Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

Shot a fun match yesterday at MRPC! Originally I was going to load up the big stick and shoot Open, but was talked into going back to Production...and I'm glad I did. My shooting felt okay during the match...one trigger freeze but other than that I flowed better than at A5 (although there were obviously fewer opportunities to sotm). On the stage where I could actually sotm I found myself already at my final position before my last reload, which indicated one of two things:

1) I walked too fast

C) I shot too slow

I believe the c's have it.

Good squad....I am always glad to see the Kentucky gents make the shlep over to Ohio :) Corey, they told me about your "itis"...I hope it doesn't flair up next month ;)

Here's the video from the match:

th_06-28-09MRPC.jpg

Please feel free to post thoughts/opinions/comments! As clearly indicated from the Area 5 results there is a mountain of improvement to be made, and I always appreciate a fresh set of eyes to evaluate each match.

Yeah, I give props to the guys that went up there after shooting sat. I went and watch Transformers late sat night and didn't back from the "after show" until around 3am and left my phone on vibrate anyway. Looking at the stages though, I've already shot that match :roflol:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a great Independence Weekend! Cville on Saturday, and Oxford on Sunday.

Shooting Prod on Sat, I felt that I had a steady match...with the exception of having a little trouble with the star. The last time that I shot that classifier was at Area 5 3 years ago...my first major match. Back then, I think I took 6-7 shots at the 3 huge poppers at the end. This time around, it was a piece of cake. Skipping the reload I only had one charlie.

Oxford on Sunday was shot in Limited (minor, of course!) I had issues with the headcam and only captured a few stages. The last stage on the video was my reshoot...the first time I ran it was 2 seconds faster, and I didn't have any issues with trigger freeze. Pushing it on the second time around resulted in the frozen trigger syndrome.

th_07-04-09CvilleOx.jpg

Next Sunday is the IPSC classifier match at MRPC...one of the stages has a weak hand table draw...perhaps I should be practicing that instead of posting ;)

^ No-shoots. It was a 30rd Virginia count stage, and you could only shoot 6 rds per "hoop". The MD from Oxford always has something a little crazy for us to traverse :)

I *think* I have my G17 in shape for the IPSC classifier match this weekend. A trip to the range with Chris confirmed what I feared...my sights are in disharmony. In trying to keep the sights of my G17 in parity with my G34, I installed a Heinie rear with a Dawson front. Unfortunately the front sight is a bit taller than the Heinie notch, and the end result is that my hits impact quite low. Interestingly enough when I "ignored" the sights at the range, my poa was impacting perfectly. This could be compared to knowing that you must make a left at the light, but someone keeps shouting RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT!!!!!

I will attempt to modify the front sight to spec length.

The job hunt continues (unfortunately) and I am now dipping into my money stashed away for components for daily things. Once panned by myself, I am starting to believe in the validity of adding airsoft to my dojo training. In my minds eye, I see a superb (and economical) training routine based on the pillars of dryfire, airsoft, and club matches. Pure economics being the only barrier, I am a mere phone call away from schlepping out of the proverbial hot seat and back on the train to moneyville.

Well, I grinded down the too high front sight to meet the spec of the fs on my G34 and it looks great! I've pondered what it's like shooting without a fiber optic...now I have choice in the matter. I read it today in the IPSC rules and Chris confirmed it, that a tungsten guiderod is a no-no in Production, so it's out. The other night my trigger setup was between 4.7-5.8 pounds. I do not care for dangerous variances, so I swapped out the trigger springs adding an additional 4 ounces to the pull.

My once pristine dryfire dojo had gathered the clutter that typical garages does...so today I GUTTED it and cleaned from head to toe. Adding additional arrays of partials, the dojo is now a 360 degree arena. I've been moving away from par times as each drill is on a different array each time, and I allow my sight and flow to be the indicators of correctness.

I had a good conversation the other day with Flex about some of the video that I've been posting, and we discussed the areas that need polish. My main focus for the rest of the year is to not plant my feet at all costs and keep the momentum of my shooting constantly moving to the finish line of each stage.

Well, the IPSC classifier match was this past Sunday, and I have got to give big thanks to Paul Hernandez for orchestrating the event, as well as Mark A and pas44 and the rest of the dedicated ro staff. Excellent work...I know it could not have been easy.

I noted several things at the match:

Even though the G17 lower is identical to my G34 lower, I found my reloads to be cumbersome and difficult. I even kept my reload-to mags limited ti 10 rounds to keep the weight equal...but there was still a difference.

The gun felt like I was hitting a barricade every time it cycled. I talked to Bill about it, and he explained that I was experiencing the difference in slide cycle strength and time. It was interesting to say the least, and I am going to take the 17 back out to the range to see what else there is to learn.

My modified (grinded down) front sight worked out great...but I found myself a little vexed when looking at it in anticipation of seeing the fiber optic.

My loads chrono 4pf lower out of the shorter barrel.

