Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CW Custom / Chuck Warner: Scum Gunsmith

jmaass

Once a year or so, I inquire on various mailing lists and newsgroups whether former gunsmith Chuck Warner Jr. ( <<spit!>> ) of Spartanburg SC has resurfaced among the shooting community.

Back in the early and mid-90s, Warner was doing business as CW Custom. Warner was often featured in Layne Simpson's magazine columns, and is much mentioned in his book on the Government Model.

When he disappeared from view, Warner owed me $2800 sent in payment for work on a gun, the price of a Caspian hi-cap frame kit, and seven Caspian magazines sent to him for tuning. At the time I sent him the final payment for my new racegun, I was told by Warner that it was within a few days of returning from the plater and completion. In fact, he had never worked on the gun in the 6 months since the order had been placed and frame kit, magazines, and deposit had been provided to him.

I was not the only victim: I was at one point in contact with several other people who each lost thousands of dollars to Warner for undelivered guns, stolen property, unreturned deposits, and final payments. One guy was out two complete raceguns, for which he had paid in full. Warner was being investigated by BATF, SC state law enforcement, and even his local zoning authorities when he finally turned in his FFL and dropped from view.

I hear periodic rumors that Chuck Warner has resurfaced in the shooting community in SC and NC.  

I've long since moved on, having established relationships with trustworthy, quality gunsmiths Matt McLearn and then George Smith at EGW. The statute of limitations has run out on his thefts from me, and I've long since written-off my losses. However, I feel a responsibility to share my experiences with Chuck Warner and CW Custom, in case he attempts to get back into gunsmithing and is again in a position to victimize additional shooters. I wouldn't mind an apology, either.

Has anyone heard any rumors or stories of Chuck Warner, Jr.  doing business once again?

(Edited by jmaass at 6:17 pm on Jan. 17, 2003)

(Edited by jmaass at 6:22 pm on Jan. 17, 2003)

• 7 years later...

Now Paul, don't do anything rash! :surprise: We ought to go visit the boy just to ask him one question...are you from South Carolina? The look on his face might be priceless.

Regards,

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

CW was everywhere in south carolina back then. I had several top-ranked shooters come by and privately tell me that he's a nice guy with pretty machining but didn't know squat about making a gun run. Layne was pretty much his pimp, if I can say that.

Every single customer of his I ever ran into either had malfunctions in a match, talked about the malfs that I didn't see, or at best had nothing good to say about the guy when asked. One tournament's prize table I had my pick of low-value trinkets OR a complete 38super top end by "master gunsmith Chuck Warner" - I passed on the top end & grabbed a trinket.

Rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Colt, Brownell's, Dillon, or Match Staff - are NOT PERMITTED. Brian's Forums is not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual.

Closed.