Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guidance On A New Reloaders Shopping List?

bp78

-- Brian Enos ---

Dillon 550b press

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.ez.550crbasic.html

+ Strong Mount

+ Primer Pickup Tubes: 4-Pack

+ 1" Bench Wrench& 5, 1" Lock Rings

+ 550 Spare Parts Kit

+ 550 Machine Cover

Total: $ 484.70

-- MidwayUSA ---

Lyman Carbide Dies

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=143461

Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=587176

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 9mm (355 Diameter) 124 Grain Plated Flat Point

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=711972

RCBS Model 505 Magnetic

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=758842

Hornady One Shot Case Lube 5.5 oz Aerosol

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=438512

Loadbooks USA "9mm Luger" Reloading Manual

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=185458

Lyman "Pistol and Revolver: Reloading Handbook: Third Edition" Book

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=277752

Total: $137

-- Other Sources ---

* 9mm Brass -- ebay/forums

* 147gr bullets from Precision/Masterblaster

* Digital Calipers from Harbor Freight $14

* Unique Powder

* Winchester small primers

* Walnut Media from PetSmart

I'm just about ready to slap plastic and get started reloading. I was hoping that some of the more experienced reloaders here could offer some final advice on the selections I've made. Or point out any other items I need to add to this list.

I think the 550 is right for me as it's quicker and cheaper to switch calibers on. I only hesitate on the concerns of it being a manual progressive and the risks of a squib.

I mostly shoot 9mm in IDPA and will reload it initially. I'll probably add .45acp soon after, and perhaps .223 down the road. I only have a small bench in the garage that I also have to share for cleaning. Hence I'm looking for a single press that I can change easily enough and getting the cover to be extra careful about not mixing solevants & cleaners with anything reloading related.

I'm looking at getting the Lyman (or Hornady, Lee) 3-set carbide dies since they're a good bit cheaper than the dillon dies. (1/2)

Any suggestions on the scale choice? I don't want anything too cheap that I might regret.

Thanks.

barry

I shoot and load 9mm.... Although my Lee (duck the flying tomatoes) set up cost about 1/3 the cost of your press....

Dont over look Berry's for Bullets... Their plated 125 & 147 grn are very good, and as best as I can tell, their prices are the best...

for 147grn lead and plated, 231 works great! They took my S&W 915 from paterning like a shotgun w/ WWB to being damn accurate @ 25

yrds...

The Frankfort arsenal tumbler is GREAT! if you dont have more than about 250 9mm cases to clean at a time... I load mine up, get it going, and leave in the garage for 4-5 hours... Fairly quiet too....I too use the walnut media from petco.... they just changed brands, and you get twice as much for the same price...

I hate to admit it (more flying tomatoes) but I use the $14 digi calipers from Harbor freight... They work fine... and as best as I can tell, they are the same calipers from frankfort arsenal and other places... harbor freight just dosent have much of a markup and has more volume...

Billy

Edited by devildogmech

I would suggest the following:

Lee (Undersize) Resizing Die (if available from EGW)

Redding Micrometer Competition Seating Die

Lee Factory Crimp Die

For just a little more money you can get a digital powder scale. If the Dillon electronic scale is more than you want to pay check Natchez or Midway. I would also upgrade the case tumbler to a larger one. The one pictured won't hold very much brass especially if you start to load .223. It is better to spend a little more starting out so you don't have to replace something later. I use an old towel or pillow case to cover my reloaders. There is a ton of info on the internet for laods for the 9mm, 45 ACP and .223. The powder companies also have reloading info.

Hope this helps,

Everything looks good, but if you are loading 9x19 I would be cautious starting out and using plated bullets. They are iffy on accuracy, some guns like them, most dont. If you are going to shoot lead bullets, which shoot really well in 9x19, I would pony up and buy the Dillon dies. The bullet seater stem has a drop out feature where you can drop the seating stem down, clean out any gunk, and pop it back in, and your OAL wont change at all. If you load or will load lead that is the way to go.

Titegroup and W 231 are accuracy favorites in 9x19, with me leaning towards W 231. You will have better accuracy with the plated bullets as well as it is a touch bit slower that TG. Another necessary item will be a case gauge. Go slow and use it often!

Good luck, and get a chrono next!

DougC

+ 1 on both Frankfort arsenal tumblers and the inexpensive calipers from Harbor Freight.

Though Jaxshooter makes a good point- I thought the small tumbler would be all I ever needed. I was wrong. Its too small. Works great, mind you, but the cheap one is too small for my shooting/reloading habits.

I'd get a media/case separator and something to store your loaded ammunition in. I started off using the Frankford and Dillon ammo boxes, recently I've switched to some cheap plastic storage containers I get from the Dollar Store. They hold about 200 and cost about .30 each.

As '45dv8 suggests, that vibra-prime unit is a huge time-saver. I loaded for almost two years w/out one, and can't believe how much nicer this cheap tool makes the process.

I've got an old 505 scale I picked up on eBay for cheap, and notice I have to be careful to always check zero....In retrospect, I wish I'd bought a cheap digital scale. The 505 is precise, but a bit slow and tweaky.

