Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Firing Pin Stop Cracked

mscott

While cleaning my Springfield 1911 this evening I noticed the firing pin stop is cracked. Is there anything special about the part for a SA? I know their firing pin is different, but never heard anything about the firing pin stop. I sent them an e-mail, but of course they are closed for the weekend. I'm sure it will be a warranty covered part, but they always want you to ship your gun in and I'm going to the Single Stack Classic. I'd rather not trust the shipping companies this close to the match. I figured it would be safer to just order one and fit it myself. Any comments or recomendations?

It's not all that uncommon for a firing pin stop to crack - or break in half. Whether or not Springfield warrants it, you may want to keep a spare around.

I would expect it cracked at the 8 o'clock position from the hole to the corner. At least that is the most common location.

Guy

That is exactly what happened to mine, twice so far. A buddy is going to fit an EGW oversize stop and see if that will solve the problem.

I am? :P

I hope so, my last attempt didn't survive too well. It was an oversize wilson or brown part and didn't require any fitting at all; it dropped right in.

If it's any consolation my New unfired Springfield had the same cracked firing pin stop.I noticed cleaning the factory goo off it. My dealer called Springfield and they sent me a blue one gun was stainless. I complained again and got stainless one. I generally use EGW's I have never seen another stop crack other than the factory springfields.