a plastic trigger guard (STI/SV, Glock, etc).  I could not duplicate this hang-up with an STI in a Ghost, no matter how hard I tried.  Unfortunately, I have 3 Paras and no STI/SV guns.  

I'm thinking of thinning up the trigger guard on one of my Glocks to fit the 1911 pattern Ghost.  Anyone ever tried this before?

I'm still looking for something that has a positive locking device, but that will let go of the gun when I want it to.  I'm thinking about maybe the CR holster.

Just wanted to make sure you have read all of these.

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...42&topic=14

I started with the SL 010 then the Ghost and finally the Limcat.  Out of thoose 3 I like the LC hands down.   I have had both the Ghost and Limcat bind on me. But the LC was an easy fix. I just had to turn the gun to the right just a little during the draw.  It even cut a little time off my draw. The Ghost will dig in to your leg when squating and bending over.  The Limcat is pricey but I would say it's at the top of the pack.  One more thing lock it when doing any movement.  My new blaster popped out when bending over one time.

Thank you for this great info.  Does 012 not a lock function like the ghost or limcat?

Johnny Lim is building my limited gun (a wildcat) I may as well be a walking billboard for Limcat.  I will have his guns, his holsters and his mag holders.  Maybe he'll come up with some custom made cleats as well.

Thanks again you guys!!!!

Most of the Safariland holsters that I have seen use the same locking mechanism.  I find some lock tighter than others.  I have seen some people's holsters that hold the gun in a death-grip when the screw is tightened down.  My holster screw is tightened down all the way.  I can still draw just fine from it.  The gun will stay in place if I jump, but if I had to do a forward roll (remember holster retention tests?) it will fall right out.

Maybe I should send it to Safariland and have them check it out.  That would be much cheaper than buying a new holster.  But then, my wife is shooting now.  The Ghost won't let go for her.  She uses the 011 (hates the bright red) and I use a kydex Glock holster.

Garret,

What holster position do you use? I used the LC with APars until this year and never had it bind. I wear my holster back on my hip. I have seen guys that wear their holster farther forward having problems but mine comes straight out.

I've tried about every holster position I can.  Front, back, tipped in, out, sideways.  

Nothing that I can't still get a hang-up from.  I've tried wiping the inside of the holster down with a silicone rag, which seems to help.  Still not 100%.  

I have the 012 and use it with a limited SV.  My holster is as solid as a rock.  Zero play.  I have never felt worried that it would fall out.   I don't have a strap and don't feel slightly compelled to use one.

However, we are all talking of race holsters that hold our blasters of choice by the most minimal of means.  I strap is not a bad idea.  All it takes is one dropped gun to get you DQ'd and sent on your way.  If I was going to a Major, I would consider it only because it would be an extra piece of mind.  One less thing to worry about.

I've used the Hogue and CR speed.  I agree the Hogue is not for steel or heavy guns.  Not enough retention unless fully locked.  The CR speed seems to work well for me.  It holds nicely and has a very easy to engage (and check if it is engaged ) lock.  I've found through dry fire practice I can check the lock with my index finger very quickly with out looking.  I RO alot at the local matches, which means I walk ALOT more than most do during a stage.  I also try and keep up with the shooter on field courses so I run alot on those.  I've never worried about the gun falling.  If I did I wouldn't be RO'ing correctly ;).  

I have dropped the gun with this holster but it was because I didn't have the lock on.  

The holster will bind too.  I wear it in front and slightly canted backwards from the muzzle being parallel with my leg.  Not much just a little.  This puts the wieght more towards the front of the holster which tests the retention even more.  I started that after experimenting and watching the Burkett DVD's.  It seems to match the cant of my palm on the up swing.  I'm not that fast but it feels pretty natural.  Most times if I bind it's because I hadn't been dry firing lately and my movement is erratic.  

The one down side of this holster is I was wanting to try checkering the bottom of my trigger guard as shown in the DVD's.  I think the checkering would sand down the retention notch and cause it to fail.  

My .02

Garrett, can you lower the holster position any?  You've still got to make sure the heel of the gun is above your belt but if you have the holster set too high it could be causing you to draw a little more sideways than straight up and down causing the hang-ups you're talking about.  I used to use a Limcat with my Para so I'm familiar with this problem.

I also had problems getting the Limcat to hold my Para securely due to the thin rounded trigger guard.  Even when locked in there was still a lot of rock and wobble so I wound up going to a CR Speed.  It's not as elegant as the Limcat but it's rock solid and seems fairly fast.

BigDave, unless you're thinking of a different kind of strap than the ones I'm used to, you don't use it during the COF.  The only straps I've seen have been for use when walking around, picking up brass, etc.  They are purely for extra retention to assure that someone's shiny new gun doesn't wind up in the dirt.  If your gun does fall out in a situation like that, you shouldn't be DQ'd for it so long as you let an RO supervice retrieving it and make sure it wasn't loaded when it fell.  (10.3.16)

John

I've tried about every holster position I can.  Front, back, tipped in, out, sideways.  

Are you using the newest version of the Limcat?  If so, you can adjust the tension of the "holder thingie".  (Okay - I'm not technical, but I'm sure you get my meaning!)  There's a spring in there that my be deformed.

Also, the newest version has all sorts of cool adjustments - finally got mine last weekend and it rocks for us "hippie chicks".

Ghost Holster is about to offer the NEW "Ultimate" Ghost Holster.

This will be a new "pinless" version, the material will go back to the otiginal delrin, so no possible problems with binding. (Which BTW can be caused by differneces in the sizes of the trigger guards.)

It will be offered as an upgrade at less cost. If in doubt ask Matt Burkett, he has been road testing my sample and I can get it back!!!!

• 2 months later...

I was addreesing the problem of Ghost Holster Bind with a local shooter her in Arizona, what we actually found was that the belt system he was using was "pulling up" during the draw, we changed his belt to the new "rigid" CR Speed Belt and everthing is now Ok.

Now I know that buying a new belt to suit a holster when you have a perfectly good belt may seem an odd way around the problem, but go look at the CR Belt system, I have changed to it and love it.

Angus

We are now shipping the Ultimate Ghosts. Check my store. We shipped a bunch today so reviews should be up soon. (hint, hint) :)

We have just a few RT hand, SVI/STI in stock. Down to three or four. If you want one, better order it now.

BTW here is a direct link:

Burkett's Store

The picture is not accurate as the new ones have a carbon fiber skin. Will try to post a picture tomorrow.

Good luck!

My origional holster was a Hogue, then I got a 011, a CR Speed and a Lim Cat. Tried them all and keep coming back to the Hogue Power Speed. I only draw from the intermediate locked position, its fast and the gun will never fall out.

Releasing the lock with the thumb is a natural movement on the draw.

NEVER depend on the magnets alone to hold the gun. A friend did bumped his gun and gave it a sand bath.

In the fully locked position the gun WILL NOT fall out and after thousands of draws the gun has never stuck in the holster on a draw.

I have one Hogue that adjusted to fit both SVI and Para.