Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Ar

spooledup

I am in the market for a 9mm AR and had a few questions . First off who makes the best ? Second what mags can I use ? It will just be for plinking and indoor ranges . Thanks

If I were looking to buy another 9mm AR I would probably buy one of the Olympic Arms

AR's that use Glock mags. Every one that I've seen so far seems to run well, and

Glock mags are cheap. I believe Rock River makes one also, and I haven't heard any bad about them. IIRC, you can buy a RRA from Eagle cheaper than buying it from RRA.

Bill

My Rock River runs like a champ. Comes with one RRA 25 rd mag, but no last shot bolt hold open with it. Colt 9mm mags work great in it, have 20's and 32's, no probs at all. I do have one polymer mag from a Bushmaster, I think ProMag makes them for Bushy, and it sucks. Feed lips bulge out of whack when you load it past 20 rounds or so.

We've had one of the Bushmaster carbon 9mm come back to the shop in pieces, happened on it's first mag. Not a destructive owner (I know the guy). Personally, I'd not trust that particular weapon. The RRA's are a great gun, but kinda pricey. Can't believe I paid that much for it and then turned around and made it into a SBR with a 10" barrel. But it's FUN!

Model One Sales now has a 9mm upper. I only saw the 7.5" barrel version, but since I have a SBR AR receiver already, I think I need one (expecially for $350 :) )

Alex

They do have longer ones. Look under CAR uppers. Also $350. You do realize that that's

not a complete upper. The carrier/bolt/charge handle is an option.

Bill

I know recently in the last year, Gun Tests did a comparison on the RR, Oly, and Bushy and the Oly won hands down. They liked the availability and use of the glock mags and they had no malfunctions. Don't own one but I remembered the article. May if you can find it that would help ya make a decision.

I got my Oly GL9 about 2 months ago. I had to look for about a month to find one. The factory said it would be a six month wait to order direct. Price was a little higher than it otherwise might have been because of this situation. I paid 870 for a 16" barrel A3 config.

I've only had 2 malfunctions both were in about the first 50 rounds and both were when being shot by shooters unfamiliar with ARs. I have modified mine.

I consider this one of the most fun guns I have. Also surprisingly accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the colt 6450. The gun came with 2 crappy fountain spewing mags, which colt replaced, no questions asked. I have had the rifle for over a year now, and have not had 1 failure, with the new mags. I use this rifle extensively for my cq course 3 gun rifle. I love this little rifle, and it is very fun to shoot. I noticed also that c products is now making mags for them, so you wont have to buy the $50 oem colts. 1 other point to mention, if you shoot competition with a 9mm AR, make sure the timer is close to the muzzle. We have had to do a few reshoots, because the quiter muzzle report.