Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

don't know how to open a door

skeeter

once at big match during the walk thru of a stage they showed how you most fire thr a door, we all stood in line to see the targets thru the door  and i didn't think about opening the door so when my turn to shoot came i got off the 1st 8 shoots then ran like a bat out hell to the door, where i threw my hole body in to so it would open real fast. bamm i staggered back the door was still closed so i threw myself at it again, the whole wall was shaking on the 3rd try the ro say " try turning the door knob" who would have thunk it? a real door knob.

Too funny! I wish I could've seen that lin person, but I can see it clearly in my mind and I have a couple of questions: 1-in what way exactly does you running resemble a bat out of hell? 2-why didn't the whole door frame cave in when you hit it? were the frame posts sunk below the frost line in cement? ps I joined DC tonight, where were you?

Hey skeeter,   I'm not sure which side of 300 twix is on but I've seen him move plenty.  Its usually not a pretty sight,  but then there was that match in cinci when he was either trying to go prone or sliding into home base.  Which ever all we saw was him rolled up in the carpet muttering something about,,,"I can't I'm too fat!!!".  My kingdom for a video camera that day!!!

Was the door a no shoot???  Maybe next time you could just shoot the hinges off!!!

Ran a stage once where you start outside the door with a gym bag in hand.  You had to go through the door, put the bag on the table, and retrieve your gun from the table before engaging T1.  Word to the wise...if you're a right handed shooter carry the bag in your left hand or at the very least well clear of your rig.  Otherwise, you'd look pretty silly if you snagged the bag straps on your empty holster as you went through the doorway and then practically ripped your pants off trying to disentangle it before being able to engage the first target.  I know I did.

Ah yes, the "Cinci Rug Roll". 3QT, I really wasn't ready to let out this devastating new technique for shooting through low ports, but I thought that I explained how wrapping yourself in the Berber provided additional lateral support AND a convenient place to hide your head while laughing at yourself for how stupid you feel (for what other alternative do you have)?

• 7 months later...

A goof-up I did was not paying attention to the door's mechanism during the walk-through (at an area match, of course).  The door activated a drop turner and I had the angles all dialed in, but I didn't really look at the knob too much.

So when I finally get to shoot the stage, I go smokin' through some targets, race up to the door, yank on the door knob REALLY hard - ready to hose the drop turner.  

Gee, those knobs are really strong.  I stare at the door in disbelief as it remains closed.  So, I give it another yank.  Still nothing.  

Looking at the knob with all my ability in full hollywood slo-mo, I see daylight coming through the gap in the door jam.  I also see a shiny reflection of the BOLT from the door knob.  What the heck?  A complete, working door knob.  Great.  Turn the knob, then open the door.

Moral:  test every prop if you care about the match outcome, period.  Even if you're the last one to do it and the stage crew groans, it's what you travelled there to do.  

You're supposed to use the door knob to open the door?

What a revelation, I have seen the light!

The local range was trying out a limited combat couse design (mostly to see if there was sufficient interest, to continue) and they had a real door and mechanism, but it opened outwards (minor oversight).

Well, I was doing good  and was a little aggressive coming up to this stage and realised a little late that I was moving too fast to be able to stop in time, slipping and falling/crashing into a rather solidly built prop didn't interest me at all. So I slammed into the door (all 200 lbs of me) and it and the frame, followed by myself were now on the inside of the wall and I finished the stage, laying on my side ontop of the door. ( Thankfully the frame/door was held into the wall by only half a dozen nails)

Everyone and I mean everyone was just about rolling on the ground laughing (after they made sure I was unhurt) The whole rest of the shoot the RO, was calling out KNOCK, KNOCK.. front and center.

We had a real Howl after that little misadventure.

Unfortuantely, the range decided that they would stick primarily with Bullseye and Black powder shooting.