Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips Needed For Production

galt11

I am currently switching from shooting single action guns to a Sig 226 DA/SA production gun. I am having a little trouble adjusting to the double action trigger pull. It is very smooth, just different. Can anyone recommend any tips, tricks, or things to do to get a little more comfortable and better? I am doing a lot of dry fire and just sitting in bed pulling the trigger, but it still seems to bother me. Thanks for any advise.

Adam

It sounds obvious but..shoot the crud out of it. Something like 1000 rounds at targets set at 15 to 50 feet will get you pretty comfortable with a new trigger.

Jim

Edited by JimmyM

Adam - When you get to the range, spend the whole first session shooting two rounds - DA, SA, de-cock, repeat. Take your time, watch what your sights do, and experiment with finger placement. It takes some getting used to.

I'm a long time 1911 and revolver shooter. I bought a Beretta 92 a couple of years back and am just now getting used to the DA/SA transition. I've been shooting mostly revolver, so it shouldn't take as long for you if you concentrate on the one gun.

what i did..and do from time to time in practice..

set a target out at 10 yards with a 1" piece of black tape..

on the timer..I draw and shoot two..making sure the sight picture is perfect..shots must be on the tape..after about one or two mags..you will find your shots touching..

when I first started doing this..a buddy and i shot for lunch..and we would do this for about a half hour..shots had to be on the tape.. and the one that did it fastest and most often..won...

now I do it on occasion..also SHO and WHO...helps me work on sight picture..

I honestly don't think shooting that second shot single action is really worth burning a lot of ammo to begin with. It comes pretty naturally.

I like to combine the first shot witht he draw stroke.. as soon as my gun starts it's presentation ( from center of body out to target) I start prepping the trigger. Concentrate on a long smooth roll . Depenging on your front sight put a penny on it and practice until your arm hurts. if sight is too small put it on the slide and don't let it move. this will build emense muscle control in that finger the stronger the muscle and more used to isolating that finger you are the less of the gun will move.

I love double action guns. welcome to the "odd" side :)

With the grips off, is the hammer spring held inside a plastic holder? If so, good, that's the newer style and smoother in my experience than the old style (no plastic). It also takes less pressure to start the DA pull with the newer hammer spring setup. If you have an older 226, it's well worth the upgrade and not hard to change. PM if you need help finding the parts.

Practice is the key to a steady DA first shot. I use the tip of my finger on the trigger and that seems to help not pull the sights to one side or the other.

The problem I fight is laying my thumb on the slide stop then running the pistol dry.

The gun was made in 2003 if my understanding of the Sig codes is correct. I believe it is the newer system.

I am doing the same thing with my thumb, laying it on the slide stop, just like I would with a 1911. My gun come stock with the extended controls so this just adds to the temptation.

Adam

I am doing a lot of dry fire and just sitting in bed pulling the trigger, but it still seems to bother me.

You are missing out on what can truely be gained through dryfire galt11. Strap on your gear and dryfire in your shooting position. I HIGHLY recommend Steve Anderson's book for dryfiring. The more you practice, the more familiar you will become with your gun and it's trigger.

Link to Steve's book!

Micha.. adidas ... awesome!

Just laying there putlling the trigger doesn't help that much. better trigger finger strength maybe. but sights must be aligned. I feel getting the timing of the prep in the presentation so the shot brakes just as soon as you hit the position is the biggest importance in a fast DA draw and first shot. you look silly with your gun out and hammer still coming back... and you miss if your sights aren't there and a you hear a loud noise.

Doing the trigger pull while laying in bed was just to get the feel for a DA trigger. I agree with everything you said though about needing to do it while aligning the sights. I just figured it was better than nothing on the days I couldn't dryfire for real.

Adam

Adam, I can appreciate your desire to better your shooting. You stated that you had days when you couldn't dryfire "for real"...what constraints do you have that prevent you from dryfiring on a target? At it's most basic element, forget the holster if need be and practice on light switches and door knobs!

Adam, I can appreciate your desire to better your shooting. You stated that you had days when you couldn't dryfire "for real"...what constraints do you have that prevent you from dryfiring on a target? At it's most basic element, forget the holster if need be and practice on light switches and door knobs!

I meant that some nights when I get home I am so tired I eat and just go to be and watch a little tv to calm down. That is when I would lay in bed and dry fire as opposed to when as you suggested, dry fire at a target or something else. It was meant to just get used to the new feel of the DA pull and make it a little less alien to me.

Adam