I need to add more weight to the trigger. Chris tested it before the match and it pulled at 5.6lbs. At the match, with the same pull gauge, it was right at (and under) the 5lbs requirement. There is too much variability in the testing of trigger pulls to trust the process at a major match...so a 6lbs trigger is the only safe way to run it.

I've got some video hiding somewhere...I need to get it edited and posted.

I just noticed that I am #12 on the top 20 Production GM list :roflol: . Quite an arbitrary lottery imho.

I've been dryfiring using my "paper in the breech" trick and a modified NY#1 spring for the past week, and like it. The spring gives me an excellent reset that is closer to my original trigger pull than the 1.5# trigger pull that is provided with the breech trick but sans the NY spring.

Congrats on the top 20 list!!! :cheers: I hope to be there, at the top of the list ...someday.... <_<

On the NY trigger spring, does it help make the trigger pull feel heavier, as well as help with the felt reset when doing the paper trick? If so, that might be something that I will be looking into to help make dryfire feel more like the real thing.

On the NY trigger spring, does it help make the trigger pull feel heavier, as well as help with the felt reset when doing the paper trick? If so, that might be something that I will be looking into to help make dryfire feel more like the real thing.

Yes. The caveat of the paper trick is that it makes the trigger unrealistically light...but allows you to practice slapping the trigger and avoiding getting caught on the trigger safety. With a modified NY#1 spring, it makes the trigger a smooth 5-6lbs, has a "break" feel to it, and maintains the same aggressive reset that I prefer in my competition trigger...three things that are lacking with the paper trick.

With the NY#1 I feel that the training of pulling the trigger without disturbing the sights is better experienced...this is exceptionally noticeable when working sho/who/sotm.

The overall trigger pull weight of a Glock can be significantly reduced by using various reduced power striker springs...unfortunately (imho) one sacrifices reliability via light strikes and that groovy reset click that I have come to know and love.

Yes. The caveat of the paper trick is that it makes the trigger unrealistically light...but allows you to practice slapping the trigger and avoiding getting caught on the trigger safety. With a modified NY#1 spring, it makes the trigger a smooth 5-6lbs, has a "break" feel to it, and maintains the same aggressive reset that I prefer in my competition trigger...three things that are lacking with the paper trick.

With the NY#1 I feel that the training of pulling the trigger without disturbing the sights is better experienced...this is exceptionally noticeable when working sho/who/sotm.

The overall trigger pull weight of a Glock can be significantly reduced by using various reduced power striker springs...unfortunately (imho) one sacrifices reliability via light strikes and that groovy reset click that I have come to know and love.

Hey that is good to kno9w to improve dryfire practice. I agree that the paper in the breech has a very light trigger with no "break"

thanks for the tip bender!!

Way to go on top 20 in production!

• 2 weeks later...

Fun match today at MRPC...though I am paying the price now for pushing it too hard with the arm.

Everything was rather smooth...the only main ding-dong was missing the first popper in the right port of the last stage...though the silver lining was that I was able to quickly identify the problem and skip the dp altogether.

Whoops...I went to grab more ice for the bow and forgot to post the video:

th_07-26-2009MRPC.jpg

I also got gooched by the right swinger on the 4th stage...after watching the video, there was no reason for me to not have made both shots.

After mulling it over, I decided that my G34 needed a change. Not that I had any issues with how it looked before, but I was ready for something new. So I went over to Chris' house and after spending a few hours beside the polish wheel, the gun that I will be buried with got a face lift! (Thanks again Chris)

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Dryfire with my right arm is slowly coming back bit by bit. I love the NY#1 trick so much I ordered a few more springs so that I can film a little demo on how to skeletonize it and drop it in for dryfire. Henceforth, this method is trademarked as the Barcelo Dryfire Trigger Maneuver ;)

Two matches this weekend, and I couldn't be happier...well, if I could find a job I suppose that would make things better...but I am still hopeful.

Even with a dremel I was unable to get all the blue out of the serrations without using toolheads that remove material from the slide...a big no-no in Production so I let it slide. I actually like seeing the little remnants of the former blue blaster. PM about the other question sent.

After mulling it over, I decided that my G34 needed a change. Not that I had any issues with how it looked before, but I was ready for something new. So I went over to Chris' house and after spending a few hours beside the polish wheel, the gun that I will be buried with got a face lift! (Thanks again Chris)

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Dryfire with my right arm is slowly coming back bit by bit. I love the NY#1 trick so much I ordered a few more springs so that I can film a little demo on how to skeletonize it and drop it in for dryfire. Henceforth, this method is trademarked as the Barcelo Dryfire Trigger Maneuver ;)

Two matches this weekend, and I couldn't be happier...well, if I could find a job I suppose that would make things better...but I am still hopeful.

You two Master Gunsmiths ever think about asking someone how to remove duracoat? Well I have done it and I can tell you how to go remove it right. Too late now but you can still get the blue out of the serrations and logo.