I don't see a media sifter of some sort on your list. You're going to want some way to seperate the tumbled brass from the media. As KMCA points out, a good idea to pick up some ammo storage cases. I like plastic boxes that hold individual cartridges nose down, so you can easily check for raised primers (something you'll enounter as you start).

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go with a digital scale, someone suggested this Lyman digital scale and it seems to get more solid reviews than the cheaper Frankford Arsenal one. (although my c&r price on it is $10 higher than retail for some reason)

Suggestions on dies have been hard to follow, everytime someone tells me the dillon dies are over-priced and not as good someone else tells me to stick with the dillon ones. I don't mind the extra $30 if the Dillon dies are worth it. I'll go read some more on dies.

Seems that Unique is a pretty safe powder to start with to handle 9mm, .45acp, and .38spl

I plan to try small quantities of the plated rounds as well as Berrys and Precision to see what my pistol & I like.

I'll add one of the Vibra-Prime tools to my list. I already have plastic cartridge cases for 500rds of loaded 9mm as well as some akro bins to work from.

You might want to check out the warranty of the digital scales. Most have a 1 year replacement. My RCBS died last year at the same time as a show was in town. I went there expecting to buy another one, but talked to the RCBS rep and he said to just send it in...they are now warrantying their units for lifetime :D

Sounds like a good start. You will always find those that prefer X over Y. The big thing is start pulling that lever. After a few thousand rounds you will figure out real quick what else you "need". You'll also be able to dump those worthless dies on Ebay to fund new Dillon dies later. Then you'll wrestle with the idea of getting a casefeeder or selling the whole setup to get the 650. I use my Lyman scale for precision and my RCBS for quick.

Start pulling and Good Luck!

Edited by Hoofy

Thanks for all the advice. My orders were placed last night. A bit more expensive in the end than I initially thought but it'll be nice to have more choices in my loads even if it takes me years to recoup the costs. Picked up small quantities of several bullet types to see what works best for pistol. Some of my choices were influenced by what Midway had in stock, they seem to be sold out of a lot of stuff right now.

Just need to find a local source for powder & primers and I'm all set.

Including order snippets in case any new reloader finds it useful down the road.

Dillon RL 550B in 38 Super/9mm @ $ 379.95

550B - As it should BE - Upgrade @ $ 129.49

4-Pack - 2 Small & 2 Large Primer Pickup Tubes @ $17.95

550B Spare Parts Kit @ $ 14.95

One in. Bench Wrench w/Five 1 in. Lock Rings @ $7.95

Dillon 9mm Carbide 3-Die Set @ $57.95

Total: $ 608.24

185458 Loadbooks USA "9mm Luger" Reloading Manual $5.49

204960 Frankford Arsenal Case Lube 8 oz Pump $5.99

377852 Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 9mm (355 Diameter) 147 Grain Plated Round Nose Flat Point Box of 100 $8.39

384876 Frankford Arsenal Plastic Utility Box UB-36 Blue 4 $3.56

414369 Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator 110 Volt $49.99

423689 Frankford Arsenal Plastic Ammo Box 100-Round Flip-Top 1001 30 Luger, 380 ACP, 9mm Luger, 9mm Makarov Blue 5 $9.95

432193 Frankford Arsenal Plastic Utility Box UB-10 Blue 4 $2.76

526034 Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 9mm (355 Diameter) 124 Grain Plated Hollow Point Box of 500 $33.49

656090 Frankford Arsenal Vibra-Prime Automatic Primer Tube Filler $28.99

711972 Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 9mm (355 Diameter) 124 Grain Plated Flat Point Box of 100 2 $15.18

713372 Frankford Arsenal Micro Reloading Electronic Scale $29.99

9mm Brass 1000 Count Free Shipping $24.95

9mm 147 Gr. TC Polymer Bullets

9mm 147g TC 250 Ct $19.95

9mm 122 Gr. CCRN Polymer Bullets

9mm 122g CCRN 250 Ct $18.95

9mm 125 Gr. RN Polymer Bullets

9mm 125g RN 250 Ct $19.95

Total $83.80

Edited by bp78

A 1 gallon zip lock bag is great (and quick) for lubing your brass before loading. Just throw a 100 or 200 pieces of brass in the zip lock, spray in a couple shots of One-Shot, zip shut, shake a couple times and presto - brass is ready for the loader. You won't be disappointed getting the Vibra-Prime. It's a real time saver.

• 3 months later...
A 1 gallon zip lock bag is great (and quick) for lubing your brass before loading. Just throw a 100 or 200 pieces of brass in the zip lock, spray in a couple shots of One-Shot, zip shut, shake a couple times and presto - brass is ready for the loader.

Will he really need to lube 9mm brass if he's running carb dies? I'm still learning myself, but I was told I would not need to.

Will he really need to lube 9mm brass if he's running carb dies? I'm still learning myself, but I was told I would not need to.

I'm through about 3000 loaded 9mm rounds now and haven't lubed any of them. The carbide dies work fine.