Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magpul Ctr Stock

Chris Conley

Thinking about getting a Magpul CTR stock for my AR. Has anyone used one of these? I would like it if it is light weight and that you can lock down the butt stock adjustment.

Thanks,

Chris C.

I've played with one and liked it. It's lightweight and feels solid when locked.

I've got a couple of them and like them alot. They are lightweight and strong and have no rattle or movement when locked down. They also make one that will fit a commercial tube instead of having to change your tube to one with mil-spec dimensions. Brownells also now carries them.

Cool I think I'll order one this weekend. Not bad for about $95.00. Quick question. I have a DPMS lower so I will have to order a commerical one? Also is the recoil pad worth it? My AR has a JP gas block and a comp and recoil is not an issue. Want to know if the rubber snags on you shirt bringing the gun up?

Thanks for all the info,

Chris C.

If anyone is considering using an Ace Stock or something similiar, give a look to these Magpul's before you buy. They are well built and worth the money. The recol pad is standard on the non mil spec version, but not included on the mil spec. ( I have no idea why).

As mentioned earlier, make sure that you get the correct version, mil spec vs commercial.

General guidelines:

Mil spec - Colt, CMT, LMT, Vltor, Stag and others assembled using parts from these manufacturers.

Commercial - Bushmaster, DPMS and Rock River Arms and others.

Not sure where the JP fall into the list. Need to call and find out.

If you are converting an A1 or A2 stock, the kits do not include the buffer tube, buffer and spring.

Cool I think I'll order one this weekend. Not bad for about $95.00. Quick question. I have a DPMS lower so I will have to order a commerical one? Also is the recoil pad worth it? My AR has a JP gas block and a comp and recoil is not an issue. Want to know if the rubber snags on you shirt bringing the gun up?

Thanks for all the info,

Chris C.

Chris,

I don't know about the rubber pad, but I have the same concerns as you. I am ordering

the entire kit though. The rubber pad will come off with two screws if it gets in the way.

T

• 2 weeks later...

+1! It's one of the best stocks out there. I have 3 now. A good combo is the Ace extra strong buffer tube with the commercial CTR. My only negative comment is that the CTR tends to grab whiskers - ouch! A little work putting a bit of a bevel on the inside front edge of the stock makes things better, though.

I have a LMT lower with a JP low mass buffer and carrier with a A2 stock. Will this stock fit??? I presume I need the new buffer tube but can I still use my JP spring and buffer???

Edited by tnek

I have a LMT lower with a JP low mass buffer and carrier with a A2 stock. Will this stock fit??? I presume I need the new buffer tube but can I still use my JP spring and buffer???

No it will not. You must have a carbine buffer tube and use a carbine buffer/spring. The JP buffer and spring will be to long for a carbine buffer tube and will not work.

Edited by stingerjg

No it will not. You must have a carbine buffer tube and use a carbine buffer/spring. The JP buffer and spring will be to long for a carbine buffer tube and will not work.

SJ's right, but because a carbine buffer (shorter) weighs the same as a JP Low Mass rifle buffer, you shouldn't see any difference in performance.

Ed