Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mississippi Classic........level Iii

hopalong

Well for those of you who would like to attempt to earn a slot to the 2008 Revolver Nationals here is the perfect chance.

There were 17 last year with the Kansas match conflicting ( It is again this year) but maybe some of you would like a little taste of Southern fried hospitality......or not.

I really dislike trying to pull shooters away from other matches, but the Kansas match is a level II match and it wont matter if there are 100 in the division there will not be any slots to be won. (UNLESS they go level III this year).

You can come get a chance to see the All division GM shooting his wheelgun and showing just why he is an all gun GM. Plus the Mississippi Classic match director has stated in the past that he woud like to make the match the "One to shoot" for wheelgunners. Here is a guy trying to help out the division.

Had some real good stages last year, don't expect anything less myself.

Let me add:

DISCLAIMER:

I am NOT a member of the Mississippi section, I promote this match because of the great folks putting it on and the QUALITY of the match...........and I don't get a kickback from the MD either. <_< PLUS the chance of getting slots to the Nationals.......all you have to do is get 20 or more, and get in the top 3.

Also let me add:

Don't expect the locals to step aside without a fight either. ;)

Hope to see you there.

Hopalong

Edit to add:

Not only can I not spell, I have a vendetta that is 3 years coming so I'll be shooting Limited at this years MS Classic.

Edited by hopalong

I really dislike trying to pull shooters away from other matches, but the Kansas match is a level II match and it wont matter if there are 100 in the division there will not be any slots to be won.

I understand Sam isn't trying to harm the Sunflower Classic (the match, incidentally, where the "Big Three" convened in 2006 to sort things out), but let's keep in perspective that a Nationals slot is only worth $25 plus the convenience of not having to fool around with the waiting list. That's it.

I just don't want anybody to get the impression that to shoot the USPSA Revolver Nationals, you have to win a slot--because that most certainly is not the case. The wait list is easy and efficient, and as long as you get signed up right away when the wait list becomes available, you're in!

We're fortunate to have two great match options between the Sunflower in KS, and the MS Classic, but not quite so fortunate they happen to be scheduled on the same weekend again. Anyway, my advice: Don't sweat the "slot" thing too much--pick the match you want to shoot and have at it!!

I'll agree with Mike on the 25 bucks less for an earned slot is not much of a bargain. :(

What I am getting at is this...........

If there are two quality matches the same weekend, both with entry fees similar and drive time or air fare pretty much the same. for me a level III match with the little extra of the slot.....not the $25 bargain discount, but the not having to worry about getting on the wait list.

Take GRAND MASTER Walsh for example.

If he decides to go to Kansas...............Air fare, entry fees, Hotel, BEER, rental car, BEER.

Should he whip up on the mid westerners, he gets a trophy and bragging rights of whipping up on some midwesterners. ;)

If he decides to go to Mississippi..........Air fare, entry fees, Hotel, BEER, rental car, BEER.

Should he whip up on the southerners, he gets a trophy a check (not a years salary though), the chance to shoot with the ONLY all gun GM in USPSA.....and maybe Mr. Miculek too........HMMM that would be 3 of the 5 GMs at the same place...... the bragging rights of whippin up on some "good ole boys" a slot to the next years nationals and some Mad southern "good ole boys" who will take his beer from him and make him go into the DTs' :lol:

Having said all that, If it was me and I had to spend the same amount of $$$$ I most likely will attend the match where a chance at a slot is available. I have already seen several posters who mentioned they were hoping to get one from the wait list. I say take matters into your own hands, call up some of the other wheelgunners (or e-mail, or post here ect.) and get the 20 needed and get the top 3 to get the slots.

Yeah I'm rambling and running sentances together but I think maybe some of you can see where I'm trying to go with this.

and Mike, YES earned slots should be a bigger difference and mean something. Kind of like being the Points series champ...........All it got me was broke, and a silly clock on a plaque.

In Ending...........

How about shooting with Johnny, Haras, Bwana and the rest of the crew down in Mississippi.............Has been a great match for the 4 years I have shot it. :)

Hopalong

You missed a good one in Tontitown a few weeks back. Wish I could swing the time, money to hit Mississippi too. My hats off to the "JetSetters", those Revos who have the passion to hit multiple major matches around the country/globe. Maybe we ought to call them "MoonJetters"?

There are so many matches hitting early, and then late, this year. Multilple weekends with multiple major matches, what a great time. Watching Jerry & Johnny together would be great.

Good Luck on the Mississippi Classic.

Dave Williams

I understand Sam isn't trying to harm the Sunflower Classic (the match, incidentally, where the "Big Three" convened in 2006 to sort things out),

I know your not calling Dan and I fat????

Anyone want to whip up on Mike, remember there's a Major Revolver Only USPSA Match in Osceola, Iowa on September 30, 2007.

Mike didn't even win his own event last year. The Iceman cameth down from Minnesota and whupped up on all 36 of us. "A" Class Keith kicked 3 Master's posteriors that frosty fall morn.

Heck I haven't been able to beat any of the A Class Revo's at the Sunflower the last 2 years running.

