Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cooley Compensator On 308

stubbicatt

I've put maybe 300 rounds or so through my rifle since I installed the Cooley brake. What a difference in performance. A great device. Thanks JP Enterprises and Cooley.

I decided today would be a good day to clean the rifle, and so I did. The paint on the rearward edges of the brake is eroded away, and the metal is starting to appear sort of granular. I understand that some erosion will occur when you are putting that much powder through that small of an area.

My question is, if you know the answer, how long will this brake last before it is eroded away due to powder gases?

Thanks.

IMG_0293.jpg

Edited by stubbicatt

I've put maybe 300 rounds or so through my rifle since I installed the Cooley brake. What a difference in performance. A great device. Thanks JP Enterprises and Cooley.

I decided today would be a good day to clean the rifle, and so I did. The paint on the rearward edges of the brake is eroded away, and the metal is starting to appear sort of granular. I understand that some erosion will occur when you are putting that much powder through that small of an area.

My question is, if you know the answer, how long will this brake last before it is eroded away due to powder gases?

Thanks.

Cant say how long that one will last. But the Benny Hill thunder comp is aviable for .308 and is stainless.

Boys... I'm not complaining. I LIKE this brake. A lot. I just wonder if anybody has shot enough rounds through one to wear it out.

... Thanks.

LKYTX, does the "Thunder" fit on a HK 91? I remember sending an email to Bennie Hill but as I recollect he never did respond. If he did respond I must have concluded that he did not make one that would fit.

This brake fits, and it seems to work pretty well. Kicks up a lot of dust from prone... seems I have a new understanding of the word "SANDwich". LOL.

Edited by stubbicatt

IMO wearing out comps is like wearing out guns, if you do find a way you are one fortunate SOB, and you should hope and pray that you are fortunate enough to do it again. The time and money it takes to hurt quality gun parts is not insignificant, and I hope and pray that many more will fall to my will.

Stubbi,

That is normal wear, don't worry about it. Over time, you will start to see a parabolic crown around the back edge of the blast baffle bores holes. I wouldn't be concerned about wearing out the comp until either it cracks or the blast baffle bore holes become irregular due to erosion.

Until then, shoot fast, repeat as necessary.

Erik

Stubbi,

All you did was to wear off some very sharp edges, your brake will last 1000's of rounds in the semi-auto mode. And the really cool thing is....if ya dont.....John will back it up 100%

• 1 month later...

I now have about 1000 rounds through this rifle/compensator setup. I really really love the PTR 91. It is a neat rifle. There are many other rifles which are better for this sport, true enough. But at my level of development as a competitor, it isn't an equipment choice which is holding me back, but practice and familiarity, and confidence... but that's not what I'm writing 'bout...

Question now arises as to whether there is a solvent that you guys like that will get through the baked on carbon which builds up on the "baffles" of this sort of device?

My eyes are not so good and the light is not so good in my work area where I clean my guns, and the other day while outside I noticed that the radiuses in the muzzle brake were sort of vague. Upon closer examination it is a whole bunch of really hard carbon. It wouldn't budge with a copper brush and MPro7. I used a dental pick to get at some of it, but the patience necessary to do the whole device is more than I have.

I sure do appreciate your suggestions.

Regards,

Stub

I think it was Matt Burkett that said. "Pretty guns don't win tournaments."

Don't worry about a little carbon on your comp. What did you expect to happen?

Just shoot it and do some basic cleaning to keep the gun cycling.

Edited by Pclark832

That brake looks great compared to my Cooley on my .223.

I shot three tubs (2700 rounds each) of South African surplus plus a bunch of UMC through the original Colt barrel on my HBAR. The brake lasted longer than the barrel! I used it for several thousand on the new DPMS barrel until I won a new JP Tactical brake in March.

It had eroded severely but was working OK. I felt some difference with the new brake though.

Two buddies bought DPMS .308s that came with this Tactical brake. They changed out for the JP "liminator" OPEN brake that should be much more effective for a .308.

I remove the carbon buildup with a bead blaster and reblue it....