Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corporate Liars

BrianH

1:00pm EST I read on The Hills website that they are only recalling 6 types of wet cat food, and NO OTHER Science Diet products are affected, including their M/D line (which you get a perscription to feed to your sick or ailing animal). By 10pm EST they are now reacalling their feline M/D line! What's it going to be tomorrow? How long has it been since the public was told by these fvkers in $5000 suits that "if it's not on the list then it's not affected"? And who's going to be the poor little middle-management putz that gets scapegoated and fired so the suits can say " it was HIS fault and everything is okay now cuz we fired him".

It suck all around. I would recommend you guys look at Natural Balance brand. They claim to use all human grade, US made, blah blah, ingredients. Actually my wife works a lot with animals and pays close attention to what is in pet foods, and thats what our animals are on. They are not cheap, but our pets love it and they do very well on it, healthy coats, and all that.

The choices get even smaller when you have a dog w/ allergies who can't eat much in the way of chicken, beef, etc.... :(

Luckily, we're OK in this regard, it appears...

Been checking out organics, after this debacle, and I'm not finding much based on something other than chicken or beef.... :(

Been checking out organics, after this debacle, and I'm not finding much based on something other than chicken or beef.... :(

Dry or canned? Natural Balance has dry in Venison and brown rice, Duck and potato, sweet potato and fish, and even some vegeterian ones. For canned they have the same plus Liver and Lamb, besides the standby's of chicken and beef.

And then they have really fancy stuff like "Chinese Food", "Irish stew", "Hobo Chilli", and some form of dumplings, but be ready to pay $3 per can.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/dry.html

The choices get even smaller when you have a dog w/ allergies who can't eat much in the way of chicken, beef, etc.... :(

Luckily, we're OK in this regard, it appears...

I fed my dogs Canidae, and my cats get their feline version, Felidae:

http://www.canidae.com/

They have lamb & rice formula.

Dry or canned? Natural Balance has dry in Venison and brown rice

He's on a venison based food, now... I found a place here in Round Rock that I can get Natural Balance... I'll look into that with him...

and even some vegeterian ones.

There's just something really wrong about feeding a carnivore (well, really, an omnivore, at least in my dogs' cases...) a vegetarian diet... :D

They have lamb & rice formula.

Unfortunately, he can't eat sheep, either... ;) Poor guy ends up with a reaction similar to gastritis in the worst way, plus he starts losing the hair on his head... Its really pretty pathetic... :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions... now back to the hate!!! :D

The other two can eat just about anything...

Oregon has been vocal in nationally reporting how many illnesses or deaths of pets have occurred here... compared to the figures presented by The Company! We've had over 65 outbreaks of illness and about a dozen or so deaths (my figures may've changed by now) here in Oregon. If I were a pet owner right about now, I'd be preparing my pet's victuals from scratch on my own stove. :ph34r::ph34r:

My dog already gets mostly home made food due to some geriatric doggie problems combined with food allergies.

Mostly worried about the cats. Took us awhile to find a food they could all eat without their various allergies kicking in. We are feeding Nutro dry food and watching everyone like hawks.

What worries me is that the corporate scum are trying to shovel out their tainted stock as fast as they can hoping there aren't too manymore issues. Right now you can find Science Diet dry foods around here for about 40% off and it is just sitting there.

Here is the most current list of items I have found:

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

As I still understand, only the canned wet crap that they call fillets, morsels, savory cuts etc... are tainted and the premium dry foods are still OK.

Hopefully the top premium dry food will stay un-polluted, my cat loves Science Diet dry food ;-/

That list only includes the Menu manufactured products.

Purina (Alpo) has also recalled their gravy style foods....

"On March 30, 2007, Nestlé Purina PetCare Company announced it is voluntarily recalling all sizes and varieties of its ALPO Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes. The Company is taking this voluntary action after learning today that wheat gluten containing melamine, a substance not approved for use in food, was provided to Purina by the same company that also supplied Menu Foods. The contamination occurred in a limited production quantity at only one of Purina's 17 pet food manufacturing facilities.

In addition, Purina's 5.3-ounce Mighty Dog pouch products, manufactured by Menu Foods, were previously withdrawn from the market as a precaution on March 16 as part of the Menu Foods recall. ONLY Mighty Dog pouch products and specific date codes of ALPO Prime Cuts canned dog food are being recalled.

Consumers should immediately stop feeding their dogs ALPO Prime Cuts products with date codes listed below and consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their pet.

The recalled 13.2-ounce and 22-ounce ALPO Prime Cuts cans and 6-, 8-, 12- and 24-can ALPO Prime Cuts Variety Packs have four-digit code dates of 7037 through 7053, followed by the plant code 1159. Those codes follow a "Best Before Feb. 2009" date. This information should be checked on the bottom of the can or the top or side of the multi-pack cartons."

http://www.alpo.com/home.aspx :ph34r:

I will be sticking with Science Diet dry food and premium canned Albacore for my cat at this point ;-/

I agree with George on this one.

I have only fed my pets Science Diet food and nothing else.

We were in PetsMart last weekend buying food for our new adopted mommy and kitten and they had a notice up at that time saying they did not sell any products listed in the recall.

I still have a fair amount left in my large bag for my big cat (12-13lb male) but I will still buy the same replacement when it is empty.

