Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

West Point 3 Gun

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to give everyone an update on the local weather, I got a few more inches of the white stuff yesterday. I live about 30 minutes from West Point. Doesn't look good.

Adam

I just wrote an Email to Gary Salman, suggesting the Combat Weapons Team, break out the flamethrowers and clear us a shooting path. ;)

I feel for those who are coming from out-of-town. As the Thursday deadline for a go or no-go is very short notice.

regards,

Luis Leon

The latest news is no news with a decision promised by Thursday @1400 hrs. There was a very late notice of a requirement for a sling. Wish I had 50 V-Tacs in stock (I'm not in the business). I cleaned my rifle today, checked my shotgun and noticed the front sight is falling off, fixed that. Shot skeet today. I'm ready. Bill L

Got this from Norman - He spoke to match officals today/last night:

They will be notifying competitors some time late today vs. Thursday as to whether or not the match is on. Hopefully, this will save some guys from starting the trip w/o knowing if the match is a go or not.

Here it is.....

Dear Shooter,

I am really sorry to inform you that due to the poor range conditions West Point has decided to cancel the match. We tried everything conceivable, including shoveling, to make the conditions acceptable for this match. We are rescheduling for the Fall and will send out an email with the dates.

If you are interested in joining us for some rifle, pistol and shotgun training on Saturday, please let me know. If you have already emailed me, I have you on the list. The fee is $125 for the day. I will send out more details on the training tomorrow morning.

Thanks again and we hope to see you in the Fall.

Sincerely,

Gary Salman

Edited by Ledge

I'm sorry to hear the match is cancelled, but it is my belief that The West Point CWT and match staff tried very hard to make it happen for us. It's not like they don't have other things going on, like school and training and what ever else Cadets do during the school year.

I also don't think many gun clubs would have done what West Point has done over the last few days to keep the hope of a match going (clearing the range with Bobcats and hand shoveling.)

For those who booked hotels or flights maybe you could change plans, bring your wife and visit the Big Apple?

Old Bridge NJ will be running a handgun match on Sunday, I think it will be some kind of special match, but don't quote me on that. See www.obcats.com

I just wanted to say thank you to the CWT, Gary and who ever else was involved, Thank you

George Post

Ok, I got an email that says snow is not the issue, but the the ice underneath it. Their concerned for shooter safety if they can't eliminate the ice.

I can't fault anybody that makes a decision however hard to protect us from serious injury.

Pray for sunshine in New York!!!!!!

The match is a "NO GO". :angry::angry:

Got the email a few hours ago.

They will be having the classes (how can they do that if the ranges are bad??) and are looking at rescheduling for October for the match.

Saved me 9 hours of driving..

Not only did an email go out, to let us know that the match was cancelled. The cadets are calling the registered competitors to make sure we know. The first words were apologies for the late call. Thc cadets at West Point deserve our support, this isn't just a club match. These young gentlemen and ladies are our future as a nation.

Yes, I'm going to attend the match in the fall.

Dan, I couldn't agree more.

I was upset at first but when I found out their reason was our safety it made good sense. I loved the upate email we got from them mid-week. "We are doing everything short of a nuclear strike to get rid of the ice" I am planning on shooting the multi-gun nationals in October, so I can't make it to shoot West Point in October, but your right they worked hard to try an make a go of this match and they deserve out support. If can can come up with the extra cash I'll be there.

The follow-up phone calls was a very thoughtful gesture from a fine group of ladies and gentlemen.

Edited by ap3

There was a very late notice of a requirement for a sling.
Can anyone point me to this ruling. I checked the website and didn't see it. Is it only for rifle?

Thanks,

This came through March 21st.

Dear Shooter,

Some of you have asked about ammo and the machine gun shoot. If you can not bring ammo, we will be happy to refund your money for the machine gun shoot. Also, there are a few transition stages. Which means you will need a sling for your rifle. I will have another update for you this evening.

Thanks!

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
New information was sent out today about the match in Oct.

I guess the Army can't read and comprehend to well. I request that they keep my money and reschedule me for the fall.

My name is not on any list.

I originally was set up to be squadded with 2 other guys. One of them wants to shoot again in the fall, the other wanted a refund, like myself. I kept getting all of the emails about training, and got squadded for training, even though I asked for a refund. None of my emails have been responded to. The three of us sent in 1 check for the full amount. I guess they just get to keep our match fees. I'm real impressed.

I hope their match in October doesn't conflict with Nationals...I would love to go to West Point to shoot a match

Cheryl :)

Cheryl,

It's going to be October 13th and 14th. I seem to remember Rod saying that Barry, Illinois was as far east as he wanted to go. But, that was a long time ago.

Dan

Since then we have driven to Ft Benning, Ga and St Cloud, Minn....I guess we can drive another how many hours? :)

I'm guessing at least 12 hours past the Fort Benning drive. That is only a guess, since I don't know where in Georgia Fort Benning is located. Try a quick route on AAAmaps.com, that will give you an idea.