Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It can't be too serious unless Dana White has gone insane. Ortiz would mangle him in short order. Look at what he did to Shamrock, and I'm thinking Shamrock could easily turn White inside out.

I've got to wonder about Ortiz. First he fights an old guy twice in a row, then basically an unproven newbie (Griffin couldn't even knock out Bonner), gets thumped twice by Chuck (although the last fight was a good one), and now (I guess it was actually a couple of years ago) he fights a guy who couldn't possibly have a chance.

I think it's shameful that he got to fight Chuck and his only qualifying fights were jokes for someone at his level.

I can't recall anyone else who has had so many lame fights. However I don't know how much say the fighters have about their fights (I'm thinking they do as their told). Lame fights may just be Dana getting back at Tito for pissing him off a few years ago.

I'm hoping fights like this upcoming Ortiz/White fight aren't a sign of the future. I'd hate to see UFC start to resemble WWE.

It's a standup boxing/sparring match. It's not UFC/MMA format. I'll watch it to see how things pan out. I believe the profits from the White/Ortiz fight are going to charities, it's of course a publicity thing but I wouldn't (yet) say it's akin to the steroid induced play acting that is "Professional" wrestling.

UFC 70 in Manchester, England is going to broadcast free on Spike, btw...

I would LOVE to see this fight. Wouldnt you love a chance to kick the ass of some guy at work? Even if you probably wouldnt win? Just a chance to get one good shot in.

Make no mistake, White is not a pansy. He started as a boxer and owned and operated boxing gyms for years. Then he was Tito's first manager. He has continued to train boxing and jui jitsu for years with some of the best in the game. He might not have a chance against a champ like Tito, but I bet he comes out aggressive and I also bet that Tito takes him too lightly.

I wonder who White has been primarily training with to prepare for this fight.

Charity Publicity, bordering on WWF.

I am a new fan of MMA, and themore I watch the more the UFC seems like really well promoted, poorly managed show, that wants to promote to the WWF tatooed and pierced crowd.

no real rankings, the music, the BS at the weight ins, the edited pre-fight interviews to over hype things.

that being said.... I still watch. :unsure:

I feel like the broadcasting arrangement messes too much with the integrity of the story. Since the ringside commentary is 100% in the pocket of UFC management, they don't talk about the things that are happening that make the sport look bad...

Such as positive steroid tests, Stephan Bonner and Tim Silvia come to mind. You wouldn't know about this without the forums.

There are no rankings in any of the MMA organizations. There are #1 contenders, but even that is a relative position. Heck, boxing ranking are even more relative.

The UFC does lack from production experience. Their PPVs are full of filler. Some of the other organizations for a better show, but they are all pretty same same.

They stopped the fighters from thanking sponsors cause some of them got long winded and were sponsored by companies other than than the UFCs sponsor. Same stuff happens in other sports (NASCAR with the Nextell/AT&T fight).

The nice things is that in the last year you have a competitive marketplace with PrideFC, UFC, EliteXC, IFL and others.

Well, after browsing the fight forums, I found out a bit better what happened. I wish I'd just browsed those forums ahead of time, but I didn't want to come across a spoiler accidentally.

It was known since around March 29th that there would be no fight. Tito backed out. He backed out because there wasn't going to a PPV box office to get a taste of the earnings. So, essentially he said I'm not risking myself for no payday. I was wrong about there being any charity proceeds, I don't remember why I thought that was the plan but it clearly wasn't. Feel free to check Tito's webpage for his press release which spells out his reasons in more verbose fashion.

Anyone following the MMA forums would've known last night's broadcast wasn't going to air a fight (since the fight didn't happen). Since that's not really my thing (MMA forums) I wasn't aware of this, silly me for thinking that since Spike and UFC were heavily promoting this thing that there was an actual fight to watch.

I've always known Tito is a tool, now I'm 100% certain Dana is too. Apparently guys that work for a living and buy PPV fights aren't in the core demographic and they feel like jerking my chain is OK. If they'd told the viewers in the first 5 minutes of the show "there was no fight, but here's what happened" I wouldn't be pissed and I would've watched the 1.5 hour show anyway, but as it stands their slick used car lot tactics have jaded me. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.