Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Bought Cz Tactical Sport

stubbicatt

I've been eyeballing this pistol for quite a long while in the dealer's showcase, and last night I bought it.

I am impressed with the solidity of this piece, and it seems to point well for me. My hands fit it pretty well too. It has a plastic magazine well, which truthfully I don't see as any particular advantage over a standard opening. You still have to get the mags lined up and such before pushing them in.

It is .40 cal, and the magazines hold 17 rounds apiece, and there are 3 of them. I understand a lot of guys run with 20 rounds or so. In order to have magazines hold that many rounds, I understand I need to obtain modified base plates, with the Taylor Freelance being the recommended route.

I've shot production so far and limited 10, but not limited. How many mags should I have for this class? Should I get the baseplates to increase round count to 19 apiece? Which holster and mag carriers should I get for this pistol?

Thanks in advance for your advice. Anything else I should concern myself with or be aware of?

Congrats,

great choice for Limited.

To answer your questions you are going to need a total of 4 magazines but will usually not use more than 2 or 3 for most COFs.

The plastic magwell works fine. I learned the hardway going for the then available Makfakta magwell. The Makfakta magwell does not work well unmodified with the Taylor Freelance basepads. Speaking of which, the TF basepads are great for adding up to 20 rounds, but they can't be used unmodified as contact with the back end of the basebad will effect how the mag seats in the frame. I plan to stick to 19 rounds w/one in the pipe for Limited division this year.

I think holsters are a personal choice. I happen to use the ghost holster but have a Blade-Tech DOH as a back up should the ghost holster go down. As far as mag holders I went a different path and are trying the speed comp mag pouches and thinking about going to the Guga Ribas holders. Have fun, I think you'll really enjoy this pistol.

-Albert

I keep 4 mags on my belt, probably overkill but some days the steel just won't fall. As for extra capacity, I'm waiting on an aluminum base pad. Starting with 18 rounds isn't an issue, there's always a place to reload. Most course designers are smart enough to create stages that don't let the shooter hose from one position...So no you won't NEED base pads.

The thin aluminum grips and magazine well Angus sells are two great improvements on the ergonomics of the TS.

You can probably use your Production mag pouches in the interim.

I use the CR Speed holster for mine, as well as their mag carriers. Fiber optic front sight helped out a lot. Of my own volition I changed to a lighter recoil spring, thin alum grips and magwell, as well as the TF basepads. These required a bit of trimming to work with the aftermarket magwell, bit no big deal.

Thin aluminum grips and aluminum magwell from Angus (ghostholster.com), and TF base pad(s). TF is supposedly working on a new design for his basepads. In most cases you really only need the higher capacity for the first magazine. I have one mag in the gun and 3 on my belt.

USPSA stages, as often as not, are setup with arrays of targets. It used to be that the arrays were limited to 8 shots required (if you didn't miss). With the current (green) rulebook, we went with 9 shot arrays. But, the new rule book is talking about us going back to 8 shots per position.

What's that mean to the Limited shooter ? It means you can likely get through two arrays without having to do a reload if you set a couple of your mags up to hold the maximum capacity allowed.

If I can get 20 in the gun to start, and I plan to reload after engaging targets that require 18 shots, then I have two spare rounds in the gun. Those spares can be pretty important. For one, I might miss and need them as make-up shots. Two, guns will always eject mags and feed bullets better when there are still rounds in the mag. Third, with extra rounds, I'll always have a round in the chamber when doing a reload...thus preventing a slide lock/empty gun situation.

Add grip tape, and off you go! I took grip panels from my normal CZ75 and put them on TS, now the grip is a little fatter than with the original wood panels. I don't like slim guns.

And here is a custom holster from Finland: http://www.perfect-s.net/galleria/albums/u...4649-01_800.jpg

Perfect! The position of the holster is totally adjustable in all directions. It locks with the lever that is visible in the pic. The lever has 3 positions: 1. locked, lever pretty much hidden 2. locked, with lever as in picture, easy to sweep the lever while drawing the gun 3. open

Angus magwell,slim grips, fiber optic front sight ..xtra long mag springs from CZ usa (contact Adam he is the best ) and Taylor freelance mag bases and you are set...i tried palying around diff set ups and for me these are the best...i had used the stock springs but it caused reliabilty problems for me (too short)....Robin is almost finished with the new aluminum Basepads they have more "forward pressure" so i guess it will be more reliable...

August

Angus magwell,slim grips, fiber optic front sight ..xtra long mag springs from CZ usa (contact Adam he is the best ) and Taylor freelance mag bases and you are set...i tried palying around diff set ups and for me these are the best...i had used the stock springs but it caused reliabilty problems for me (too short)....Robin is almost finished with the new aluminum Basepads they have more "forward pressure" so i guess it will be more reliable...

August

Willco.

I wonder, I shot the pistol for first time last night. It is really quite nice, and reveals any flaws or shortcomings in stance or grip right away. I like it, and I think it will help me to learn. What I wonder about is how often to clean this piece? How long before it is considered "broken in?"

Thanks.

August

Willco.

I wonder, I shot the pistol for first time last night. It is really quite nice, and reveals any flaws or shortcomings in stance or grip right away. I like it, and I think it will help me to learn. What I wonder about is how often to clean this piece? How long before it is considered "broken in?"

Thanks.

i almost never clean the lower end of the pistol (frame) i just give it a quick wipe down with a rag or whatever i can find ,the upper(slide,Barrel) i clean every time after i have used it...get a 600 grit sand paper and just polish the feed ramp i believe Brian has already covered this ....Mine has only 1400 rounds through it so i dont know if its broken in already....all i can say is that it is pain to experiment with diff kinds of set ups <_<

get a 600 grit sand paper and just polish the feed ramp i believe Brian has already covered this

The bullet shaped felt tip that comes with Dremel tools is prefect for this. Super shiny! I don't clean my barrel often, not every month. (At least wintertime when I shoot only 2 times a week.) After every use I just wipe the gun clean, and perhaps do a bigger cleaning before matches.

Shot some masterblastersbullets dot com 180 grain bullets in the gun this afternoon, seated to 1.135" and using the same amount of the same powder (titegroup) I use for the plated Berry's bullets. They shot equally as well, and no obvious fouling more than what is usually in the barrel. They were a little smoky.

However. velocities were quite a bit higher, nearly 50 - 60 fps faster, and these were longer COAL.

What gives here? I've read where lead bullets tend to shoot a bit faster, and these bear that out. I wonder had I seated these to the 1.125" depth would the pressure have been excessive? I may experiment with an even longer cartridge, as the magazine will accept it. Or I suppose I could drop the charge down .2 grains and see if velocities drop from 1020 on down to the 970 range again.

The primers were a little flatter than the plated bullets too, but they didn't look "flat" or in dangerous pressure zones.

Ideas? Thanks. Still a neat gun.

Edited by stubbicatt

Well, your CZ probably has a longer barrel, slightly, than what you're normally loading for, so, more velocity there. Another thing I expierenced is that, like you, when I went from 180 jhp Zero's to 180 lead, I had to reduce my powder charge to get back down to the 169pf range. I never chrono'd it after the change, but it was significantly hotter. I did a sample pack of the MasterBlaster's also and had the same effect.