Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suspected Red Loctite'd Sights

ihatepickles

I have some sights on a Glock that I don't know the installation history. I had the slide in a padded vise and the Heinie rear sight didn't budge with a couple of sharp raps from a 16 oz hammer driving a soft punch (I backed out the set screw). I fired up a 25 watt soldering iron and used it to heat up the sight but again the sight didn't move.

The front sight has red Loctite visible, I'm assuming it was used on the front and rear sights. I don't have much hope for salvaging the front sight with the delicate screw, but the rear sight should pop out without damage with the right application of heat.

I have a propane torch and also a MAP gas torch. I don't understand the effects of working with a torch on hardened slides. If anyone can help me solve this problem, I'd appreciate the advice.

When I put my first Heinie sight on my Glock...it didn't seem to want to go on.

I called Richard Heinie...he said I needed to put a little change in my purse (or words to that effect). I was using a 4lb. hammer...and moving my bench around the basement.

So, before going to the heat...try a bigger hammer and put the beat on it. It should come out left-to-right, as seen from the back of the slide. Make sure your "soft punch" isn't so soft that it is eating up your force.

If it does have red Loctite on it, then somebody else will have to weigh in with advise on putting heat to it. (you might dig something up with a good search...I know we've talked about that before)

(I do have a couple of cheap "pencil" style torches that put out a tight flame pattern. Got them at Harbor Freight for a few dollars.)

I don't know the heat limits of a Glock slide, but if propane and MAP are going to be too hot and you need something cooler, a butane torch (cheap and readily available) might be the ticket. You can get them that put out a very small flame and are often used to head the head on golf clubs with graphite shafts...they heat the Ti enough, but don't hurt the graphite.

Edited by G-ManBart

Wow, I've never hit a gun with a 4 pound hammer before... I'll give it another go tonight while chanting "Flex said so, Flex said so". My punch is a steel punch with a .22 case slipped over the shank to protect the finish.

Any info on the basics of using heat with hardened steel?

Get one of those Creme Brulee torches for $10 at Harbor Freight and heat the sight only. It won't put that much heat into the slide. Then put some Kroil around the dovetail. This will release the loctite. To release the sight, you may need to reverse the process and keep the sight cool with an ice cube while you heat the slide up a bit with the torch. Then drive out the sight.

Unless you have a wooden or rubber jaw vice, a bigger hammer isn't the answer.

Hello: Use mans best cooking item. The toaster oven! Set it for 200 degrees and give it a go. I use the toaster oven to heat up gears,bearing and sleeves so I can press them on. If you need a little more heat dial it up. You have to be careful with torches so you don't draw back the metal and make it soft. Another trick is to put the slide in the freezer in a plastic bag then try to knock the sight off. The freezer takes a couple of hours or 6 beers which ever comes first. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

I have had success using a heat gun set on high. Might take a little longer to heat but don't have much worry of applying too much. Sounds like yours might be a little tougher but if you have a heat gun, give it a try. I like the toaster oven idea - might just have to go out and buy a dedicated one for the shop. Amazing what you learn on this forum.

I'd be careful with the heat idea. try a .375" (3/8) brass punch with a rather heavy hammer and knock the hell out of it. once it moves, that's all it will take. My Heinies were tight on all of my glocks. the mark left on the sight will easily wipe off so long as you use a brass punch. Your steel one with a .22 hullmay or may not work. the steel may pierce the case and mark the sight or slide if you slip.

Acetone. Generally found in your wifes medicine cabinet strangely labled fingernailpolish remover.... soak it in that over night

I was going to suggest that or something similar. If it doesn't dissolve in acetone, you may need to resort to other organic solvents. EDTA, MEK, Methanol, Ether, and a few others come to mind. I'm not sure which will work, but its something to try.

Chris