Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The 646 Is Awesome!

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I shot my 646 today and all I can say is "it is Freaken awesome". I have not shot alot of revolvers but this is great to shoot with my IDPA loads. It is very accurate and fun to shoot. The only problems I have had are light strikes on some of the various brass I used. Only about 8 or so out of 150 rounds. I'm going to try Winchester only brass tomorrow and see if that solves the problem. The loads I used are my IDPA esp loads for my STI. They are various headstamps but all Winchester primers (WSP) and Tite Group powder. I know I need a bigger grip than the Hogue that is on it and have to work on my reloading technique. I have 3 different kinds of moonclips. Two different kinds of steel ones and a plastic type. The plastic yielded the most light strikes. You guys are correct in saying that S&W should bring this one back. Sorry no picks yet but soon. Thanks Eric

Hello: I know the Federal primers are softer than the Winchester or the hard as rock CCI primers. I was just trying to get away with one setup for all my pistols. I guess I'll get some Federal primers tomorow as well to try them. Keep the good info coming. Thanks Eric

I really like shooting my 646 in competition with minor loads.

I'm not nearly as thrilled shooting my 646 for any length of time with major loads. My 625 is much more pleasant to shoot with the full-power stuff.

In addition to using Federal primers, make sure the primers are all fully seated to below flush. You can tune the action ridiculously light yet still 100% reliable if you do those two simple things.

..and in my opinion, lose the plastic moonclips. They will fail you when you least need them to. Use them for standing practice only if you can. I tried them for my gun when I started (as an economic decision) and had them let me down several times.

Aircooled,

Glad you like your new 6 blaster!!!! :)

If the occasional light strike doesn't offend you there is nothing wrong with shooting wichester primers. and with a good action job it should fire those 100% with around an 8 pound double action trigger pull (mine will do it at 7 1/2).

I know they seem pretty expensive, but for moonclips for the 646 the Hearthco is top of the line and I suggest getting them for at least the matches that you decide are pretty important.

Expensive? compared to the S_I 140 and 170 mm tuned, with base pads, springs and followers the moons are cheap. Just depends on the point of view. ;)

everyone talks about the primers being seated below flush, I guess I am lucky as my wheelguns will run with flush primers, and even sometimes not so flush but those I use strickly for practice of club matches where I pick on the auto loader shooters.

Can't help you for the grip, I use a Miculek and like it.

Good luck with your adventure! :)

Hopalong

I am another fan of 646 ( and L frame), if someone think to force S&W to bring it back in production please insist for a 5" barrell, 4" is good for handling and minor loads but

my 686 6" with 200g Major against my beloved 646s loaded with 205g Major wins on recoil and muzzlejump clearly.

Hello: Update, I used the Federal primers today and it went bang every time. I shot the steel match and did ok. I need to change the grips though to cover the backstrap and be a little larger for my hands. Also at the match there were alot of questions as to what gun is that? I told them it was a 646 and 40 caliber and they all liked the looks of it. The question was do they sell a 40? I said not anymore and there reply was that's a shame. I also learned I need more moonclips, since reloading them between stages was a hassle. I have 18 moonclips that are usable steel ones and 6 plastic that I didn't try at the match. I want to thank all you guys for the help and hope to shoot this great little revolver alot more. In three weeks our local ICORE match and more fun. Thanks Eric

I couldn't agree with you more! I'd like to see them bring them back so I could buy another one. Bob the hammer and get a Miculek grip!

What PF are your ESP loads? If you plan on shooting this for IDPA, you have to shoot 165 PF.

Edited by COF

• 2 weeks later...

Eric,

Ranch products moonclips are $75 per 100 and work well in my gun. I also use the same moonclips in my 686 in 38 Super. Always with Federal primers. So far I have used the standard length firing pin. Forgot to mention I use Winchester brass in 40 S&W ans Remington brass in 38 Super.

Hello: Update, I used the Federal primers today and it went bang every time. I shot the steel match and did ok. I need to change the grips though to cover the backstrap and be a little larger for my hands. Also at the match there were alot of questions as to what gun is that? I told them it was a 646 and 40 caliber and they all liked the looks of it. The question was do they sell a 40? I said not anymore and there reply was that's a shame. I also learned I need more moonclips, since reloading them between stages was a hassle. I have 18 moonclips that are usable steel ones and 6 plastic that I didn't try at the match. I want to thank all you guys for the help and hope to shoot this great little revolver alot more. In three weeks our local ICORE match and more fun. Thanks Eric
Edited by TonyT

Hello: My ESP loads for IDPA are 131000 power factor. I know I will have to bump that up for ESR in IDPA ouch. I have tried to contact Ranch Products but they are in Germany at a Product show apparently. I will order some moonclips to try in both sizes 0.035 and 0.040. I currently have 0.035. Could you use the 646 in SSR using a speedloader instead of moonclips or will the cases get stuck? Thanks Eric

Hello: My ESP loads for IDPA are 131000 power factor. I know I will have to bump that up for ESR in IDPA ouch. I have tried to contact Ranch Products but they are in Germany at a Product show apparently. I will order some moonclips to try in both sizes 0.035 and 0.040. I currently have 0.035. Could you use the 646 in SSR using a speedloader instead of moonclips or will the cases get stuck? Thanks Eric

There's sometimes a difference in the thickness of the moonclip that will fit only with particular brands of brass. In my 357 Magnum, Federal and RP brass fit my moon clips fine, but Winchester and many other brands don't have enough space in the groove to work. OTOH, if the moon clip is too thin, the shells will be 'floppy' and harder to reload, with one or more shells hitting the cylinder webbing rather than dropping in smoothly.

I got a Pachmyr grip for my Mod 686 L-frame. It wraps around the backstrap, gives great grip without slipping. You might have to Dremel off a little rubber to allow moonclip reloads to slide in easily. Personally, I don't like the smooth hard finish of the Miculek grips. The Pachmyr absorbs a little more of the recoil and allows shooting Major PF all day long.

Edited by professor