Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester (non-toxic) Brass?

unclez

Was looking at some .45 brass on ebay and in one guys description he noted that "some of this brass may contain Winchester (non-toxic) brass" which he went on to describe as Winchester is starting to make this "NT" brass which has small primer pockets to reduce lead in indoor ranges.

Has anyone else heard of this or is the guy full of squat?

Zack

Was looking at some .45 brass on ebay and in one guys description he noted that "some of this brass may contain Winchester (non-toxic) brass" which he went on to describe as Winchester is starting to make this "NT" brass which has small primer pockets to reduce lead in indoor ranges.

Has anyone else heard of this or is the guy full of squat?

Zack

No squat, he is correct. That, combined with GAP, you have some sorting to do... :angry:

Win NT brass does exist and it is a total pain in the a** for reloaders. It takes a small primer and therefore needs to be separated from regular 45 brass. It is essentially useless for you so as long as it is not counted in the amount you are buying, you would just have the hassle of separating out those NT pieces.

Adam

I just started loading for .45acp (come from loading the .40) and was hoping he was full of squat.

I have 4500 cases coming. Looks like I have some work to do.

Is Winchester the only ones doing this at this time? I'm sure others will follow.

SInce you bought it - then use it. I loaded one up w/ a small pistol primer & it went "bang" - but your chrono data may be off due to the weaker primer (and they are slightly crimped in - you had better have a Dillon 1050 press).

SInce you bought it - then use it. I loaded one up w/ a small pistol primer & it went "bang" - but your chrono data may be off due to the weaker primer (and they are slightly crimped in - you had better have a Dillon 1050 press).

Oh no... I didn't buy his (In the ebay ad). I ordered 4500 from another company but looks like I/we/all .45 loaders will have to do more sorting through our brass in search for these odd balls.

I detest the WinClean brass myself, at least for .45 ACP. Since it came out there have been several versions you will want to keep an eye out for. First version used a LARGE primer but it also had an oversized flash hole. Second version used LARGE primers with a standard sized flash hole but because of major pressure problems such as flat primers or even backing them out. Third version used SMALL primers with a large flash hole. Fourth version SMALL primer with standard flash hole.

There may have been other versions but these are the only ones I have delt with myse.f When dealing with .45 ACP brass I sort it all by primer size then clean size and deprime. Once that is done I kull them again by flash hole size.

I try and avoid that stuff as much as I can.

Joe W.

• 11 months later...

If you have a lot, you could segregate them, switch out the large primer mechanism in your Dillon for the small primer version, and load them. As mentioned above, you'd have to rechrono them and/or adjust your load. And you'd need to keep them segregated from your other large primer 45 brass.

A revo guy took mine off my hands. He said he'd have no problem keeping it segregated since his brass always come back to him in moonclips, and that he custom loads for each gun so that wouldn't be an issue either. The several hundred I gave him will last him a long time.

Otherwise, it's scrap at something over $1.50 a pound.

Federal also makes small primered "NT" 45ACP brass. We recently found a significant quantity mixed in with some police range brass we bought. :o

Yep. Bought a bunch of closeout AE N/T stuff (at a price of about what brass would cost) and didn't realize the difference until I sorted after shooting. Adding insult to injury, several of the factory rounds locked up my guns failing to go into battery...when pulled, found severly mangled bullets with the damage concealed by the cartridge case. When I ran the remainder of the lot through Dillon's case gauge I found several more with bad bullets. Bad juju...

If you have a lot, you could segregate them, switch out the large primer mechanism in your Dillon for the small primer version, and load them. As mentioned above, you'd have to rechrono them and/or adjust your load. And you'd need to keep them segregated from your other large primer 45 brass.

A revo guy took mine off my hands. He said he'd have no problem keeping it segregated since his brass always come back to him in moonclips, and that he custom loads for each gun so that wouldn't be an issue either. The several hundred I gave him will last him a long time.

Otherwise, it's scrap at something over $1.50 a pound.

Thanks for the idea -- I've got some WinClean I was about ready to toss.

Instead I'll check with a friend who shoots a 625, see if he wants it.