Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grams Spring Follower Kits

sv45

They're designed to fit magazines that are in specs. Many STI mags are not in spec, whether it be the tube dimensions, feed lips, or the base. SV mags are better but not always perfect either, if you can find them.

Don't modify the Grams parts if they're not working, fix the magazine. I know the next question is probably "what's the right spec?" and I don't know that off the top of my head. I might have time to find my notes later tonight to help answer that.

I knew someone would post the specs on here!

There is also a great article on Brazos that talks about the problem you might have even if your tubes are in spec.

The magazine setup that I prefer uses a Grams follower. This follower (as are most other aftermarket followers) is designed to sit up as high in the magazine as possible in order to maximize magazine capacity. Increased capacity is good, but a side effect is that a high-positioned follower may cause the slide to lock back prematurely with one round left in the magazine.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Home.htm Is the link, on the left is the link to "Magazine Articles" and you are looking for the article titled, "Slide Lock Back or Not?"

I have four mags, two tuned by Brazos, and two "tuned" by me, all four have gramms pads, springs and followers, and all four had the problem of lock back with one round left, and I fixed all four as described in the Brazos article. I discussed it on here, but cant find the thread with the search engine...but I am over 40 so get a comfuser failure by! :D

Edited by CDRODA396

Yes just like it states on the package....stop being so cynical put them in and go shoot!
I am not being cynical at all. I was hoping this was true because my mag tubes are due in Friday via UPS. I am shooting my first IPSC match Sunday since 1995. I am not concerned about results but did not want to have alot of gun issues.

I put mine in almost two years ago and started shooting. About the only thing I did was to take some material off the little shelf so the slide would lock back when empty and not with one round still in the mag. I like my limited guns to lock back when empty, my preference.

Neal in AZ

Surprizingly allot of mags come out of spec. If your mags are in or near specs the Grams follower should push right up to the top. The still work if they don't go all the way up. Every STI .40 mag I have was out of specs. I have 20 .40 mags and SV has a go-no-go tool for their mags so my SVs are all good. I now have all the STIs in spec too. Once you get them close they're good until you beat them up or ?

At the DTR championship I paid attention to shooter's equipment as allot of OPEN guns malfunctioned on my stage (1). I saw mags with Gram's, Dawson, and SV followers work great except when their owners didn't take care of them or left them out of specs...

Some mags go too high and hit the bottom of the slide but nose dives were a problem.

... every time you need a new spring you need a new follower to?

The "new design" allows you to replace the springs without the follower. Below is the link to the replacement spring packs at Shooters, they've had'em in stock every time I've needed them and usually ships the same day you order.

Since you have to "massage" the follower to prevent slide lock back with one round left in the mag, if I had to replace the follower every time, I'd look elsewhere as well.

http://shootersconnection.com/store/produc...;products_id=86

I just replaced the springs on some of my mags. The top of the spring goes into a hole in the the side of the follower. Pry the end of the spring out with a small screwdriver and replace.

Neal in AZ

I actually had to grind off part of the follower to avoid having the slide lock back at any time. This is the only thing I have had to do to the kits once the come in. Unlike some of the guys wrote above, I have had no problems with delivery with the kits.

The kits have always worked 100% in my STI, SV and SPS magazine bodies.

I have found for me it is easier to set up two slide stops for my guns, one that locks back, and the other is ground down so there is no tab to engage the follower. After I did that I havent had to mess with the mag followers at all. FWIW

DougC

I just bought 3 of the newer spring kits for 3 new tuned mag bodys.I had to alter the followers on all 3 to lock the slide back without leaving 1 round left in the mag cause thats how i like it.I also have 3 other tuned mag bodys with 3 of the older spring kits and 1 worked without fiddling around.If you dont want slide lock then you will be in the pink.