Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turning The Head With The Eyes

shadetree

I was sitting in my truck at lunch time the other day when I noticed something interesting.

When I turned my head to look at some thing It took what seemed to be a lot of time to refocus and see what I was looking at.

If I moved my eyes and let my head follow. I was imediatly focused on what I was looking at. :blink:

I'm going to have to do some experimenting next time I shoo steel.

Try it with dry fire ... turn your whole head, you'll find that the gun tags along and usually goes past the desired target. Move your eyes first, then the head & the gun, you'll be right on much more quickly. Takes practice, but eventually this seems 'right'.

Matt Burkett's book has some eyes-to-target transition exercises for practice. His online dry fire exercises are good for that too.

If I moved my eyes and let my head follow. I was imediatly focused on what I was looking at.

One exercises I have set up at work helps this a lot...

I took two of the 1/3 sized IPSC targets and taped them in the top left and right hand corners of my 19' computer monitor at work.

I start the exercise by looking directly at the A zone of one of the targets and then let my eyes move to the A zone on the opposite target then I turn my head so I’m pointing at the target I'm looking at. I do this 9 to ten times so that I'm always letting the eyes drive the movement and set the path of transition.

Randomly throughout the month I will move the targets up and down there respective side of the monitor and for giggles I have thrown as many as six up so I'm moving to different targets in no specific order.

I went in for some inner-ear tests this afternoon and one of the devices they used is a really cool eye-tracking thing-- it's a 5' long bar with an array of led's along it that they can program to be a dot moving around or appearing randomly or whatever. In this case, you sit a few feet from it, they slap electrodes on your head and monitor your eye movements on the computer (you can't move your head), but I immediately wanted one to exercise eye speed.

They can keep all the nausea-inducing machines...

Any ENT's know what it's offically called?

Imagine you're wearing a neck brace that doesn't allow any head movement at all. Now find and shoot targets.

be

Thanks brian.

I was thinking that my neck shoulders and arms were locked directly too my eyes. so every time they eyes move boom the gun is right there. :P

• 1 month later...

I've been taking private dance instruction now for some months, and the "physics" side of me has become very interested in the mechanics of body movement... especially as to the application to our game. It is my opinion that many of the principles of dance movement transfer well to movement in our game.... whether it be target transition or movement from position to position.

In dance, the concept of fixing your eyes on the place you want your body to index on is called "spotting". Not only does it allow you to complete the movement faster, it is absolutely essential for maintaining balance/precision. Since you are moving, you are disturbing the fluid in the semi-circular canals, and moving the ball(s) of the feet. As such, the only remaining balance tool you have functioning during movement is the focus of the eye. With the eyes sharply focused on a stationary spot, you have a point of reference for balance.

In a turn/spin, the eyes spot, then the head leads the rest of the body in a torquing motion. In our game, since the desirable goal is to keep the sighting relationship constant during transition, the head/shoulders/arms should usually turn as a unit to lock on at the next "spot".

However, I suspect that in a situation like the turn and draw of the El Prez or other up-range start, a classic spot-n-spin technique could cut some serious time off the first shot. (e.g. the eyes lead the head, the head seeks/locks with the eyes to spot the first POI, and the shoulders and body follow in a classic spin (or pivot)). As soon as the body settles, you break the shot...

I've got a couple of other observations on balance and movement that I think are interesting, but I think I'll put them in a separate thread to see what y'all think about them.

• 6 months later...

During my dryfire practice (15-20minutes/day) I have been working on moving the eyes to the target first. This technique feels good as the gun seems to lock on the target. My problem is I don't feel like I am transfering this to actual shooting situations as of yet. Will this eventually start to happen? Or does it gradually become a subconcience thing?

I've been taking private dance instruction now for some months, and the "physics" side of me has become very interested in the mechanics of body movement... especially as to the application to our game. It is my opinion that many of the principles of dance movement transfer well to movement in our game.... whether it be target transition or movement from position to position.

In dance, the concept of fixing your eyes on the place you want your body to index on is called "spotting". Not only does it allow you to complete the movement faster, it is absolutely essential for maintaining balance/precision. Since you are moving, you are disturbing the fluid in the semi-circular canals, and moving the ball(s) of the feet. As such, the only remaining balance tool you have functioning during movement is the focus of the eye. With the eyes sharply focused on a stationary spot, you have a point of reference for balance.

In a turn/spin, the eyes spot, then the head leads the rest of the body in a torquing motion. In our game, since the desirable goal is to keep the sighting relationship constant during transition, the head/shoulders/arms should usually turn as a unit to lock on at the next "spot".

However, I suspect that in a situation like the turn and draw of the El Prez or other up-range start, a classic spot-n-spin technique could cut some serious time off the first shot. (e.g. the eyes lead the head, the head seeks/locks with the eyes to spot the first POI, and the shoulders and body follow in a classic spin (or pivot)). As soon as the body settles, you break the shot...

I've got a couple of other observations on balance and movement that I think are interesting, but I think I'll put them in a separate thread to see what y'all think about them.

Regards the turn and draw, You are on the money. This is pretty much the way Voigt taught us to do it. It works.

http://www.uspsa.org/gmTips/tip06.html

During my dryfire practice (15-20minutes/day) I have been working on moving the eyes to the target first. This technique feels good as the gun seems to lock on the target. My problem is I don't feel like I am transfering this to actual shooting situations as of yet. Will this eventually start to happen? Or does it gradually become a subconcience thing?

It takes a while (repetitions) to break old habits and replace them with new ones.

It needs to be worked in live fire as well. (Be mindful of the trap of flipping a switch when it comes to live fire, and treating it different from your dry fire.)

It takes a while (repetitions) to break old habits and replace them with new ones.

It needs to be worked in live fire as well. (Be mindful of the trap of flipping a switch when it comes to live fire, and treating it different from your dry fire.)

Thanks, just didn't want to be wasting my time. Quite inciteful on the live fire part too...............Yes, definately guilty :bow: