Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 Slide Stop

kmitchl

The slide stop in my Kimber 9mm Stainless Target II backs out to the point the mag follower over rides the slide stop and the slide wil not lock back. There is about a .020" gap between the frame and slide stop where the slide stop leaves the hole in the frame. I tried the slide stop from another 1911. Although it fit better I had the same problem. Any suggestions on fixing this? I use Metalform mags with metal followers and Wolf 8# mag springs.

Keith

You wouldnt happen to be left handed ? If so is your right thumb pushing it. I had a similar problem with a Hipower clone (One of the reasons I quit messing with clones)

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure how you tell a 9mm/38 Super slide stop from the 45 version. I assume the 9mm/38 super slide stop protrudes further into the mag well to pick up the mag follower. I tried the slide stops from two other 45's and although they did not back out they would not necessarily lock open either. I have a Wilson Bulletproof 9mm/38 slide stop on the way from Brownells. I'll give it a try.

Keith

We used 9mm/.38Super slide stops in the .45 ACP competion guns in the days of yesteryear. They reach in further and assured us of a reliable slide lock back. I have an old Grizzly slide stop in my .38 Super Race Gun.

Too bad Kimber does not know much about 1911's. No telling what parts they would use.

• 2 weeks later...

Just call Kimber on the issue. I called them about my recoil springs. I have the same gun as you and am a lefty. Kimber told me they use a 12# recoil spring in the 9mm and a 16# in my Kimber Custom Eclipse II. Just some good info for you.

Redwoods