Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load For Uspsa .40, 180gr Moly Coated Lead

Well anyone got any ideas? Using 5.0gr of Titegroup right now, with 165gr Montana golds and Federal primers, but wanting to go to a heavier bullet. What I am hoping to do is make the whole process cheaper--Montana golds are too expensive, but I like using only 5gr of powder per round. Going to use the Master Blaster 180gr .40. Also I would like powder that has a better tolerance for differences in heat and altitude (currently @ 2200'), and it gets to about 110 in the summer. I know for the winter I will have to load up, but would like some ideas as to achieve the above goals.

I believe "the book" says around 4.7 grains of TG for the 180s loaded short (1.135"). I shot TG side by side with N320 and noticed it took about .2 grains less for TG to equal what N320 does at longer lengths like 1.160".

I'm running 5.0 grains of N320 with a 180 loaded to 1.160".

I tried 4.8 of TG and got the same velocity. I try for about 950 to equal the factory

velocity. I thought TG sounded louder but they were otherwise very close.

A local guy shooting .45 ACP with TG sounds like his loads are full power but are only about 175 PF...?

TG is my second choice for .40 and if you use the PB 185 bullets you can back off a few tenths....

Jeff,

Titegroup is probably the most popular; takes about 4.4 grains to make 170 PF with 180 MBB's at 1.135 in my G35 depending on ambient temperature (but YMMV). This is three tenths grain below textbook max and I used this load last summer (before I switched to WSF). I consider it safe (in MY gun) in our high-desert environment. We can break out a chrono and see how it works in your G22 if you like.

If you don't like TG, consider WSF and Universal Clays. Load data can be found at the Hodgdon website. Both powders make major in my gun at or near starting loads, so lots of margin if you are concerned about temperature sensitivity.

Regards,

Caesar

STI 5" 2011.

I use 4.6 of TG with a zero 180 grain. Loaded to 1.190", it yields 173 PF. 65 degrees and i sit at about 4000 feet elevation.

If i use a precision 185, i can go 4.4 and still make major easily.

4.4 grains for Titegroup under a 180 masterblaster moly makes 169 -170 PF in my 5" KKM barreled SV.

N320 IS cleaner (shot it before switching to TG), but since your're shooting a moly/lead bullet anyway (which still smoke slightly, but not as much has lubed lead), I can't tell much difference in my gun. I'm happy with Tightgroup, costs MUCH less, AND I can actually find it locally in shops. :P

I am working up loads right now for 185 gr Precision bullets with VV N-320. I was using 5 gr of N-320 with a 180 gr Zero JHP. I reduced the load to 4.6 and it is still a little hot. I would start at 4.2 gr and work up from there if you switch to N-320.

I don't know about coated lead, but with plain cast bullets Titegroup smokes worse than anything else I tried.

Universal Clays is a lot better, but I quit fooling around with lead bullets before I did a lot of testing.

Most of the smoke usually comes from a combination of the lube used on cast bullets, how it mixes with the burning powder, and to a certain degree humidity.

Moly coated bullets smoke much less than regular lead bullets in my experience. What smoke is left is mostly differences in powders at that point.

Of course, jacketed is still best for reducing smoke. YRMV.

I'm running 5.0 gr of Hodgdon HP-38 at 1.18 OAL with 185 gr Precision bullets. This makes 170 pf out of my stock 5" STI Edge bull barrel.

I tried Titegroup but the HP-38 was less smokey. I haven't tried N320 yet just because of cost.

I would like to try plain Clays but haven't gotten that brave yet. I know Henning says he uses plain Clays loaded to I believe 10mm lengths.

The VV burn rate chart shows HP-38 at about the same burn rate as N310 and faster than N320. I like the recoil feel that the HP-38 gives.

http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/chartVihta.asp

Chris

When I was shooting Limited with Bear creek 180's I was utilizing 5.0 gr of 231 at a seated OAL of 1.175". I could load them as long as 1.900 but opted for a ttad shorter in case the bullet wanted to jump forward under recoil. I think this load out of my 5" para made like 173 or 174 at area 2 a few years back. No it was not as clean as most modern day powders, but the gun ran at least 1500-2000 rounds before needing cleaning. It was good for a couple of month's matches and practices. For tightgroup I was running 4.7 at 1.175" and that too as I recall made about 170 ish pf.

Vince