Micah's Range Diary

Micah

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David, Jane, and the rest of the Indiana staff did an AMAZING job this past weekend with the IN Sectionals! It was hot as hell, stormed, and the match still ran smooth as silk. Hats off to them, as well to the division winners: John, Matt, and

Caspian_45, as well as Keen going 2 for 2 in the 1st Place A Open arena! It was great seeing all of the Enos posse at the match, as well as making some new friends.

Here are a few vids from the event:

th_CrossCountry.jpg

th_HoosierHystaria.jpg

Today I curled up with a good book and reflected on the match. Tomorrow I'll be back into the swing of exercise and dryfire.

6/21/07

-one hour of cardio

-full dryfire session

-500rds livefire

I love it how the sun is shining at 5:55am, and doesn't go down until 9:30pm. I guess that I feel more productive.

Today's dryfire was a complete focus on pulling the trigger straight back to the rear of the gun. I know that is sounds fundamental, but I wanted to experience every trigger pull with as much focus as possible.

I had the opportunity to go to the range tonight and put 500 rounds throught my "new" blue gun. It ate all 500 rounds without a problem, so now the next test will be to take it to the Milford match this Sunday.

It's been a wild 4 days since the IN match. My beautiful wife obtained a full time teaching job in the town of Wilmington, Ohio, and I could not be happier! And for those of you that have checked the IN scores, please check again.

6/25/07

-one hour of cardio

-full dryfire session

Today is my wife's birthday, so after surprising her with my famous breakfast-in-bed, I bought myself enough time to get my drills and workout in ;)

Dryfire today was excellent. During yesterday's match I was having some trigger issues, namely the reset. A new spring and a little oil later, my trigger is healed. Reloads were nice and smooth, and my transitions were sharp and precise.

Here are 3 vids from the match. I had to convert two into WMV files for editing, which apparently changes the quality to "Snuff Film Mode"

th_6-24-071.jpg

th_6-24-073.jpg

th_6-24-074.jpg

6/29/07

For the first time in a long time, I didn't put on my gear and practice today. My wife had the day off, so we spent the day cleaning and reading. I went back through my range diary here, as well as the paper diary that I have been keeping on and off for the past several years.

The largest pitfall that I had early on was being complacent in the "small pond". I was doing well within a small circle of sheltered shooters (if you are reading this, you are not who I am referring to), and not really practicing. It wasn't until I started going to outdoor USPSA club matches that I realized that I had just begun learning about shooting.

Another pitfall was farting around with different equipment without consulting a trusted shooter first. I bought some of the STUPIDEST crap! It's the Indian man, not the freakin' arrows.

After reading it all, there really are three things that I can contribute to how I shoot today. The first is having two great shooting friends that have taken me under their wing. Without their guidance early on, as well as this afternoon, I would not be where I am today. Through them, I have been able to meet so many more great shooters and build friendships and networks. The second key is (surprise) DRYFIRE! I never made a ton of money at the jail when I had a job, and now that I am still looking for employment, I never would have had the means to go to the range every day. Thanks to Steve Anderson's pioneering books, I have had the opportunity to better my skills on a daily basis without spending bundles of money on ammo and gas.

The third, and most important, is the support of my wife. She though I was "retarded" at first for spending an hour every day dryfiring, but over time has come to respect and love the sport that I hold so near and dear to my heart. She wishes me the best of luck when I leave for the weekend, and cheers me up when I come home defeated (or celebrates me when I return victorious). This Sunday will be our one year anniversary :cheers: (And she's going with me to a match!!)

Enough reflection! The routine resumes tomorrow ;)

Hey PB just wanted to say thanks for posting all the vids. I'm a middle C class shooter with a G34 and watching them inspires me. Your doing some good shooting.

That means alot kamann. I appreciate the support, and am honored that others are learning from my voyage :)

Who you calling sheltered ??? :huh:;):)

Don't worry .......... your wife's not the only one who thinks you're "retarded". :P

Get back to it, PB!

Ladies and gentleman, Chris Keen! One of my two great friends and mentors in this wonderful sport :cheers:

6/30/07

-one hour of cardio

-full dryfire session

-400 rounds livefire

An excellent day both in mindset and productivity. I am now following up the daily workouts with a proper diet (again). Dryfire was smooth and accurate. I had the good fortune of going to the range today and verifying my dryfire practice. My transitions and splits at 30 feet are amazing! (in practice). I will learn to trust my abilities more in a match and allow myself to shoot at that pace. The hits in practice are the proof.

Tomorrow I shoot at Oxford, and my lovely wife will be filming it all. After that , we are off to spend the rest of the day doing crap that other couples do on their first anniversary ;).

Side note: I am getting bad (again) about talking crap to myself while practicing. This type of self-talk translates directly with match shooting...I will make it a point to always remain positive about my shooting in practice.

Side note: I am getting bad (again) about talking crap to myself while practicing. This type of self-talk translates directly with match shooting...I will make it a point to always remain positive about my shooting in practice.

I'm glad you are self-aware of it ...... because I noticed it today too. And if I heard it .... I know your inner self heard it.

Don't talk while shooting ... just shoot. Good or bad. Just keep shooting.

Plays into what Bill says "Never give up, never surrender, never quit" Just keep shooting. Finish what you set out to do, and that is shoot the stage.

7/1/07

-Oxford match!

I could not have asked for better weather for today's match. My first stage of the day was the classifier Big Barricade. I like the way I'm shooting classifiers now...calm, confident, and for match points (as opposed to trying for 100%)

th_7-1-07BigBarricade.jpg

The second stage was a three string, six second timed fire deal. Since stacking shots was allowed, here is what I came up with:

th_Oxford7-1-071.jpg

Stage three gave an option of engaging targets in several different positions.

th_7-1-072.jpg

This final stage is the one that I really wanted to do over. The 6 target array hiding behind the far barrels proved to be a challenge. My make-up shot was to correct a round that I called going through a barrel...and the other pregnant pause came from me overrunning my second shot on the second-to-last target:

th_7-1-073.jpg

All in all, I feel "just okay" about my preformance today. My hits were excellent, and I ran the match penalty/delta free, but I felt clumsy and discombobulated at times. I will work this out before Summer Blast.

Keep up the good work Blue Man Group.

You know I followed Bill's advice and took the wife to Newport to celebrate our anniversary. We had a blast...and I cursed myself for not having my camera on me: There was a street performer covered in blue metallic paint, so he looked like a statue. I would have made that my new avatar.

Kinda like the French robot in Eurotrip, but not really.

CN-51-31A_350x435.jpg

Remember ...when practicing, you are by design taking concsious control of the shooting...some things will improve, some will suffer as you shift your focus around.

Eliminate the self-abuse by finding something to celebrate after each run.

Always leave on a high note...I don't care if you missed all six plates at the 10 yd line, I bet your draw was smokin'.

And at the match...just shoot the damn targets.

SA