Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Release "off Side"

jostein jensen

I'm a rookie shooter so I need some advice...

I'm waiting on my Edge and I know I will need a big button to reach it without changing my grip, and I suck at that. I've read a lot of things against big buttons regarding table starts, mishaps with mags releasing when they shouldn't and weak hand shooting.

I was toying with the idea of moving the button to the other side, if it can be done. I think I can be much faster with the index finger on the button on the other side, than my thumb is on the "right" (left :P) side.

Can it be moved to the other side on an STI and is it a big job?

do any of you have experience with the index finger technique? Lefties, please share as this is mostly your field I guess...

thanx in advance

Jostein.

I'm waiting on my Edge and I know I will need a big button to reach it without changing my grip, and I suck at that.

You may be trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing. Lots a great shooters (and thousands of mediocre ones) shift their grip for mag changes. I have big hands and still shift my grip, I think I'd need a really long paddle button or another 1/2" of thumb if I didn't want to shift my grip. Just an FYI, I'm one of the mediocre shooters out there, but I'm busting my butt to improve.

I shoot lefty and I love the fat release on the left side. If you use your index finger to release the mag, your finger cant be near the trigger so I dont see how switching it over for right handers would be asking for DQ's if they switched it up... but then again I'm not right handed, but when I practice righty, my thumb is killing after 20 minutes and my reloads are SLOOOWW.. :huh:

<_< The RO's see your finger - not -out so they think you have it in the trigger guard.

I went back to a regular one, as with my grip sanded my hand sqweezed the girp so hard that the mag would not drop untill I let up on my grip. = It was eazyer to just go with the norm and use my thumb.

I think it is faster at get the mag -out- my problem was & is getting the mag IN.

:wacko:

I used a S&A ambi release on my Para. I tried using one because I was having issues with accidentally releasing the mag with my support hand when my palm would brush against the standard mag release when the gun recoiled. Figuring right side release would probably work better, nope. The button ended up brushing up against my middle finger on my right hand and continued to drop mags. In the end, back to using a left side release with an extra heavy spring.

I didn't have an issue with using the right side release due to the fact I got started in shooting with an HK and always used the trigger finger to release the mag.

I shoot lefty and I love the fat release on the left side. If you use your index finger to release the mag, your finger cant be near the trigger so I dont see how switching it over for right handers would be asking for DQ's if they switched it up... but then again I'm not right handed, but when I practice righty, my thumb is killing after 20 minutes and my reloads are SLOOOWW.. :huh:

+1 I love using the trigger finger for the reload. Your finger can't be on the trigger if its hitting the mag release. Its fast hitting the release with your index finger too.

If you a right hander and want to switch to that mag release you'll run into a problem down the road which is why most don't switch. You'll eventually be shooting a gun that you can't modify or they don't make a part to allow you to switch the release. So now you have to learn how to use that thumb. So why not just learn from the get go. I'm not sure about in Production division but I imagine you can't modify the release or it would make the Production gun Illegal.

Flyin40

Day job?? I don't really have a day job sir.

I think too many people worry about changing thier grip durring a mag change. If you watch the top shooters you will notice almost all of them shift the pistol a little to change a mag. A great example of this is the picture on the cover of Matt's DVD of him "looking in" a mag change. you will notice the gun has been shifted a bit. Now I'm no top shooter by any means, but I shift the heck out of my pistol doing a mag change and I can usually do a mag change in 1.25-1.5 seconds. Yea it aint a 1 second load, but it is very consistent. I wouldn't worry about it and just do a bit of dry practice. Enjoy your new pistol! Kurt Miller

Jostein:

This is the exact technique I use.. I'm a right handed shooter, but my mag release is also on the right..

I use my middle finger to release the mag.. and I don't even use the end of my finger,, I use the "pad" which is closest to the palm (Eg, between the knuckle and first joint).. All I do is squeeze my middle finger, and the mag pops out.. no thumb changes (it stays on the safety. No change in grip etc.)

it's a bit rough on the hand at first, but once you have a good tough spot built up on you hand it's easy..

I use the Mitchell right side mag release as well. When I go for a mag change, my index finger rides along the frame and my middle finger rides against the bottom of the trigger guard. This puts the mag release button on the first segment of my middle finger. The spring is light enough that it doesn't take much force to release the mag. No worries on table starts either.