Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miculek Brake

eringobragh

Hey gang,

Can the Miculek brake be used and timed up with a CRUSH WASHER instead of the lock nut that comes with it? A pic or two would be great if anyone has indeed done this!

Don't think so, the brake bottomed out without the locknut (at least on my barrel anyway). You can make it look really nice by timing the lock nut to fit without gap, but that's all.

I dont know where to get them at but my JP comp came with a PEEL washer. You peel a .001 piece from the washer and screw the comp back on. You keep doing this until you get it clocked and then locktite it on there.

The peel washer is made of compressed shims that make it apear as if its a solid washer.

post-2671-1170443781.jpgHere IS a Miculek Brake installed without the locknut and with a peel washer.

I drilled out the dirt accumulating "non working" baffle to make this work.

I used my lathe but if you are careful and accurate this could be accomplished with a

drill press and a tap.

Good luck

Patrick

Basically you have to drill out the remaining material to the first port and then tap it. My procedure is to set it up in a v-block in a vise, indicate the OD to find center, Drill 1/64" under, ream to .461", then tap to the first port. I also add a couple of vertical holes in the front two ports later on.

Fastshooter03

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

post-2671-1170443781.jpgHere IS a Miculek Brake installed without the locknut and with a peel washer.

I drilled out the dirt accumulating "non working" baffle to make this work.

I used my lathe but if you are careful and accurate this could be accomplished with a

drill press and a tap.

Good luck

Patrick

When i get my brake in i am thinking about asking the gunsmith to drill/tap through the "non working" baffle. Can anyone see any downsides to this modification?

POF uses a threaded collar jam nut that is nice. not sure if is their part or whos. It tightens down and the collar covers extra threads that are usually visible. Here is a pic from their website. Not suggesting this comp just the collar. It is hard to tell in this pic but it looks like the collar is backwards from the way it shouild install.

post-6891-003975200 1294884561_thumb.jpg

Edited by dstroyed

I continued the minor diameter hole required to tap 1/2x28 through the rear baffle, leaving only the first two 'wipers' then used a tap to thread....on my 16inch barrel this "seems" to moderate the blast, and along with a Enidine buffer does not come off target with a 4x32 at 500y clay birds....if you can't find a peel washer and are an old drag racer, try some different thickness solid copper spark plug washers or spark plug crush washer if necessary... with 28threads per inch, approximately .036 inch needs to be faced off comp for a complete rotation of the comp... .009 inch for 1/4 turn.. .003inch for each cardinal clock position.... if you plan on clocking

Edited by Les Snyder