Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2002 Infinity Open results

A 1.02 reload???  Damn!  That thing keeps gettin' faster and faster!  What do you think Tomizzie?  I think we can get that thing down in the the 0.90's!   Hell, that's what it should've been, right?  

TRAVIS IS DA MAN!!!!!

MattB.

And tough enough for you as well??  :-)

Well first of all the match was great fun, and the prize table was awesome.  What would I change you asked?  Well I would be sure that you had dedicated RO's.  It's hard to run a stage consistantly when you have roaming RO's.  I think having those two stages on the same bay was silly, especially with all the moving targets, plus it became back logged.  The Standards? stage was a little silly, it became a track meet, whiched helped me but still seemed a little silly.  (Although one match I shot this weekend set it back up...hmmm?)  Some sort of food/concessions would have been nice.  Thank god we brough our own cooler.  

Now seeing how I have run a LARGE match I know what kind of effort goes inro putting one of these matches on.  Obviously you guys were short handed when it came to RO's and help.  A LOT of Good things happened as well.  Free lunch every day, even for spectators.  HUGE prize table.  Lots of friendly people.  All-n-all a GOOD match that can only get better.  Plus I got to meet Erik and BSeevers, two real nice guys.  I believe if you hold this match next year you will fill it up a head of time.  Thanks for al the hard work, I did not mean to sound unappreaciative, because I was appreciative. :-)

Sorry Paul but I am going to go on a rant here.

"It's hard to run a stage consistantly when you have roaming RO's.  I think having those two stages on the same bay was silly, especially with all the moving targets, plus it became back logged.  The Standards? stage was a little silly, it became a track meet, whiched helped me but still seemed a little silly."

Actually the RO's were worked on scheduled 4 hour shifts and yes it is hard to get people to work a match. So what you are saying is that there was inconsistency in RO'ing? If so can you point out when?

Sometimes a stage becomes backlogged but that can happen when the rest of the match runs ahead of time. Something that seems to be a rarity in this sport. I still don't understand why you considered that silly though. Was it because people didn't get time to prep in-between stages? I have seen this at many matches and haven't heard of any complaints yet. Sounds like something to practice. :-)

The standards was a wash if you could shoot. Nice to have a standards that had a choice of shooting far away or close. I think it was Jojo that stayed at 30 and shot it great. BTW he was second on the stage. :-) Why was that silly? Sorry you kind of lost me there. Do you realize how many people in our sport can't hit a 30 yard target 6 times, much less 18? Why not give them a chance to have a good score on a standards for once in their life? Yeah, I know they should practice but guess what, that is the backbone of our sport!

I guess I am just confused about your complaints, you wanted concessions and yet you said thanks that lunch was provided. Do you mean we didn't keep up with drinks, food or what? The whole point was that you would need to spend extra bucks when you got to the range.

"Thanks for al the hard work, I did not mean to sound unappreaciative, because I was appreciative."

I am glad you enjoyed the match, it just sounded like you didn't.

The match was pretty enjoyable for me. I was trying to get used to shooting an open gun again which took the first day. One jam in the match at the wrong time sure screwed me up. It happened going to the turning (appearing target) so about 4 seconds and two misses. Now if I am going to bitch, its about the new USPSA rule on dissappearing targets that show up twice counting for hard misses! Thats a bunch of crap. This just got added in the last rule book for those of you that missed it.

I look forward to next years match and have a feeling that we will be full in the first week of sign ups.

:-)

Matt,

Sounds like a good match...seems like everyone wants to return.

I don't see anyone's posts here as complaints...these guys are just offering feedback from their perspective...take it easy on them please. :)

Sounds like it was a good experience all around.

Flex, I guess one of the things that makes me sick in this sport (uh oh another thing for the hate page) is when people complain, but don't make suggestions on how to fix the problem or recommendations for next time. If someone thinks the stages were silly, fine - just tell us how to make them better next time.

