Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Split Times

xdrocker

What are some good split times on targets at 10, 15, and 20 yards, while keeping them in the A zone assumming A and B class. Iron sights of course :(. Don't won't to get to lax on practice but at the same time don't won't to beat myself up either. Thanks

Split times will improve when your grip and stance (and index) are such that you can allow the gun to return to the target with the least amount of wasted movement and effort...or, without having to "muscle" the gun back onto the target.

I'd practice that in close to get this down.

• 1 month later...
In a match.. I would say

10 Yards .25

15 Yards .30

20 Yards .35

Some better shooters can put up better times.. but those times wont lose you matches.

I don’t know, guys. I just read a book called “Double Tap,” by Steve Martini, a genuine NYT bestselling author, in which someone is killed, at night, with two shots to the head at a distance of seven to ten yards. The holes in the head are a half-inch apart. In courtroom testimony, repeated several times and never questioned, it is established that the two shots were”…fired within a millisecond of each other. As fast as a healthy human hand and index finger could pull the trigger two times.” The gun, moreover, had a silencer which acted as a muzzle brake, so “it wouldn’t matter if the shooter were an expert marksman or a novice.” For those of you who doubt the ability of a novice to get a good hit even the first shot, it develops that the gun, an H&K, has a laser sight affixed. 'Nuf said?

Why use a full-auto item when a semi-auto gives you a 60,000 rounds per minutes rate of fire?

In a match.. I would say

10 Yards .25

15 Yards .30

20 Yards .35

Some better shooters can put up better times.. but those times wont lose you matches.

I don’t know, guys. I just read a book called “Double Tap,” by Steve Martini, a genuine NYT bestselling author, in which someone is killed, at night, with two shots to the head at a distance of seven to ten yards. The holes in the head are a half-inch apart. In courtroom testimony, repeated several times and never questioned, it is established that the two shots were”…fired within a millisecond of each other. As fast as a healthy human hand and index finger could pull the trigger two times.” The gun, moreover, had a silencer which acted as a muzzle brake, so “it wouldn’t matter if the shooter were an expert marksman or a novice.” For those of you who doubt the ability of a novice to get a good hit even the first shot, it develops that the gun, an H&K, has a laser sight affixed. 'Nuf said?

Why use a full-auto item when a semi-auto gives you a 60,000 rounds per minutes rate of fire?

So how fast is a millisecond?? We need to see actual times.

The double tap is two shots fired from one sight picture. You'll find out that you can fire 2 aimed shots and see the sights on both shots just as fast as you can pull the trigger. The double tap is not any faster than 2 aimed shots. The goal is to see the sights on every shot. Your eyes are faster than you can imagine and once you open them up you'll be surprised what you see.

There are guys on this forum who can shoot .10-.11 splits. There are guys also the can shoot .09 splits in the sport. These are aimed shots, not just pulling the trigger.

And just to give you heads up. Its against the rules to discuss self defense stuff on this forum.

Make sure to use the search function to find lots of info.

Welcome to the forums

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

I think Gallow was making a joke. :)

---------------------------

In a match.. I would say

10 Yards .25

I agree.

If an up-and-coming shooter isn't getting splits at 10y in around 0.25s, then there likely is some technique issues that could be addressed. (It's really not a matter of trying to just go faster.)

The grip and stance need to such that it allows the gun to return to the target without to much extra input. And, the shooting hand grip needs to be...soft(? not sure if that is the best word)...enough to allow the trigger finger to work. Which means, the weak-hand need to be doing a larger portion of the work in holding the gun.

When all that comes together...shooting Alphas like Steve does in the video will be right at your fingertips.

.01 faster than the other guy. :P

Don't stress too much on it. Practice good solid splits, then start speeding up until you throw'em too far out. Then settle down and focus on that bump out front. Soon the times will start meshing and then concentrate on doing it Cold, from the holster, etc..

When you can do your fastest time cold with good hits, then it's time to start all over and push yourself some more.

Or buy a Video Camera and speed it up! :lol:

Seriously, there are so many things that make a difference in a Match. Splits are a small, solid part that can be worked on. The Mental Game is the toughest, and the hardest to work on.

Edited by pskys2

Hey DP look another one :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry Flex, I KNOW you have had a busy week but I just could NOT help myself.

:ph34r: Silently the mall ninja stalks his prey....