I need to find a "B" Class whiz kid, help train him and set him loose on Dr. Dremel. Wait, the training part might do more harm than good.

Edited by pskys2

I figure that if Mike and the Coors sponsored shooter both shoot minor again, I may have a chance at slipping by them again sometime. :unsure:

I rarely do well at a match that I have run/RO'd so Mike gets big credit for doing as well as he did while running the match AND shooting minor.

Ok guys, let's not start a "Holy War" over who has the best match. Suffice to say that it is unfortunate that the Sunflower Classic and the Mississippi classic are both the same week-end. Perhaps in the future it can be arranged to have them on different dates. Until then, we all need to beat the bushes and turn out as many wheelgunners as possible for both the matches. That will do nothing but help us with making sure that we continue to get support from USPSA and everyone involved with the shooting sports.

Hi Guys,

Glad to see all the talk about the MS Classic, even if half the talk IS about other matches. :D

Unfortunately, we do have some conflicts with a couple other really good matches this year. I had the 2007 Classic on the USPSA calendar before the 2006 match even got started to avoid problems, but with so many clubs putting on so many good matches, overlaps are becoming inevitable. I wish everyone luck with their matches and encourage competitors to go wherever they think they will have the best time.

Also, I know it was all in fun but just wanted to set the record straight on Johnny Brister since he's a friend and I doubt he'll ever bother to "defend" himself on here. Johnny had been shooting a revolver seriously for only about three months last year when he shot the 2006 Classic and he was Master class at the time based largely on his GM rankings in everything else. I'm pretty sure it was his first big match w/ a revolver so taking 2nd wasn't too shabby. Making GM w/ a revolver five months later wasn't too shabby either.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now. Like I say, I know it was all in fun...just wanted to add some background that most probably didn't have.

John

Before Flex jumps in and thinks he has to MODERATE us. :blink: I would like to add a little here.

I don't care which match, who's match, whomever's match any one attends.......

As long as you attend !!!!!!! ;)

I was just offering up some info, and a little of my wharped perspecitive.

John pretty much covered it but let me add just a tid bit of more information on Mr. Brister.

As John stated, at the time of the MS match, he had been shooting revolver for only about 3 months (I gave him one of mine in March to get started until he found one). He had progressed in those 3 months with the skills it took me about 2 years to get. <_<

If you wonder about his wheelgunning skills just ask Cliff how bad he kicked our ass at the Tennessee match on the TX star stage.....and a couple of others. Had his wifes mother not had a heart attack that day, I say he and Cliff would have had a real tight match.

Enough about that, now get your asses out an attend a match!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopalong

You're right. It does depend on who took first. Like if he had been beaten by an old man or a kid or something then it wouldn't be as impressive. :P

Uh, you revolver guys don't need to click the link in John's post.....just move on....nothing to see here.....

Yup. Just keep on moving folks.

Edited by Keith

I "WISH" I could get JM, or Nils or TGO or any of a great number of good Revo shooters to attend any match. But we are making progress. But don't construe the last comment to infer that other Revo's are chopped liver. Though they have a nasty tendency to "Chop" me down to size regularly.

One of the things we will all be seeing more of as this Division grows is the good shooter who suddenly picks up a Revo and kicks a lot of butt. It is inevitable.

That Mississippi reeled in 2 GM's of such quality is fantastic. I'll still root for Hop to win though. Remember Hop, age and treacheroy is your friend. B)

Lets See the Mississippi Classic is May 19th, have they posted the entriy forms yet?

Good Luck to all and as Hop says, Let's get out there and "Attend"!

Edited by pskys2

Should he whip up on the southerners, he gets a trophy a check (not a years salary though), the chance to shoot with the ONLY all gun GM in USPSA.....and maybe Mr. Miculek too........HMMM that would be 3 of the 5 GMs at the same place......

You guys are right about there being soooo many matches early and late this year. All the MD's are paranoid about going up against nats, or being one of 20 matches in June, so we all went early or late to avoid conflicts. Jerry is registered for Targeting Education, as it is a World Shoot Qualifier...Not sure about Nils yet. I wish that we had more "southern matches" hosted during the doldrums of winter (Jan, Feb, Mar). They have the advantage of not having SNOW at that time of the year (most of the time, anyway). I'd like to see a major match MD page at USPSA where we could all get online and hash out these things well before the season starts. We have to decide our majors by November, as sponsors do their allocating after January 1'st, which means we need our sponsorship letters on their desk before December 1'st to get our spot in line. Hope this makes it a little clearer why things are so jumbled up this year. :wacko:

Psky2,

Good luck with your match by the way. Thanks for rooting for me, but I have a 3 year old vendetta to deal with.......will be shooting something other than Revolver for this match.

Information here:

http://www.teammagnolia.com/classic/

Hopalong

Edit to add:

More match conflicts.......Jerry and Kay will be at the Targeting Education/World shoot qualifier the same weekend as the Mississippi Classic. :(

Edited by hopalong

Not only the free beer..................

I'll one up John, If the Mississippi Classic gets 20 or more shooters in Revolver division One lucky shooter will get their Match fees back (Random draw).......

HOW's that? :)

And I won't even be shooting one this year.

Hopalong