Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Magpul Ar Mags

PaulW

My problem is that under tension the top round nosedives ever so slightly and non-pointed bullets get caught on the front of the mag body. This is not a problem for ball or the v-maxes that I normally compete with, but it does stop a mag loaded with smk's or my favorite hornady 75 MHPs. Nevertheless, I would feel the need to shoot the heck out of one to trust it for anything other than range work. Given the experience of everyone I have read however, I think it would work just fine. Perhaps with time the spring would relax a bit and the tension problem would sort itself out.

How old are your mags? They had a problem with early versions, which was fixed in mags dated 04/07 or later. Or so I'm told. The date is in a tiny dial just below the mag catch.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem is that under tension the top round nosedives ever so slightly and non-pointed bullets get caught on the front of the mag body. This is not a problem for ball or the v-maxes that I normally compete with, but it does stop a mag loaded with smk's or my favorite hornady 75 MHPs. Nevertheless, I would feel the need to shoot the heck out of one to trust it for anything other than range work. Given the experience of everyone I have read however, I think it would work just fine. Perhaps with time the spring would relax a bit and the tension problem would sort itself out.

How old are your mags? They had a problem with early versions, which was fixed in mags dated 04/07 or later. Or so I'm told. The date is in a tiny dial just below the mag catch.

Just checked... 5/07. I'm thinking I could take a dremel to it and fix this without hurting anything, but it seems like they would take care of this little issue themselves.

Anyone else monopod off the PMAG?

I have two of the PMAGs and I monopoded off of both of them at the PA Rifle Match at Topton this past weekend w/o any problems. Was using 55gr FMJ Ultramax remanuactured.

I've monopodded maybe another 100 to 150 rounds off my "defective" (by datecode) P-Mags after my last post. Nary a hiccup. I'm almost reluctant to take Magpul up on the tube exchange.

It would appear that there have been other problems with these mags. I don't know if this is the cause of your feeding problem or not, but it looks like Magpul is having a recall. They are a stand up company that supports their products and their customers.

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?ma...products_id=271

I haven't had any problems w/ any of mine as of yet. They all covered under this recall. I wasnt going to perticipate in the recall but how can i loose. I can referb my one month old PMAGs and get new bodies for them. When the replacements arrive ill post any differences if i can find any.

I have several of these mags which I'm going to use for the first time tomorrow or next day. I've done the test by loading them with 20+ rounds and pushing down. They pop back up, so all should be well. If there are no problems I doubt that I'll participate in the exchange. Although getting some new mag bodies for $5/each sounds interesting!

I just had an LEO AR class thrash a bunch of the PMags. If you have old date-code PMags, send them in. I had no problems with those mags in my Colt, CMT/Stag or LMT rifles. But using them in my parts guns, they were pickier. The same with the officers in the class. Colt rifles, and mil-spec clones, no problem. Parts guns, or other brand,s some problems with some mags.

So, 50+ PMags go back. Except the "01/07" mag. That stays here.

Allright Eric! Them's fightn' words!

Ha!

Speaking of packing tupperware, your TruGrip is holding up pretty well. At least, it's pretty good for something that comes from a dog lovin', scattergunin', bird killin' Spokandandy!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I just received a handfull of the new mag bodies from the exchange program. I swapped out the guts in them and took a couple to the range today. I did notice that I was able to load the last 4 or 5 rounds much easier with the new mags.

I monopodded off the two mags I brought with without any problems at all for about 225 rounds, including one mag of Wolf. The gun was a standard DPMS 16" carbine. I'm happy. :cheers:

I used my old date (bad) mags at the NW Multi-Gun last weekend. They worked 100%. No issues at all. I even "monopodded" on a couple of stages with no problem. I am participating in the exchange, though. When my new bodies get here I'll send these back, even though I've had no problem with them. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed 5 of the new bodies. The "bad" bodies were dated 05/07. The replacement bodies are *definitely* an improvement. I had zero malfs with the "bad" mags, but the 07/07 mag bodies appear to be the bombproof solution. There's enough difference that I'm actually going to return the mag bodies and buy more mags, rather than keep them as spares as I originally planned.

The change was in how the plastic fills the mold. The pre-0707 mags had only one point where the plastic entered, at the seam at the upper 1/3 of the mag body. The new mags have two gating points, top and bottom. The result is a mag body that is more dimensionally correct. I think they underestimated the pressure drop across the mag.

Interestingly enough, there are no cavity marks on the mags, which makes me wonder if MagPul only has a single, one cavity tool for all the production. That would explain the long delay in getting mags.

Edited by EricW

I just installed 5 of the new bodies. The "bad" bodies were dated 05/07. The replacement bodies are *definitely* an improvement. I had zero malfs with the "bad" mags, but the 07/07 mag bodies appear to be the bombproof solution. There's enough difference that I'm actually going to return the mag bodies and buy more mags, rather than keep them as spares as I originally planned.

The change was in how the plastic fills the mold. The pre-0707 mags had only one point where the plastic entered, at the seam at the upper 1/3 of the mag body. The new mags have two gating points, top and bottom. The result is a mag body that is more dimensionally correct. I think they underestimated the pressure drop across the mag.

Interestingly enough, there are no cavity marks on the mags, which makes me wonder if MagPul only has a single, one cavity tool for all the production. That would explain the long delay in getting mags.

Thanks Eric. So is it a better mousetrap in some ways than a USGI mag with a Magpul follower?

Also, if I order some from Brwonells now, would they be the latest and greatest? Thx.

Edited by chp5

Thanks Eric. So is it a better mousetrap in some ways than a USGI mag with a Magpul follower?

Also, if I order some from Brwonells now, would they be the latest and greatest? Thx.

I think it's a better mousetrap all the way around. A NHMTG mag is $13, bends, will eventually crack at the feedlips if left loaded, and has no warranty. The MagPul is $15, damned near indestructible, and if there's an issue, MagPul issues the recall before you have time to realize that there is an issue.

No clue on Brownell's stock since I bought mine from 44 mag. I think it's a zero risk proposition as MagPul promptly sent me 10 new tubes no money down.

And I've done the Forbidden Monopod on my MagPul mags like crazy and have had zero stoppages. I think a lot of "Mag Issues" are really "Parts Gun AR Issues." Just my opinion based on my very limited experiences.