Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 Open Gun Suggestions?

ChrisMcCracken

I'm contemplating the prospect of setting up an open blaster. I think I would like to go with a Glock 35. Here's what I want:

Stainless Steel Frame from CCF race frames

Stainless Steel slide, likely Caspian, as this is the only maker I know.

Dr. Red-dot rebuilt and low mounted by Gram Engineering.

Possibly, low mounted iron sites that are exchangeable with the Dr. if Gram can manage.

KKM Compensated barrel

Tungsten guide rod and spring kit to play with

I would do all the trigger mods myself. I'd likely use a 3.5# connector from lone wolf, an ultimate trigger stop or some other form of stop to prevent over travel, a bend where the trigger spring attaches to shorten the travel before firing, and a whole lot of polishing. I'd even considering attaching something behind the trigger to function as a stop instead of the UTS, as I don't like the extra flex in the trigger bar that the UTS can cause. I'm also considering a siderlock trigger to replace the stock trigger because I like the way theirs is built with easy to access pins and a spring operated trigger safety. I'd probably leave their extra safety button off.

I'd like to get the frame and slide chrome finished to match if possible.

Has anyone setup something similar? I'm completely open to other suggestions of ideas I haven't though of or for alternate products to those I've listed.

Chris

Edited by Erucolindon

Merlin, would you mind giving me some reasons?

My reason for picking a .40 was to make it easier to make major. As I understand it, I could also get a 9mm barrel that would work in the .40, should I decide the extra ammo per mag was important. Like I said, I'm willing to rethink this though... easier now while its on the drawing board.

Chris

I have done a search using this phrase "40 and open" and..if you will wade throught the results HERE you will see a lot of good reasoning on the question you put forth. The answers are pretty spread out but you can see the major topics as you scroll through the pages of answers.... :)

There are several good threads on the second pages of results.... ;)

Merlin, Thank you! After posting, I figured it must be a topic of endless debate. I'll read through some of them.

Anyone else with ideas, substitute G34 or whichever model you prefer along with whatever other suggestions you have.

Edit: I would like this gun to be able to shoot Limited and Open, depending only on whether I have the Dr. optic or iron sites in place and whether I have the comp'd barrel in or not. I don't know how much impact this would have on caliber choice or other planning.

Edited by Erucolindon

Chris,

I'm glad you project gun isn't doable...because it's not a very good setup and you'd be wasting money on it. Get out...shoot some matches and see what others are using.

If you really decide you want to do an Open gun based on a Glock, then you should look to do so with a 3-pin G17. And, then...you should know enough about reloading for it that you can do so without any worries toward safety.

Stainless Steel Frame from CCF race frames

Nobody has seen them out anywhere...and on top of that, they don't have any history behind them.

Stainless Steel slide, likely Caspian, as this is the only maker I know.

Got one already...or know somebody that has one? They are reported to be hard to come by and they needs some tweaking as well.

Dr. Red-dot rebuilt and low mounted by Gram Engineering.

Beven seems to have work piled up well into the future, and those sights he was using and bullet-proofing don't seem to be making their way into the country anymore.

Possibly, low mounted iron sites that are exchangeable with the Dr. if Gram can manage.
His install of the DR. has the slide milled and buries the optic into the slide. To be able to interchange from optic to iron sights would mean using the existing dovetail to mount the optic...resulting in the optic being higher than what you are thinking of.
KKM Compensated barrel

Tungsten guide rod and spring kit to play with

Those are easy enough. Gotta be careful with balancing the springs...to keep from unlocking the slide just by pulling the trigger.

I'd like to get the frame and slide chrome finished to match if possible.

Sorry to throw such a wet blanket on your idea.

Chris,

I'm glad you project gun isn't doable...because it's not a very good setup and you'd be wasting money on it. Get out...shoot some matches and see what others are using.

Thats the plan, but I at least had to start somewhere in my head. Unfortunately there weren't many open guns at the last match I went to. Hopefully summer matches will have more people out than a rainy Sunday in January.

If you really decide you want to do an Open gun based on a Glock, then you should look to do so with a 3-pin G17. And, then...you should know enough about reloading for it that you can do so without any worries toward safety.

That makes sense. Any particular reason for the G17 over the G34? What about a long slide G17?

I'm working on getting my reload setup now, so I'll have plenty of time to become proficient.

Nobody has seen them out anywhere...and on top of that, they don't have any history behind them.

