Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moonclip Holders For Idpa And Icore For 646.

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I am looking for the best moonclip holder for IDPA and ICORE for a 646 40S&W. I would also like to know how many to buy? Also where to buy them. I was thinking 6. Let me know soon so I can get them coming, I have a all steel match that I may shoot the revolver in as well as my STI 2011. Thanks Eric

go to moonclips.com

they have everything you need and are great people too.

Get 8 holders. 6 is a minimun but will work if you never miss....

Many shooters have 9 on their belt.

I purchase the moonclips from Ranch Products for ca $75 per 100. The same moonclip works for either the 646b or the 686 in 38 Super. I have used either the Blade Tec moonclip holders or the (name unknown) versions sold by Dillon. Moonclips.com has them on their website.

Hello: I ended up getting the moonclip holders from Dillon. I ordered 6 but maybe should of got more? I am going to order the moonclips once I receive the 646 to see if it takes the early or late style clips. I guess they are different thinknesses. Thanks Eric

Hello: I ended up getting the moonclip holders from Dillon. I ordered 6 but maybe should of got more? I am going to order the moonclips once I receive the 646 to see if it takes the early or late style clips. I guess they are different thinknesses. Thanks Eric

Which moon clips might depend on which brass you intend to use also, some 40's have thinner

(or thicker) rims. Brownells lists 2 moon clips for the 646, .035 thk and .042 thk, due to this

difference (or at least that's what they state anyway)

S&B 40 brass looked to have the thickest rims when I did some measuring, can't remember

who was the thinnest (Fed maybe :wacko: ) I think I posted that info here awhile ago.

Any way's, you might want to pick up a few of each thickness clips to see how they work and feel,

but be aware that the thicker ones could give you trouble as they get used and are not as flat as they

were when new.

Good luck, and yes, get a few more holders when you get a chance.

The Blade tech doubles can not be used for IDPA.

......which is another sad, stupid rule. If anything, I think the Blade-Tech doubles (properly adjusted) are actually more practical for concealed carry than for competition use.

Hello: I am looking for the best moonclip holder for IDPA and ICORE for a 646 40S&W. I would also like to know how many to buy? Also where to buy them. I was thinking 6. Let me know soon so I can get them coming, I have a all steel match that I may shoot the revolver in as well as my STI 2011. Thanks Eric

Speed-E-Rack deserves consideration. Try the address below for info and videos:

http://www.speed-e-rack.com

No good for IDPA

No good for IDPA

Oops!

You can improvise and make your own holders for IDPA. I'm getting back into ESR and I plan to modify my California Competition Works holders for my 625. I'm going to either stick a piece of dowel down into the plastic part or remove the plastic altogether and go from there, whichever is faster. As long as there's some kind of post that sticks up, you'll be fine.

The rules are getting silly. My 625 is my steady concealed carry gun and I use the unaltered CCW holders. They work fine for concealed carry and the moonclips never fall out, but nobody wants to hear that.

Also, my old Blade-Tech holster is now illegal because you can see light through the belt tunnel. Not to worry! I took out the screws and re-fastened them without securing the backplate. Now I have an even more secure paddle holster with NO light coming through. You really don't have to spend more money on new equipment to accommodate the new rules!

Dave Sinko

You can improvise and make your own holders for IDPA. I'm getting back into ESR and I plan to modify my California Competition Works holders for my 625. I'm going to either stick a piece of dowel down into the plastic part or remove the plastic altogether and go from there, whichever is faster. As long as there's some kind of post that sticks up, you'll be fine.

The rules are getting silly. My 625 is my steady concealed carry gun and I use the unaltered CCW holders. They work fine for concealed carry and the moonclips never fall out, but nobody wants to hear that.

Also, my old Blade-Tech holster is now illegal because you can see light through the belt tunnel. Not to worry! I took out the screws and re-fastened them without securing the backplate. Now I have an even more secure paddle holster with NO light coming through. You really don't have to spend more money on new equipment to accommodate the new rules!

Dave Sinko

David,

A short piece of 1/4OD soft vinyl tubing down the center of the Cal Comp plastic part works real well. Leave a 1/4" showing and you have a legal holder.

Regards,

Gary

You can only have 2 in front of the holster, and 1 behind center line of either side in IDPA. I use the Bladetech doubles (4) for IPSC

I wish I had a pic but I dont. I can post one in about 2 weeks when I go home on leave. I use leather holders made by Backwoods leather in Portsmouth Virginia, Its a great design for IDPA, Not specifically mentioned but have never had an issue with it. The bullets face in primers straight out. It is a double pouch with tubing tension adjustments. a finger sized slot in each pouch. Bullets are covered by leather except at top which is open. To reload middle finger grabs clip which ends up in center of moonclip push it into cylinder. It works really well and am surprised the design isnt anywhere else. I think it's because moonclip holders are designed for longer .45 Acp and then modified or scaled to fit .40

Question

Are Speed-E-Racks acceptable in USPSA matches?

Mell

So far yes, you might want to check the proposed rules as to how far the reload can

sit away from the belt/body. I think SPEED-E-Rack is still okay but best to ask the man that

makes it.

Question

Are Speed-E-Racks acceptable in USPSA matches?

Mell

They're just fine. No restrictions on ammo carriers in USPSA Revo.

I had to go re-check since I thought I saw a change here,

The proposed 2008 shows a max of 1 inch between "mag" and "inner side of belt",

2004 Green book was 50mm (approx. 2")

Now I've never seen a Speed-E-Rack so I have no idea if they comply with the proposed rules.

I thought I saw a pic in a mag of sombody wearing some different moon clip holders that

stuck out very far from the belt (could have been an IPSC shooter) and thought with my

spare tire those might work pretty good :P That's why the change stuck in my brain.

Don't know about the Ranch Product 610 moonclips however their 646 moonclips work in both my 646 and my 686 in 38 Super. I use Winchester brass on 40 S&W and Remington brass in 38 Super.

<snip>The same moonclip works for either the 646b or the 686 in 38 Super. <snip>

Um.....you sure about that :unsure:

Supers are really loose in my 610 clips (don't ask :wacko: , it was ugly)

Edited by TonyT