Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Found Something Odd When Cleaning

ParaJoe

Specifics of pistola

Third Gen G22/ RS Trigger kit/ SS Guide Rod with 13 lb recoil spring/ CGR Racecut Heinie's/

Extended Controls

Ammo

180 Masterblaster bullet/ 3.6gr Titegroup/ Federal SPP/ 90% Winchester Brass once or twice fired

I keep finding what seems to be brass shavings in my striker channel. They are all over the spring cups, the spring, and through the channel all the way back to the backing plate. There are hardly any in the extractor channel. The gun is running 100%.

Anybody got any ideas?

Joe

Specifics of pistola

Third Gen G22/ RS Trigger kit/ SS Guide Rod with 13 lb recoil spring/ CGR Racecut Heinie's/

Extended Controls

Ammo

180 Masterblaster bullet/ 3.6gr Titegroup/ Federal SPP/ 90% Winchester Brass once or twice fired

I keep finding what seems to be brass shavings in my striker channel. They are all over the spring cups, the spring, and through the channel all the way back to the backing plate. There are hardly any in the extractor channel. The gun is running 100%.

Anybody got any ideas?

Joe

idea:

sharp edge of striker hole in breech face is shaving brass from your case head during feeding/extraction, as the cartridge casehead is being dragged across the breech face itself.

possible action #1: gently radius the edges of the striker hole in the breech face.

possible action #2: the piece runs fine. Leave it alone and just clean the striker channel at routine intervals.

I will check my striker channel tonight for similar brass shavings... will post results for your reading pleasure...

Specifics of pistola

Extended Controls

Ammo

Anybody got any ideas?

Joe

I will check my striker channel tonight for similar brass shavings... will post results for your reading pleasure...

I checked my striker channel. No brass residue at all, just black sooty residue. Also looked at breech face and striker hole... it looks like the edges are radiused very slightly. I don't know if it came from the factory or if the original owner did it. I am the second owner.

Put stock springs back in it and shoot it, I would bet a donut and a cup of coffee the shavings stop.

:o

HSMITH,

I didn't even think of that, but it seems to make sense. If I understand you correctly, then:

light springs may be allowing premature unlocking

the slide is moving rearward and the barrel dropping while the case is containing pressure

pressurized case is forced hard against breechface during movement

case+pressure+slidemovement=shaving brass off casehead

Is this the idea?

Edited to correct my lousy grammar

Edited by big_kahuna

possible action #2: the piece runs fine. Leave it alone and just clean the striker channel at routine intervals.

Out of sheer laziness this seems to be the best option. I'm going about 1500 rounds between cleaning as is so that will be the new interval. Now if I can count that high is another story.

Joe

That's my experience with my Glocks as well. I think that somehow the brass is being shaved by the extractor, maybe while chambering a round from the mag... It's now a cleaning point as when I did have Glock malfunctions it was due to he brass buildup inside the striker/extractor/firing pin block channels.

This was with the factory recoil springs and aftermarket ISMI.

• 2 months later...

For what it's worth my G34 gets a lot of brass shavings in the channel too. Its got all aftermarket springs.

Also, a used G35 I just picked up (still had the copper paste on rails) and cleaned up real good had significant brass in channel too.

Impressive analysis a few posts back.......with striker hole shaving the brass on case.

BlackBuzzard

Specifics of pistola

Extended Controls

Ammo

Anybody got any ideas?

Joe

I checked my striker channel. No brass residue at all, just black sooty residue. Also looked at breech face and striker hole... it looks like the edges are radiused very slightly. I don't know if it came from the factory or if the original owner did it. I am the second owner.

My HP did the same thing. It was "primer flow" back into the hole in the breech face and then sheared off as the case was extracted. Every time I sprayed cleaner after shooting it looked like I had panned for gold.

Look at your fired brass and see if the primer face has a "sheared" or "wiped" appearance.

The fix is to "radius" the firing pn hole in the breech face a touch.

Edited by bountyhunter

Glocks tend to be very hard on brass from the standpoint of shaving those little chips. What you're seeing is normal. It causes no real problems. Ignore it and drive on.

Put stock springs back in it and shoot it, I would bet a donut and a cup of coffee the shavings stop.

I'll bet it doesn't. It happens even in totally stock Glocks.

My 35 runs exclusively on a diet of plated bullets which are crimped significantly enough to begin to remove shavings from the mouth of once fired brass. The gun has never ever failed to chamber a round and the brass shavings get everywhere inside the action. I haven't cleaned it in over 5000 rounds and it still performs flawlessly.

Dave Sinko