Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For A Review On This Barrel:

ExtremeShot

I'd appreciate any reviews for this barrel. I'm trying to build a rifle similar to the one shown below and I'm thinking this barrel from Brownells looks like it will do the job. If anyone has any bad news about this barrel, please let me know!

Thanks,

Darren

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...ail.aspx?p=5563

BROWNELLS®/DPMS AR-15 BARREL

Match Quality, Drop-In, Ready-To-Shoot

BL-11P AR-15 Barrel

Button rifled with versatile 6 groove, 1-9" twist to stabilize a wide range of bullet weights. All, except BL-11-M4, are heavy barrel contour, turned to .960" diameter under the handguards, with bayonet lug and threaded muzzle.

- Crowned muzzle and no bayonet lug

- 16” (40cm) long

SPECS: 4140 chrome moly steel. Matte dark gray manganese phosphate Parkerized finish.

231000021.jpg

I'm trying to build a rifle similar to this one:

fc25l4901itsel-1.jpg

Edited by ExtremeShot

No experience.

Wanted to chime in to see if you'd thought about talking to a custom bbl maker. I don't think you are that far off thier pricing, and you could name your exact specifics (chamber, profile, gas system, etc. Plus, you could ask for advice from a proffesional.

I'm thinking of someone like Randall at ar15barrels.

When I shot out the COLT barrel on my 16" HBAR I used that exact barrel to replace it.

I had to thread it 1/2 x 28 to get a brake on it but it has been flawless for over 3,000 rounds so far. The COLT barrel was allot more money and didn't shoot that much better.

I may buy a stainless JP 1/8 next time but for now the DPMS barrels are A OK!

You won't be able to keep the front sight on that 16" barrel if you want to use the full length free float tube.

Get a barrel with threaded muzzle if you want the comp.

You can cut down the existing front sight when you install the free float tube. Add a clamp-on front sight. Still need threaded muzzle for the comp.

Edited by wide45

So what you are telling me is that the barrel in the picture is probably a 20" or 24"? ...I didn't plan on using the front sight that comes with the barrel.

You won't be able to keep the front sight on that 16" barrel if you want to use the full length free float tube.

Get a barrel with threaded muzzle if you want the comp.

You can cut down the existing front sight when you install the free float tube. Add a clamp-on front sight. Still need threaded muzzle for the comp.

Edited by ExtremeShot

I believe if you order right from DPMS, they can thread it for you and put a low profile gas block on it as well.

DPMS barrels seem to shoot just fine......have used a few of them in my time.

I have had excelent results from the DPMS barrels I have used. All of them have been 1 MOA or better. I wouldn't hesitate to use one! KURTM

Well, if it matters to you, DPMS is a major sponsor of our sport - and I think that counts for quite a bit. No reason not to use a DPMS - from all the positive reports here.

Cool. Thanks. Can you tell me where you got your handguard? It looks like the DPMS one Brownells sells?

That's the same barrel I used for this build.

20" cut down to 16" with a Cooley comp.

mvc002f2cl.th.jpg

Groups pretty well with a Holosight at a hundred yards too.

argroup8jq.th.jpg

You can't go wrong with it.

Gary

This is the barrel you are looking at;

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=373&cat=1654

This is close to the one in the picture of the complete rifle you want to copy;

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=364&cat=1654

As you will replace the barrel nut, and front sight assembly, you might want to look for a stripped barrel to start with.

Edited by wide45

Cool. Thanks. Can you tell me where you got your handguard? It looks like the DPMS one Brownells sells?

Gary

Yep, I believe that'd be the one because I got them both from Brownells too.

Gary

Should I be concerned that they are .223 and not 5.56?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, from my understanding you can shoot 223 in a 5.56 chamber, but you can't shoot 5.56 in a 223 chamber. My DPMS heavy 16" barrel full rifle sight/ gas is a 5.56.

If this is true, it doesn't make sense. Why would you do this? Having the 5.56 barrel is much more attractive to a shooter since it can shoot both calibers, but saying that a barrel stamped .223 is really a 5.56 does nothing but bring up questions and add to the confusion.

Most DPMS barrels are marked .223, but are actually 5.56 chambered.

Chamber info