Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Mags Dont Drop!

shooterbenedetto

If you have been using the 170 for a period of time and this is an ongoing problem, take a look at the mag for "rub" marks. If it is binding all the time there should be some marks on the mag body that show where it is binding when put inside the grip.

Then you need to decide if problem is with a mag that might need tuning or a grip that might need some relieving.

STI mags are REALLY inconsistent in size, both front to back and side to side.

Measure your old mags both ways, measure the 170. It is probably too wide. If that is the case you can squeeze it just a hair but a lot of times that will make it too long front to back. Squeeze it that way too. Get it as good as you can, then wrap the mag in some sandpaper and sand out the inside of the grip. 320 paper is enough to take out some material but not too fast, it leaves the inside of the grip smooth and won't snag the glass in the grip.

Do you have a separate mag-well. If so it may be pushing the new grip inwards. Try removing te mag well and see if the mags all drop cleanly.

If they do then you just need to remove a little material from the base of the grip where it contacts the mag well so that the well does not push the sides (or front/back) of the grip.

I changed my grip to the Grey from black. my 140mm and 126mm 9mm sv mags would drop

but when i put the 170mm it would bind and wont drop?

anyone else had this problem? any tips would really apreciated.

I had the same issues when i changed to a sand textured grip. I sanded the high spots off the mags slicked up the insided of the grip , measured and viced the mag. Same problem still. I then found the the mag release button needed to have a small file and sand paper put to it. fixed!! I found out the problem by trying the mags with the release button removed and they freely droped without any grip binding. old john

Edited by old john

Take a black marks-a-lot and paint the mag body with it.

Insert the mag and pull it out several times and look for

the shinny spot. then look in the grip at that location for anything

that might be rubbing. If there is nothing in the grip then its time for

the vise. Carb cleaner will remove all the marks-a-lot.