Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Ordered My Sti Edge, Now What?

glockadict

I ordered a Super Tuned STI Edge from Dawson Precision. I ordered 4 extra magazines, 5 Dawson +1 basepads, and 5 grams followers and springs. What else do I need? I was thinking a tungsten guide rod, 12.5 spring, and an oversized mag release. What do you guys think?

I think the Dawson Edge comes with an oversize mag button. Or is it the Brazos? Don't remember. Anyway, forget about the tungsten guiderod, the pistol has all the weight you need on the dustcover and bullbarrel. If you want to do something with the recoil system, try the STI Recoil Master. A 12.5 lb recoil spring may be too light for a brand new and very tight pistola. Use the factory supplied spring for a while and then replace it for a 14lb.

Congrats on your awesome new machine!

I would discourage the use of an extended mag release. Unless you have really small hands, you may have more trouble than benefit. Plus table starts may bump it and cause troubles. The tuned edge doesn't come with one. At least mine didn't.

I would agree that the tungston is not necessary. I transferred from a glock 35 to the edge and felt it is heavy enough!

I opted to go with the Dawson toolless guide rod. I replaced the recoil master due to hearing of problems with them, plus I like the toolless feature. The recoil master comes with a 12.5 spring I believe and is standard with the edge, or at least it came with mine.

The standard recoil spring weight, according to the STI website, is 14#. I am trying out a 13 and 12 lbs springs just to see. But the 14# that I have been using seems to balance well with the overall package.

Congrats on the upgrade and good luck, you'll love it. :)

What you have:

Don't worry about a tungsten guide rod. Completely unnecessary. If you want an oversized release, go with the Brazos cyclone. It's perfect and doesn't contact a table when flat (at least it hasn't for me).

Run a 14# spring (or whatever Dawson put in there) for a bit and find what you like after you get a load developed and some rounds through it.

What you need:

Holster, mag pouches, belt....oh and AMMO! Go out and shoot that thing. Practice, practice, practice.

Rich

What you need:

Holster, mag pouches, belt....oh and AMMO! Go out and shoot that thing. Practice, practice, practice.

Rich

+1

Switching from the Glock to an STI will be weird enough since they point differently and have vastly different triggers. AFTER you have shot thousands of rounds down range you will probably just KNOW what you want to make the whole thing work better for YOU.

-ld

What dustcover does it have? I would use a tungsten with a short dustcover but not a long one. I'd bet you got the long one. I would get the oversize mag release depending on your ability to reach the release. Dave has several to include high profile or low profile which wouldn't interfere with laying it down. I need something more than a plain release as my thumbs are short. Speaking of thumbs, have you learned to ride the thumb safety on a 1911 pattern gun yet? Riding the safety will insure you don't inadvertantly reapply the safety during firing and help with recoil control since the lever offers an easy place to push down during recoil.

One of our local Glock crossovers got a Brazos Cutom LTD gun. He has short thumbs and can't ride the safety so he made it smaller so that when he obtains the gun from a draw or ? he swipes it off and holds lower like a Glock without accidently hitting the safety upwards.

Get a bunch of ammo and learn how you best work the gun!

I ordered a Super Tuned STI Edge from Dawson Precision. I ordered 4 extra magazines, 5 Dawson +1 basepads, and 5 grams followers and springs. What else do I need? I was thinking a tungsten guide rod, 12.5 spring, and an oversized mag release. What do you guys think?

You may have ordered one too many +1 Dawson pads. The mag that comes with the gun is 126mm and the +1 pads won't fit on them. I bought the same basic package from Dawson a couple of months ago and have had great luck with it....very accurate and completely reliable. I got the oversized mag release from DP when I ordered it and it barely touches the table on a table start, but will NOT release the mag no matter how hard you hit it...can't depress it enough.

Congrats on the Edge. It is a fine blaster. As others have mentioned I would leave the gun as is for now util you get a few hundred rounds through it and have a better feel of it. I did end up putting a ext mag release on mine.

Spend the money on a good holster, mag pouches, belt and ammo.

On a side note, you may find your Edge needs a little break-in period before it functions 100%. And theres lots of threads here covering that. Never owned a Dawson tuned Edge so it may function great from day one.

Have fun and enjoy.

Zack

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help. I guess I will just shoot it for a month, and go from there. I have 2000 rounds loaded, and waiting. I hope it will be here this week. I think I will just order my CR Speed Holster, and get ready for gun games.

He does not need to change his screen name. The STI will be for sale in less than a year when he realizes he shot the Glock just as well. :P

We had a guy here that we said the same thing about. He put up his G35 for a Brazos Custom LTD gun. While he doesn't ride the safety like most do it HAS improved his game! He's on fire now!

Congrats on the new blaster! :)

I ordered a new STI, but didn't go with the extended mag release. I have little hands and have trouble hitting the mag release, but I agree with the guys on "wait till you shoot it before making too many upgrades." You can always upgrade later.

Edited by LittlePistol