Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Spartan Vs Taurus Pt1911

Adam B

My father is looking for a 1911 in .45 ACP just to have one and he has narrowed it down to the Taurus PT 1911 and the STI Spartan. What are the +/-'s of each gun and what would you get, not take in consideration that he is not going to compete with this gun.

Haven't touched a Spartan yet but have handled/shot 6 Taurus (should that be Tauri??) .... there seems to me to be more variation among them than I'm used to with, for instance, SA GI or MilSpecs. Some horrible triggers, some OK for stock production, a couple w very loose slide-frame fit.

Spartan thus far seems to have better reviews for the price point.

/Bryan

Edited by Canuck-IL

Other than just looking at two of them I dont have experience with the Tarus, But the two I looked at didnt impress me. I have shot two of the Spartans and really like them. The Spartans are about as basic 1911 as you can get and still have some nice features. They are well fit, fuction has been flawless with both of them, shoot good and will feed anything you put in them, they also dont have any added safety features such as key locks or fireing pin blocks to save me from myself. Spartans are just good basic 1911s. I like them.---------Larry

Nemo

Forget it , none of them go around and around. You probably forgot how to load a bottom feeder.

I'LL SHOW YOU! There's one somewhere in the house. If I could only find it...

;)

The RIA Tactical retails in the $400-$429 range. RIA has just come out with their version of the Spartan. Think it is called the Match. Pretty good review here. http://ezine.m1911.org/RIAMatch_frame.htm

Seems like it is priced less than the Spartan.

Both of these guns are starting to creep up price wise into Kimber land. Neither are IMO in the same class as a Kimber.

That being said the RIA Tactical is one of the better buys for the money. Mine has not skipped a beat. I plan on shooting CDP some this year. There is a certain satisfaction I get beating the high dollar (+$1500) guns with one I paid $400 for.

Yeah, for the money make sure he gets a look at the Kimber and Springers. For an absolute bargain, the RIA and Taurus are acceptable, but past that, I'd have to go at least Springer / Kimber, and pretty quick you're into STI.

Explain WHY things are better and cost more. Just because it's in the shape of a nice 1911 doesn't mean it's functionally the same or will be even roughly equivelant at the higher ends of use and life span.

Edited by dirtypool40

Don't want to start any war here, but IMO the "Best Buys" in 1911 land are as follows. The Ria Tactical @ $400, A CST Kimber @ $800 and a Les Baer Premier II @ $1,400. I am just partial to Kimber. One could insert SA into the Kimber slot just as easily.

Time will tell how the RIA holds up. If given a choice I will choose forged over cast/barstock everytime.

Don't want to start any war here, but IMO the "Best Buys" in 1911 land are as follows. The Ria Tactical @ $400, A CST Kimber @ $800 and a Les Baer Premier II @ $1,400. I am just partial to Kimber. One could insert SA into the Kimber slot just as easily.

Time will tell how the RIA holds up. If given a choice I will choose forged over cast/barstock everytime.

No argument from me, with Kimber (what is the CST?) and PII -- I've had two Kimber Custom II's in the past, and still have my PII.

The PII is still hammer tight -- almost freakishly so, and while I can't say it is any more or less accurate than the first Kimber I owned (and regret selling <g>) it simply feels great. There's very much a hand-fitted vibe, as the slide has file-marks on the interior, etc., but no matter.

I will caution that with an S&A magwell, there's no way it makes IDPA CDP weight, if that's important. I'm not even sure *without* the S&A it wouldn't be too heavy, which is some %$*#*!.

The last Kimber I bought was another Custom II, and I think it was $680 from a place that sold for $50 over cost. I imagine with the right dealer, you could save even that, which is getting close to the 'new' price of the Spartan.

And hey -- those seem to be getting rave reviews, too. A great time to be alive and looking for a 1911, I guess. :)

CST= Custom Stainless Target. I checked the weight on three of my 1911s the other day. They were weighed on a State certified scale in our QC department. My Kimber CST with S&A mag well, FLGR, single thumb safety and micarta grips weighed 40.3 oz. The RIA with the same options weighed 40.2 oz. The 9MM CST Kimber came in at 42.0 oz. Each gun was weighed with an empty Wilson mag.

Edited by Joe D

I will caution that with an S&A magwell, there's no way it makes IDPA CDP weight, if that's important. I'm not even sure *without* the S&A it wouldn't be too heavy, which is some %$*#*!.

Several years ago I weighed a Les Baer Ultimate Master which is, in essence, a Premier II with a mag funnel, and it made weight but only with the supplied shorty guide rod and solid plug. With a FLGR installed, by contrast, it was over. Les Baer GMs use National Match frames and thus are about two ounces heavier then an equivalent 1911 with a standard frame.

I have been using a Taurus for the last two months. It has been 100% reliable with all bullet types I have tried. I lube it with SG 3 [Florida] and it just runs. The finish is thin and showing wear but no rust.