I'm not ready to give up on this one yet, but I may go ahead and buy a G17 first and then swap parts in and out rather than build it from scratch out of aftermarket components. That way I could get the gun and get it shooting well, then change the frame and see how it differs. I don't mind the history part so long as the product is well made. Nothing has a history until someone tries it. One reason to consider the stainless would be to correct any flex in the frame. Someone recently mentioned this flex as a reason to go with the G17 over the G34.

Got one already...or know somebody that has one? They are reported to be hard to come by and they needs some tweaking as well.

I don't mind ordering a component that will take a while, since I'm in no rush, but i'm curious about what extra tweaking may be involved. Alternately, I was just considering getting the stock slide refinished to match the frame if I did go with a stainless frame. If I had it drilled for to lighten it or add ports, I'd have to have it refinished anyway.

Beven seems to have work piled up well into the future, and those sights he was using and bullet-proofing don't seem to be making their way into the country anymore.

I'm certain they can still be had, and if not, there are a number of other clones. Some of which are supposed to be ok quality. I'd just rather go with something low profile rather than a c-more or tube.

His install of the DR. has the slide milled and buries the optic into the slide. To be able to interchange from optic to iron sights would mean using the existing dovetail to mount the optic...resulting in the optic being higher than what you are thinking of.

What I might see if Gram could do is make iron sites that attach to the milled/posted area the same as the optics do, sans dovetail. It would be a little higher than if the sights were buried themselves, but it might be a compromise that lets me shoot open & limited. If his setup is as good as it sounds, I shouldnt need to re-zero every time I swap either.

Those are easy enough. Gotta be careful with balancing the springs...to keep from unlocking the slide just by pulling the trigger.

Valid point, I hadn't considered it, but it sounds easy enough to look out for so long as you know it exists.

Sorry to throw such a wet blanket on your idea.

I don't mind a wetblanket so long as the points are valid. This gun is at least a year off, as its likely going to get funded by graduation money.

Edit: Fixed

Edited by Erucolindon

I just had JP Enterprises "melt in" a JPoint on my .40 STI Edge.

Not that I will ever be competitive in Open Class, but, for the fact that my eyes are aging. I saw no reason in dumping a lot of cash into a blaster when I just needed to upgrade my equipment to suit my needs. 10 years from now, it might need wheels...HaHaHa.

I'm sighting it in today....

The G34 slide is internally lightened to get it very close to the mass of the G17 slide. You don't really want to shoot a G34 to Major PF, the slide is very likely to crack.

Shooting a 9mm "conversion" barrel in a 40 breechface is fine for ppl who go shoot a box of factory ammo once a month, slowfire. That setup is NOT reliable enough to shoot in a match: you'd have to tune and tweek so often that you'd be the world's leading expert on extraction.

The stainless slide from Caspian will not come back - if ever - till after their HiCap 40 mags. Meaning about 2012.

SJC is really your best bet for what you want to do

BUT

I'd also take a good look at used STI guns and ask someone [like me] how to make them point up almost as nice as a Glock.

The G34 slide is internally lightened to get it very close to the mass of the G17 slide. You don't really want to shoot a G34 to Major PF, the slide is very likely to crack.

Shooting a 9mm "conversion" barrel in a 40 breech face is fine for ppl who go shoot a box of factory ammo once a month, slowfire. That setup is NOT reliable enough to shoot in a match: you'd have to tune and tweek so often that you'd be the world's leading expert on extraction.

The stainless slide from Caspian will not come back - if ever - till after their HiCap 40 mags. Meaning about 2012.

SJC is really your best bet for what you want to do

BUT

I'd also take a good look at used STI guns and ask someone [like me] how to make them point up almost as nice as a Glock.

Excellent points. My question about the G34 then would be whether a stainless steel CCF slide has that same problem. I'm not hung up on getting the Caspian. A standard slide, tweaked to my preferences would be fine. That conversion barrel info is exactly what i needed to know. I'm getting more amenable to shooting the 9mm. I guess the only other concern I have in going with 9mm would be how it limits my use of this gun in limited class. Would the 9mm be harder to make major in a limited gun compared to an open?

I'm looking at the STI guns for sure, but I've got zero experience with them. My predeliction to glocks stems completely from my familiarity with them, my ability to modify and tweak them myself, and their overall cost compared to other race guns. I am proficient enough with a glock trigger, that I'm sure I could get it shooting to whatever level I'd need to be competitive. The actuall form factor of how the gun points is not as significant for me. I do love the feel of a glock in my hand, especially the fact that the forward frame is the same width as the grip, making a high forward position with my supporting hand/thumb easy. I've just recently gotten good at controlling my G30 at rapid fire by modifying my hand position. I may get the same results with an STI, but I've never held one.

