Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Achilles Tendon Pain?

dfwmiket

I have started noticing lately that after lengthy training sessions or wearing my cleats for much time, I have pain and soreness in my achilles tendons-- more one side than the other, but both are a bit sore. Has anyone else suffered this? What did you do to fix it?

I'm sitting here with both ankles wrapped in ice right now, but I'd certainly like to hear of suggestions to alleviate the problem instead of just treating it.

-Mike

They seem to fit ok......not really the most comfortable shoes in the world, but never really expect them to be. I may need some with more cushion or something.....hard to say. Next time I wear them, I'll pay closer attention.

-Mike

I suffer from this as well from sports injuries. It is most noticable during the first 15 minutes of my jogging routine. The best way to combat it is to strech the hell out of your legs and feet before physical activity. I can tell when I have not streched enough (like today) and the pain is unbearable.

Heat wraps before and after also help tremendously.

With the cleats, it's possible that they are gripping the ground a bit too well and that, when you start to move, you're applying torque your ankle while the foot is planted/stationary. Pain will show up where the torque is greatest -- starts in your ankle, may progress to your knee-hip-low back with repetitive stress.

Be aware of your body position when you set the cleats and when you push off. What are the vectors of force across your feet & lower legs? Which direction? Is there a way to lessen some of the mechanical stress and still achieve the stability you want? Needing to pack your ankles in ice after a practice session indicates that something is not right.

For PB, with good shoes and persistent pain, I'm not sure if you've already explored the 'pronate/supinate' question of your running stride. Athletic trainers or physical therapists can watch you walk/run on a treadmill and tell you how your foot is rolling through the stride. I suppose you could do some of this at home with a video camera focused on your feet on the treadmill. Running shoes come in hundreds of varieties to accommodate pronation/supination, mid foot stability, various types of rolling on the heel strike, etc. I'm not sure if cleats come in as many variations.

Pain while running may be due to other factors -- Q-angle at the knee and variations in the hip-pelvis-low back anatomy. Some of us are anatomically better suited to running than others. If pain persists despite gradual conditioning, and if you don't seem to be making progress, then it may be time to figure out why, then adjust your training accordingly.

I have started noticing lately that after lengthy training sessions or wearing my cleats for much time, I have pain and soreness in my achilles tendons-- more one side than the other, but both are a bit sore. Has anyone else suffered this? What did you do to fix it?

I'm sitting here with both ankles wrapped in ice right now, but I'd certainly like to hear of suggestions to alleviate the problem instead of just treating it.

-Mike

I can't comment on the cleat's role in the problem, but problem sounds like achilles tendonitis. Negatives (heavy load eccentric calf exercises) are reported to work well for treating the tendonitis, and from my own experience I have confirmed this.

You can google it for more detailed info...

• 3 weeks later...

The pain is probably greater in the morning for you when you first wake up and roll out of bed other than after training and shooting. The first thing is to ice it after training and before sleep. I suffer from the same problems. I had an x-ray and it revealed a heel spur under the achilles tendon. Some type of arch support by the way of shoe inserts usually take the excess pressure off the tendon. You can also get a boot to sleep in that bends the foot at night to releave pressure off the tendon as you sleep. Lastly, subcutaneous (transdermal) steriod application made the difference to me. Good luck! TK

• 7 years later...

I have this in my right foot right where the tendon attaches to the heel it hurts after every match. Ice helps stretching and wearing an ankle brace while at the range has helped. I thought it was my shoes at first so I went to 6" boots and same thing it must be an old age thing

I never had any real ankle injuries this just started happening the last few months.

Please post any cures you may have.

I had a similar issue with heel pain. What finally fixed it for me was cushioned insoles in all of my shoes. Look for ones with thickness in the heel, not the thin, flat ones. The ones I have are Red/Yellow in color and say SOFSOLE on the bottom. They came from Famous Footwear. The brand was on the sole but I can't read it. These have lots of cushion in the heel and really helped me.

Very light, one leg calf raises on a machine at the gym also seemed to give me some relief.

Any number of things can drive this including simple repetitive trauma if you are a distance runner/walker. Sometimes it is the Achilles tendon itself that is the problem but also it can be the tendon sheath getting inflamed. Treatment is rest/NSAIDs and ice initially. If no luck with that a cortico-steroid injection and more rest is the next step. (small pun). The wife does a lot of distance work and ended up with the injection and a ban on running for 5 weeks. We rotate three sets of well fit shoes that she rotates and we replace them regularly. Age is also not your friend.