Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules Question

There is a upcoming IDPA match in my area and I want to use my new 1911. I have not classified in CDP. I am classified in ESP which is the division I compete most in. Can I use my 1911 .45 in ESP division? I believe I can, I just want to check. I know it is a liability compared to the 10+1 guns.

Thanks

Or use 9 round mags that fit into the box and start with 10 in the gun. A 1911 shooting a 200 gr SWC at 675-700 fps is really soft shooting. Makes really big holes too. Plus it just drives the IDPA Purists crazy. I do it on occasion when I know some of the Tactical Teds are going to be at a match.

You don't get 9-round .45 magazines, you make 9-round .45 magazines. They don't have to fit flush, they just have to let the gun fit The Box with magazine seated.

Joe D. did the first I have seen by cutting off 10-round mags until they would just fit The Box. I had my 'smith make up some likewise.

His have flanges bent onto the tubes to hold some sort of slide on floorplate-basepad, mine have the original (Metalform) floorplates silver soldered in place and dipped in Plastisol to give a little cushion for the reload without adding much length.

Edited by Jim Watson

Singlestack: It sounds like you have been talking to Merlin! I also shoot a STI 2011 in ESP but it is a 40. Using a 155 grain bullet with a power factor of 131 or so, it is great. Softer than factory 9mm and larger holes. The single stack 40 is great as well with 10+1 or 9+1 or 8+1. Thanks Eric

The real trick for ESP is a wide body .45 loaded to 10+1 with 200g swc and a PF of 135. Super soft, no recoil, BIG HOLES.

Been trying to work up my nerve for one of these. I have a barrel and slide on the shelf but nobody to assemble them on a suitable lower. I guess I could sell them and buy an Eagle, probably work out about the same net cost.