I'm a tinkerer by nature and love to do my own work. While I have no compunction shipping it out to get custom machining done, I would rather not have to do this for trigger tweaks. I'd appreciate any links or info you have that can enlighten me on the benefits of an STI and how to set one up to be competitive for as cheap as possible.

I don't exactly know why, but Glocks really are addictive.

Chris

Edited by Erucolindon

That makes sense. Any particular reason for the G17 over the G34? What about a long slide G17?

The common thinking is longer is worse, shorter is better. Think in terms of a lever arm and where the fulcrum point is.

I don't mind ordering a component that will take a while, since I'm in no rush...

I'll bet you'd find that you are in a bit more rush than CCF, Caspian and Beven (w/regards to milling for sights). You are probably looking at a year+ for the first of those three. I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall somewhere between two years and never...especially for all three. :o

Well for starters, no 9mm in Limited, 'cept Production, unless you want to shoot minor in Limited. That said, Glocks are cheap enough just get a G35 for Limited and build up a G17 for Open.

Since you're a tinkerer, take a G17 and send it to SJC Custom for basically work on the upper. Use their scope mount and a C-more and you'll be good to go. If you're really anti-C-more then go with a JPoint and put it on a mount that is frame mounted rather than slide mounted. I will never be convinced that slide mounting is faster than frame mounting. When you mount a dot to the frame it's not moving. When it's on the slide it is. Yes, I know it's a fraction of a second, but it's one where my eyes can track the dot rather than waiting for the dot to return to its focal plane wihin my line of sight.

Food for thought.

Rich

Jon...

SJC advertises Dave S's pistol as the first "Glock" to win a World Title ..

Why is it "not even a Glock"? Serious question!!! Not hassling ya OK!

I'm curious cos I've been drooling over those "Race Glocks" since I was first given a link to that site!!! :D

Well, I couldn't resist, so I must butt in...

I am presently working/building a "newfangled" Open-Glock for a good friend, (my lawyer?!)

But, (yes there is a but...) I am sick and tired of only having 9mm or .40 S&W as alternatives. So I am building it in .38 Super-Comp.

I am starting it with a Glock 20 and using a six inches barrel in one of my Hyper-Jet Comps (of course! ;) ) The slide is being extensively lightened. Yes, it will be using a Docter red-dot sight, but it just as well could use a C-More.

There were a few "logistics" to consider, but they have been worked out.

As for using the same frame for Open and/or Limited, this is doable, but I would recommend using dedicated guns for dedicated jobs, and save the hassles of switching parts back and forth.

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

I am presently working/building a "newfangled" Open-Glock for a good friend, (my lawyer?!)

But, (yes there is a but...) I am sick and tired of only having 9mm or .40 S&W as alternatives. So I am building it in .38 Super-Comp.

I am starting it with a Glock 20 and using a six inches barrel in one of my Hyper-Jet Comps (of course! ;) ) The slide is being extensively lightened. Yes, it will be using a Docter red-dot sight, but it just as well could use a C-More.

As for using the same frame for Open and/or Limited, this is doable, but I would recommend using dedicated guns for dedicated jobs, and save the hassles of switching parts back and forth.

This I would like to see when you get it finished. Please post pics and a review of performance when completed.

This I would like to see when you get it finished. Please post pics and a review of performance when completed.

Glockspeed 31-

Actually, Iam working on two Open Glocks. One is the .38 SuperComp for my "friend/lawyer" in the large Glock frame. The other one is for myself, and a little bit more conventional in .357 Sig built in a Glock 23. Both have the six inches barrels with the Hyper-Jet Comps. The .38 SuperComp is getting the Docter sight while the .357 Sig will sport the C-More. This is a project I wanted to do for a while but didn't have the time, and while I still don't have the time to spare I thought it was time. So I took the plunge. They should be ready within a month or so. I'll post some pictures, but I still expect them to look like what they are: Glocks. (L.O.L. :D:lol: )

I am a Glock "Stocking Dealer", so I must do what I can to promote them. Not that they are doing badly without my help. ;)

So I guess now I will split my time between shooting the "alphabet" guns, (SVI/STI) and Glock. Eeny, meany, miney, moe ...

Edited by Radical Precision Designs