I got one older male cat that the Science Diet Adult (not indoor, not hairball control) is the only thing he can keep down/make it to the box. If that went I guess it's to Costco for a case of tuna.

Three of my cats were all raised on Science Diet then in 2002 they decided to change protien sources (at least that was what they told us). All developed horrible skin issues. Hair falling out, scabs, etc. Vet was mystified so started digging. Found out Science had changed formulations a bit. We switched to Nutro and the skin problems were gone within a couple days.

Hills totally refused to even talk to me about the issue. My vet got just a little further as she was also a Hills dealer and they at least agreed to look at pictures and various samples.

At that point I walked away from Hills. They might as well not exist as far as I am concerned.

Milkbones are *un*affected by the recall: http://www.milkbone.com/

Del Monte dog treats contaminated: http://www.delmonte.com/petfoodrecall.html

Following is a COMPLETE and UPDATED list of Del Monte Pet Products and Best Buy Dates that have been voluntarily recalled in the United States.

BRANDED Production Code/Best By Date

Jerky Treats Beef Flavor Dog Snacks Code:

Best By: TP7B06

Aug 06 08 TP7B07

Aug 07 08 TP7B08

Aug 08 08 TP7B09

Aug 09 08 TP7B10

Aug 10 08

Code:

Best By: TP7B15

Aug 15 08 TP7B16

Aug 16 08 TP7CO5

Sep 02 08 TP7C06

Sep 03 08

Gravy Train Beef Sticks Dog Snacks Code:

Best By: TP7B19

Aug 19 08 TP7B20

Aug 20 08

Pounce Meaty Morsels Moist Chicken Flavor Cat Treats Code:

Best By: TP7C12

Sep 09 08

PRIVATE LABEL Production Code/Best By Date

Ol' Roy Beef Flavor Jerky Strips Dog Treats Code:

Best By: TP7B06

Aug 06 08 TP7B07

Aug 07 08 TP7B08

Aug 08 08 TP7C05

Sep 02 08 TP7C06

Sep 03 08

Code:

Best By: TP7C07

Sep 04 08 TP7C08

Sep 05 08

Ol' Roy Beef Flavor Snack Sticks Dog Treats Code:

Best By: TP7B19

Aug 19 08 TP7B20

Aug 20 08 TP7B21

Aug 21 08 TP7C08

Sep 05 08 TP7C09

Sep 06 08

Code:

Best By: TP7C10

Sep 07 08

Ol' Roy with Beef Hearty Cuts in Gravy Dog Food Code:

Best By: BC6M21

Dec 21 09

Ol' Roy with Beef Hearty Strips in Gravy Dog Food Code:

Best By: BC7A19

Jan 19 10

Ol' Roy Country Stew Hearty Cuts in Gravy Dog Food Code:

Best By: BC6M15

Dec 15 09

Dollar General Beef Flavored Jerky Strips Dog Treats Code:

Best By: TP7CO5

Sep 02 08 TP7C06

Sep 03 08 TP7C07

Sep 04 08 TP7C08

Sep 05 08

Dollar General Beef Flavored Beef Sticks Dog Treats Code:

Best By: TP7B20

Aug 20 08 TP7B21

Aug 21 08 TP7C08

Sep 05 08 TP7C09

Sep 06 08 TP7C10

Sep 07 08

Happy Tails Beef Flavor Jerky Strips Code:

Best By: TP7B08

Aug 08 08 TP7B09

Aug 09 08

Happy Tails Meaty Cuts with Beef in Gravy Dog Food Code:

Best By: BC7A29

Jan 29 10

Happy Tails Beef Flavor Beef Sticks Code:

Best By: TP7C08

Sep 05 08 TP7C09

Sep 06 08

Am I the only one who wants a complete list of ALL Chinese foodstuffs that are being injected into the American food supply, pet, livestock, or otherwise? <_<

Edited by EricW

List of products NOT affected by the recall: http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/, updated frequently.

I'm 'mom' to 10 K9's, all rescues, most now age 8+. The premium chow bill is enormous, but worth it in terms of their well-being, longevity, absence of allergies & GI intolerance, etc.

My heart goes out to all who have lost furry loved ones - or spent a fortune frantically scrambling to save the sick ones - during this debacle.

Eric,

I'd like to have that info too , I really doubt there is much difference between grades of wheat gluten from china . Same goes for the other stuff from a few other countries .

Pretty sure they would sell whatever they have, for as much as they can get away with.

No thanks ... I'm trying to get old .

Travis F.

Here is all that matters to me at least.

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.'s Pet Food Information Update: Comment on Industry News

Topeka, KS (April 5, 2007) --- There were media reports today of an expanded wheat gluten ingredient recall by a supplier with further recalls by Menu Foods. Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc. wants to assure you that this announcement has no impact on Hill’s products.

As stated in earlier communications, Hill’s previously voluntarily recalled or withdrew all products in the United States and Canada that contained the ingredient wheat gluten. As a result of these precautionary measures, all the products that Hill’s continues to sell do not contain wheat gluten ingredients from any supplier.

Further information about Hill’s previous voluntary and precautionary recall of Hill’s Prescription Diet ™ m/d™ Feline Dry food and Hill’s Science Diet® Feline Savory Cuts® canned food is included on our web site. If you have additional questions, please call our Consumer Affairs department at 1-800-445-5777.

• 2 weeks later...