Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeing Double With Both Eyes Open

Chris Conley

I have a problem of seeing double when looking at the sights with both eyes open. I see the sight just fine but the one target that have on the wall becomes two. Any way to stop this or am I just going to have to deal with it the best way I can? :mellow:

Chris C.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what Mike means is, put a piece of tape on your shooting glasses, over your non - shooting/dominant eye.

That probably makes more sense than taping your eye shut. :P

Yeah yeah........ you know what I meant. See if I give YOU any more Slide Glide. :P:P

Headhunter,

I wanted to mention that I actually DO this, which is why I say give it a try.

I shot while closing one eye until the last 6 months, and I have been working to keep both open, but I get double vision too when I do, hence the use of the tape.

-Mike

I have a problem of seeing double when looking at the sights with both eyes open. I see the sight just fine but the one target that have on the wall becomes two. Any way to stop this or am I just going to have to deal with it the best way I can? :mellow:

Chris C.

Perhaps you should see an optomitrist. We're hardly qualified to diagnose or correct visions problems here.

I too had the double vision problem. I tried the tape on glasses trick and didn't like it. That's probably because I use monovision corrective lenses. My dominant eye lense is set for focus on the front sight, my non-dominant eye for distance. When I use the tape on the lense, I can never see a clear target.

Also, something else I ran into that's not as common is a vertical alignment issue. So when I was seeing 2 sights, the non-dominant eye picture was higher than the "real" sight, so that's the one I saw first. Basically, you should see "- - " I was seeing " - _"

I found getting a prism correction in my glasses took care of that and now I am able to ignore the 2nd sight and only use the one my dominant eye sees. It might be worth getting your eyes checked for vertical and horizontal alignment.

Steve Pitt

Tried the tape ove the left eye on the saftey glasses and worked well. I guess I should have told you guys that I don't wear glasses and vision is better than perfect. I found that it really helped me relax better too. Question - How long will it take so that I don't have to wear the tape anymore? In my head I'm thinking depends upon the individual.

Thanks for the tip guys,

Chris C. B)

Edited by headhunter25

Tried the tape ove the left eye on the saftey glasses and worked well. I guess I should have told you guys that I don't wear glasses and vision is better than perfect. I found that it really helped me relax better too. Question - How long will it take so that I don't have to wear the tape anymore? In my head I'm thinking depends upon the individual.

Thanks for the tip guys,

Chris C. B)

Well, I've been doing it for about 6 months.....and still need to--but it is still MUCH better than closing an eye.

-Mike

Can you wear the tape on your glasses over one eye during a match. Sorry if this may sound stupid, I have never seen anyone do that.

Chris C.

Here is my routine: I carry the tape stuck to my 'barney' mag usually. At load and make ready, I first put the tape across the lens of my non dominant eye, then load up and am ready to go. When I fire the last shot, after unload and show clear, I pull tape back off and stick it either to my shirt or to a mag pouch. It's not a big deal all in all. Some people just have two pair of shooting glasses, one taped and one not, and just switch them when it's their turn to shoot. You've got a couple of options. Hope that helps.

-Mike

Edited by cnemikeman

Can you wear the tape on your glasses over one eye during a match. Sorry if this may sound stupid, I have never seen anyone do that.

Chris C.

Take a careful look at my book's cover and you'll see the trick positioning of the tape. I left it there all the time. Think about where you align the "bottom edge of the tape" like this: You want it so that, while in your "index" position, if you close your non-taped eye, you won't be able to see above your wrists/base of the hands. That method, for most, also allows you to "see under" the tape while doing anything but actually shooting. (Walking around, taping targets, moving through the stage, opening doors, etc.)

And on "how long will you have to do it"? There isn't an answer for that because it depends on the strength of your dominance. I pretty much always had to do it.

be

Question - How long will it take so that I don't have to wear the tape anymore? In my head I'm thinking depends upon the individual.

If you are like me, forever, or maybe until you get old and you can't see.

I agree with Loves to shoot. I got to a point (aging sucks) that I needed the tape more now. I decided that I have to use this method to see my front sight well. At one point I got frustrated that I switch to Open, but my love for Limited I could not ignore so now I shoot with the tape on my glasses. It's not to bad. You get use to it????

I suffered from this for years before I read Brian's book, it was an Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh moment, scores went up dramatically when I first started doing it. I put the tape on the inside of the glasses, you can hardly see it from the outside with a tinted lens.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a "newbie" in that I hadn't shot a gun (other than a 22 hunting rabbits 50 years ago) until about a year ago. Went to a USPSA local match with my son who wanted to shoot it. By the end of the match, just watching, I was hooked. Since then I have been shooting our local club's monthly match. I am one of those "close the left eye and sight with the right" - thought that was the way it was done. If I tried to keep both eyes open everything became fuzzy/double (was focusing on aligning the front/rear sight).

Well today, I go to see a buddy at the shop and we get to talking about last weekend's match (he's an "A" shooter). I told him I couldn't understand how he and the local GM/M's could acquire and shoot so fast. He says, "you're using both eyes, right?". Well I fess up and he tells me if I will just focus on the exact spot I want to hit on a target, the sights will pretty much align when I bring the gun up.

Is he pulling my leg.....I go home and try what he told me. Lo and behold it actually works! I try it a number of times and it is uncanny how the sights seem to automatically line up. Can't wait to go to the range tomorrow for some live fire testing. Doesn't seem like it would work but by golly, dry firing it seems to. Come on Sun, go down and then come up so I can head to the range.

Here's what I use, it can be removed and reapplied. It's a self-cling style vinyl type material. It comes in two sizes, I prefer the larger.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/a...p;type_id=38808

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?p...t=73&page=1

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=383683

Lori

This is the way to go. I still have the same set I bought 2yrs ago. They last forever. I think you get 5 or 6 different colors with the set, maybe more. I think this yr I'm going with the smaller size. I starte out with the tape and got tired of the glasses getting smeared and sticky. Then add some wind and dust and the glasses get to be a mess.

Flyin40

I suffered from this for years before I read Brian's book, it was an Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh moment, scores went up dramatically when I first started doing it. I put the tape on the inside of the glasses, you can hardly see it from the outside with a tinted lens.

Oh my. I've read BE's book, but I never tried the tape trick until tonight.............Holy smokies, I CAN SEE! I CAN SEE! :)