Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hats & Barrels...going prone

Yes, something must be done.  I was a victim of this in Ohio on stage 8.  I went prone and with the gun where I wanted it on the ground, I couldn't get lined up with the sights because of the brim of the hat.  Tipped up, turned around backwards, or thrown off would have been better.  I learned a valuable lesson.  Practice wearing EXACTLY what I will wear on match day.  I haven't practiced prone very much, but the last time I did I was NOT wearing my hat.  Lesson learned, the hard way...

I went prone during the walk through, but not with my gun out.  (Would have been DQ'd if I would have done that).   I could have done it on LAMR, but didn't (I've never seen anyone do that actually).  The problem was this:  When the gun was on the ground where I wanted it for best stability, and tilted up to aim at the target, the brim of the hat got in the way and obscured the front sight/top of target.   My choices at that point were either pick the gun up off the ground to shoot(not as stable or fast and wasted time finding that out), remove hat (takes time), guess how high to hold the front sight above the rear sight when high enough to see both sides under brim (not very precise), or living with the tunnel vision caused by the hat brim.  It was a stupid mistake.   I've learned from it.  Just want to help others out if possible.  

(Edited by DBChaffin at 8:43 am on Oct. 2, 2002)

DB, sorry you learned the hard way but thanks for relaying it to the rest of us.  I rarely wear a hat, except when it is raining, and I remove it when I shoot just because it is something "different" for me to have to account for.

I think you bring up a great point regarding what you plan to wear during practice versus what you wear in a match.  Even the subtle change from shorts to long pants can make a difference.  It would have been a different type of prone at Ohio if the box was not there to limit your legs.

But all in all a good stage to learn things on...

On that, I just turned my hat backwards before the LAMR command.

I agree that changing clothes and other variables can definetely throw off your chi. At every match I wear the same pair of khakis, boots, white t-shirt, and hat. It just feels more natural that way.

Yep, this is one of those little things that can slip thru the cracks.  Bryant helped me out by telling me about it before I shot (thanks!).  I had thought about it before, but would have completely forgotten it on match day (I didn't go prone on the walk-thru or the LAMR).

• 2 weeks later...

Not only the hat brim, but i have also had problems with my shooting glasses getting in my wayy if they aren't high enough on my face.

I also tend to wear similar clothes to matches, kind of like a uniform, simply because different jeans have belt loops in different places. i wear almost the exact same hat a lot of the time too... don't know why on that one, but i do.

i also feel a Hat is a big deal... it can keep brass from hitting your fore head and rolling behind your glasses... not often you need it, but not often do you thank god for saftey glasses either.

Anderson said it, that was like a pig farm, some NASTY mud, ohio has wierd mud too. in WV our mud is... well less muddy, more soopier, this stuff stuck to your shoes and was overall horrid.

Not to bitch too much, but the freaking shooting box is supposed to be like no more than a couple centimeters of the ground that 2x2 hurt like a bitch. i slid back some. (maybe taller, or just didn't dive through the barrrel as far) but it busted my ribs up pretty good.

this was one of those "tactical stages" where you knew you were going to do it, but only a fool got into position, once down in that mud was bad enough :-)

Yeah, I remember futiley attempting to dig the 5 inches of mud that was caked on my boots out while I was still like the 5th shooter down on the long range ports stage only to get up to paste and have to do it all over again. Next time I shoot in Ohio, I'm bringing a change of shoes to walk from stage to stage in.

(Edited by TheItlianStalion at 8:03 pm on Oct. 11, 2002)

I didn't go prone

I did mess the stage up but 2 NS were on right side. Shot both right beside each other, then 2 makeups while cussing . What a day, not sure what I was thinking. It sure wasn't aim.

(Edited by BSeevers at 7:24 am on Oct. 13, 2002)

Alright Flex, you got us there. That was a good one.

Ernest would be ahsamed of us.

aside from the mud, I felt good about that stage, but barely nicked a no shoot on the left and still got the hit.

Flex, was it you that didn't like to shoot on the elbows? I would have thought that trying to get the gun on the ground would be worse.

I swear I'm trying to think up a good comeback for that Langdon dig...

SA

I think the Burner has a prone segment on his tapes.  Jarrett says about the same thing...and, I think BE has said pretty much the same too.

The idea is to get as much on the ground as possible.  If you can get the gun on the ground, then do so.  And, press everything into the ground so that the recoil is easier to manage.

If the past, i was never able to get my gun grounded and still be pointed at the target.  So, instead of trying to carry my iso stance to the ground, I went with more of a strong side grounded position.  It worked out way better than I expected.  The entire length of my right arm was grounded, as was the gun.  I was able to push my arm and the gun into the ground...very stable.  I could have likley picked up the speed while prone.  I was back on target way sooner than I had expected.

Worth experimenting with.

Flex, Atleast we are still shooting Real guns.

Ernest isn't like those Glock people, us beretta shooters aren't cult like, and just because we buy one gun doesn't mean we sell everything and buy 12 of the similar model :)

also your position is called "roll over Prone" just watched "shooter ready" with rob letham... thats how he does it too... enough evidence for me.

Plus, I am pretty freaky about the Berettas, and I just traded two guns for another Elite 2. That makes:

2 E2s in 9

1 E2 in 40

1 E1 in 9

1 Inox 92 w/ night sights (bedside piece)

2 model 87 Ts

1 Billennium

1 very smelly Beretta hat.

Best comeback so far: You call THAT a trigger?

Weak, still working.

SA