We'll give him a pass, under careful scrutiny on this one, don't "CRUSH" him yet.

But low post count and Mall Ninja humor always raises a flag with me, either someone I am going to buy a beer and laugh with, or someone I will laugh at buying someone else a beer. Hey either way there's laughter and beer, what do I care? B)

And Yes, I am still keeping my word and staying away from the DRM thread and "Single Stack Wonder". For now....

Edited by dirtypool40

.01 faster than the other guy. :P

Don't stress too much on it. Practice good solid splits, then start speeding up until you throw'em too far out. Then settle down and focus on that bump out front. Soon the times will start meshing and then concentrate on doing it Cold, from the holster, etc..

When you can do your fastest time cold with good hits, then it's time to start all over and push yourself some more.

Or buy a Video Camera and speed it up! :lol:

Seriously, there are so many things that make a difference in a Match. Splits are a small, solid part that can be worked on. The Mental Game is the toughest, and the hardest to work on.

GOOD POST :ph34r:

PAT

"The double tap is two shots fired from one sight picture. You'll find out that you can fire 2 aimed shots and see the sights on both shots just as fast as you can pull the trigger. The double tap is not any faster than 2 aimed shots. The goal is to see the sights on every shot. Your eyes are faster than you can imagine and once you open them up you'll be surprised what you see."

Never heard of it described this way.

I've always fired a double tap as two aimed shots.

I can't recall ever firing a shot without a sight picture or some type of indexing.

I just put in some new tri-glide stuff in my latest SV and the doubletaps have

been .10-.12 splits at will with a sight picture for BOTH shots.

I've heard it describes as a "controlled pair" or "two quick ones" but never two pulls for one sight picture....?

"The double tap is two shots fired from one sight picture. You'll find out that you can fire 2 aimed shots and see the sights on both shots just as fast as you can pull the trigger. The double tap is not any faster than 2 aimed shots. The goal is to see the sights on every shot. Your eyes are faster than you can imagine and once you open them up you'll be surprised what you see."

Never heard of it described this way.

I've always fired a double tap as two aimed shots.

I can't recall ever firing a shot without a sight picture or some type of indexing.

I just put in some new tri-glide stuff in my latest SV and the doubletaps have

been .10-.12 splits at will with a sight picture for BOTH shots.

I've heard it describes as a "controlled pair" or "two quick ones" but never two pulls for one sight picture....?

Your right on, I'm saying the same thing. There is a very different meaning of Double Tap Vs Control par out there floating around.

Flyin40

I don't believe I've ever "Not Seen" a sight picture. No matter how fast I shoot. Even a true Double Tap, where you trigger 2 shots with one good sight picture, will allow you to see that front sight at the time the shot lets off. It's just that the faster you go the less time you have to correct it. The few recorded .12's I've done were great for fun, but I had no time to adjust. The shots just went where the gun was pointed and I just verified them.

That's why you'll see the top shooters, especially in open, hosing a position and they'll take extra shots at a target without breaking their rhythym. They saw that the sights weren't where they should be, but couldn't break the flow to change it.

With a 1911 I pretty much have to take what my stance and grip gives me at anything under .16. I'm sure younger and/or better shooters can make subtle corrections below that.

The question becomes is it worth it? You will actually place higher if you practice 15+ yard splits. That's where you will gain ground quickly on anyone below Master Class. Practice there can gain you several tenths, not hundreths, of a second.

Try a test:

Start at contact distance with no draw. record how fast you can get 2 shots into the A zone. Then keep moving back until you can no longer get that same speed and A's. That's the minimum distance to practice your fast splits. Probably will be 5-7 yards.

Then keep moving back to the next range (say 10, then 15, then 20, etc...) and recording how fast you can do splits with A's. At some point there will be a big jump in time needed to get A's. That's the real area to work on your splits.

Good Luck

In particular, IF I am alone at the range, I like to keep my toys close at hand in a condition that allows them to be played with if the neighborhood bully should show up and want to play.

ot a good idea to have a few thou in toys lying back at the table when you are 100 or so yards away taping your targets.

Good way to lose your toys.

Jim

In particular, IF I am alone at the range, I like to keep my toys close at hand in a condition that allows them to be played with if the neighborhood bully should show up and want to play.

ot a good idea to have a few thou in toys lying back at the table when you are 100 or so yards away taping your targets.

Good way to lose your toys.

Jim

....or your life....