Thats all, along with having a nicotine fit since I quit about a week ago. Maybe I am the one being a bitch and over sensitive.

:-P

Thanks Brad, and great shooting with you! Congrats on taking 2nd in the best division.

Congrats to Adam Popplewell, for winning a Major with only like 3 years of competitive experience….an awesome shooter, and an awesome person!

Strizzy! Considering your load was just as fast, I think that makes you da man! Hey, a 1.0 coming off a bobber and loading to a popper isn’t so bad….maybe low "B" class, huh? You know, we had to add at least .35 additional follow through for the moving target. Too bad you fell off the ramp on that one stage….it easily cost you the match win!

TRAVIS IS DA MAN!!!!!

It’s not me, it’s the Caspian! It’s truly an unfair advantage. Hey, it’s no coincidence that 3 out of the top 5 Open shooters at the Infinity Open were using Caspian’s. But keep that between us, ‘cause I don’t want Adam showin’ up with one….he doesn't need an advantage.

Matt B: I've been to nine USPSA national matches. I can't remember any other matches I've been to where the same RO is on the same stage every day, but I'm sure there's one or two. That's what I appreciate the most about the nationals.

You asked Paul W what was inconsistent about the ROing at the Infinity Open. I'll butt in: Stage 4, the one thrown out due to... inconsistent ROing. Different ROs had different ways of dealing with real and imagined shoot-throughs.

Butting in again on what's silly: a mandatory reload with a single penalty for failure to reload. The stand-or-run standards was sort of silly, sort of neat.

The multiple exposure miss rule sucks ass.

I also hate when people do have a complaint, or I'd rather think of it as contructive critizism, and closed minded people take offense to it because they feel they can do no wrong.  You asked me what I would change and I told you.  You asked me what I thought was silly and I told you.  And I keep saying that it was a good match and I had a blast, so why do you just shun any opinion I have?  Because i had a poor match and you beat me, thus I'm not worthy of an opinion?  GEEEZZZZZ!!!!!

Bottom line is I'd shoot it again, just like it was, but things can always be better, well most of the time.  

The multiple exposure miss rule sucks ass.

I agree. Can anyone give a logical explanation as to why this rule doesn’t seriously suck? What was the BOD smoking when they passed this mess?

Let’s keep it simple….if it doesn’t stay visible, no penalties.

Travis,

Being a caspian fanatic can you tell me if it's a significant pain in the ass when doing reloads? Reloading a metal mag into a metal magwell seems like it would stick more tham a plastic handle. Also maybe i was smoking too much but didn't you have a SV shirt on in vegas? when did they start building steel guns? lol

When the board approved the rules, we did not discuss the multiple exposure rule. That came later when John Amidon, who is a strict constructionist when it comes to the rules, was asked to rule on multiple exposures. He rules according to what the written rules say, rather than take a guess as to what the author intended. (we would be in much better shape if the US Supreme Court would follow John's example, but I digress).   Although I have not polled the other board members, it was (in my opinon - certainly with respect to my vote) an "unintended consequence" of the syntax used for the disappearing target rule, not a design intent.

Rob,

Thank you for the reply and the explanation. Maybe it's just me, but it seems severe for the shooter who has a malfunction after shooting the activator.

Hi James,

No shirt…I hope you didn’t confuse me with Taran "Hairspray" Butler or Rob "Da Wood" Woods (hi guys). Yeah, I was highly unsuccessful in selling SV on the steel grip concept. That’s a good question. It definitely isn’t a pain in the ass, and just about as slick on the change. It’s slightly less forgiving on the angle of insertion. The nice thing is they tend to eject the spent mag quicker under a variety of angles and positions. Of course, the real payoff is when you pull the trigger.

On another note, thanks to Dave Uchida and the entire staff of the Infinity Open. They set a precedent at this match that I'm hoping others will follow. Dave sure made trophy matches look silly.

• 2 weeks later...